WHwest8597

Best Battery

bo dawg

I've been using Exide batteries from Menards reasonable priced too. Buy them, take home, put in, and fire it up. They seem to last so far, oldest one has been 5 yrs still going strong.  Just now had to charge one for an hr or so from sitting over winter and turns over good last 4 times in 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

WHX??

You keeping them on a maintainer Bo @bo dawg? The Major says they don't help for corroision @pfrederi but I like your thinking about knowing which is which in a dark shed.

Bonacker

motorcycle battery 

Forest Road

I use whatever my dealer has. Also

leave a solar battery charger on each machine. Haven't had to jump start a tractor in years! 

DennisThornton
On 4/4/2017 at 11:50 AM, Molon_Labe said:

Batteries are a science unto themselves. In most cases the battery with the lowest amp hour rating capable of doing the job will last longer than a higher amp hour battery due to plate density. Battery cases are size specific, the amount of material that goes into them is at the manufacturers discretion to produce the desired current. The higher the current rating the more dense the lead plates and more reduced the space for the plates to grow during the discharge cycle. For my GT's I don't use anything over 230 CCA and they last an average of 7+ years with proper maintenance.

Here's a good reference site to see who actually manufactures what brands

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#M

I followed the link and I'll have to change my earlier comment.  Seems there are TONS of battery manufactures now, though perhaps few in the US.

21 hours ago, Molon_Labe said:

35 amp 15kHz pulse width modulator

What's this for?

bo dawg
12 hours ago, WHX11 said:

You keeping them on a maintainer Bo @bo dawg? The Major says they don't help for corroision @pfrederi but I like your thinking about knowing which is which in a dark shed.

I don't do anything to them. Use them all summer and put up for winter and then fire them back up in the spring.

WHX??
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

though perhaps few in the US.

Yeah I think the EPA here made battery manufacturing here too pricey.

11 hours ago, Forest Road said:

Also

leave a solar battery charger on each machine

I am going to look into a setup like that that would do multiple batteries.

You should start a thread on that info you sent me Major about the modulator, I know I would like to see how it's done!

CATdude

I need to replace the battery in my C-100 and can't find an exact match.  What options are available?  Looking for the same case size to avoid changing mounting arrangement.

pfrederi

22NF but they are getting expensive.

CATdude

Does that battery have posts? I prefer to leave the cables as is if possible.

pfrederi

Yes posts...I believe type 51 also will fit but they have side terminals

shallowwatersailor
On 4/4/2017 at 9:05 AM, WHX11 said:

Took a battery in to Batteries Plus where it was bought in 09 so I I guess that on went the 4-5 years & then some. Guy at B+ said 2-3 years at best. This is what he sold me for a replacement, 35 bucks & $5 rebate witch I didn't think was the worse. Time will tell on longevity.

20170403_173217[1].jpg

The battery finally died on my truck today and searched online for a replacement. Found the Batteries Plus site for a Duracell brand and checked it out. I have an 8.1 liter GM Vortec which needs a decent battery to turn it over. They were about $40.00 cheaper for a comparable battery (3 year full replacement too) than the auto parts stores - plus another 10% off the whole order if paid online! With the savings I purchased my third Battery Tender. 

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

squonk

Funny battery charger story:

I was working at Napa and an old guy comes in. The other counter guy waits on him and the fellow wants to order a solar battery charger. We had an outside source for tools and eq. so he orders the guy a Solar brand charger. Guy comes in a few days later for his charger. Counter guy whips out this nice Solar 2/10/50A charger. Guy says, no I wanted a solar charger that runs off the sun! :)

• Like 1

oliver2-44

As others have said a trickle charger helps a lot. The other big factor is temperature. Years ago our very large industrial back up battery banks at work never lasted more than 5 -10 years at best. We put  AC in our battery rooms and now they last 20 years. 

with the Texas heat I'm very happy if I get 3 years out of a garden tractor battery, that been kept on a trickle charger.  (I have a friend in the Colorado (lives at El. 8500 ft) that claims he gets 10 years out of car batteries, I'm doing good to get 4 years   

• Like 1

WHX??

I agree on the temperature thing Oliver since it's  a proven fact that the chemical reactions in a battery slow down at lower temps. It's always been suggested that one keeps carbon pile (flashlite) batteries in the fridge or freezer. That might explain why your bud gets better life in the Rockies. I always brought the batts into the heated shop on trickles for winter. May have to change that habit and leave them in the unheated barn. I really don't know how many years I get out of a GT batt......will have to start tracking that.

@shallowwatersailor how old was your truck batt that crapped out?  The batt on my truck went south last year just as we were leaving for the BS, ran in quick to a NAPA but all they had  on hand was the 170 dollar replacement so what was I gonna do? Push the truck with a 7k lb trailer to the next stop? Does have a 7 year warranty tho.  

Truth be told I think I got shafted by B+ a couple of times but this time I (hopefully) did right by them. Sounds like you did all right too ....40 clams is pretty big savings to crank over a motor that size.

shallowwatersailor
16 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

@shallowwatersailor how old was your truck batt that crapped out?  The batt on my truck went south last year just as we were leaving for the BS, ran in quick to a NAPA but all they had  on hand was the 170 dollar replacement so what was I gonna do? Push the truck with a 7k lb trailer to the next stop? Does have a 7 year warranty tho.  

Truth be told I think I got shafted by B+ a couple of times but this time I (hopefully) did right by them. Sounds like you did all right too ....40 clams is pretty big savings to crank over a motor that size.

I bought this truck six years ago and it is a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD with currently 55,000 miles (bought it with 29,000!). The battery in it was a Sears Diehard but I don't know how long ago it was installed. I figure that I got enough life out of it. The replacement is 800 CCA; 880 CCA is the largest capacity in that size and another $80-$160 more so not too bad.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

The best battery I ever had was in the S10 I bought new in '95 the factory ACDELCO lasted 7 years and 150k miles replaced it with another ACDELCO from Kmart nonetheless and 3 years and another 100k miles when I finally traded it off it was still cranking it over, I also used to be into the mega boom bass :music-deathmetal: rocking power hungry sound systems so for them to last that long was tops in IMO, Jeff.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

My local battery [only] supply store handles Deka so I use them.

Bonacker

MY Brother likes motorcycle batteries he says gets 6 to 7 years out of them I might try them when i need too

TDF5G
13 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The best battery I ever had was in the S10 I bought new in '95 the factory ACDELCO lasted 7 years and 150k miles replaced it with another ACDELCO from Kmart nonetheless and 3 years and another 100k miles when I finally traded it off it was still cranking it over, I also used to be into the mega boom bass :music-deathmetal: rocking power hungry sound systems so for them to last that long was tops in IMO, Jeff.

Delco's are the best batteries I've ever had experience with.  It's the only thing I ever buy.  My dad got 10 years out of one once in a Chevy S10.  He's going on 7 years currently in a Buick Lesabre.  He is retired and doesn't drive daily.  With my daily drivers I've gotten up to 6-8 years out of some of them.  Only saw one ever leak, got it replaced under warranty.  They are very well sealed batteries.

• Like 3

Sarge

Original equipment Toyota batteries - no idea who makes them but they last forever even if abused . Other favorite is a Deka...

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SML Wheel Horse
On 4/5/2017 at 12:42 PM, Tankman said:

I'm voting for Exide and Interstate batteries.

I don't expect more than 3-4 years from any battery.

If I'm not using a tractor frequently, I do use (when I remember to) a trickle charger from time to time. No schedule.

Weather permitting, barn doors open run the engines a bit.

Grandsons need something to do? A short ride to our local airport, 100 Octane LL (Low Lead) Ethanol Free, fill a few gas cans.

Not enough for the boys with cabin fever? I have work for my WHA (Wheel Horse Addicted) laborers!

Charlie_Linus.jpg.d9972c2535f4da4927446157688fe795.jpg

ok   tankman

where did you work ??

AHS

Oh ya battery’s have gone downhill over the last 20 years. There are two grades at lawn and garden.. like 290 CCA and 400CCA ..... I always go with the 400. I’ve had problems with the cheap ones...they will start a tractor for a year.. but that’s about it!  I do take care of my batteries...trickle charge them for a night when the next morning is gonna be snow and 5 degrees!!

• Like 1

johnnymag3

Interstate Batterys for me    Crazy dependable    . Have them in all of my tractors, one is 10 years old. Keep them clean, keep them charged. Keep them in a temperature stable area also...Best 45 dollars ever spent on each of them. Treat them right, and they will take care of you

Edited by johnnymag3

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Interstate Batterys for me    Crazy dependable    . Have them in all of my tractors, one is 10 years old. Keep them clean, keep them charged. Keep them in a temperature stable area also...Best 45 dollars ever spent on each of them. Treat them right, and they will take care of you

Not my experience.  The local auto ports store used to carry Interstate. so that is what i bought.  I think they have an internal self destruct system at 36 months...  Store switched to Dekka so that is what i use now.  I have batteries in 18 WHs

Edited by pfrederi