Horseless

Need Advice on new tractor buy

Horseless

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and tractor scene. I'm in the market for a decent reasonably priced used GT. I've been looking for a while for a good package. I have about an acre to mow. I also have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway. The yard has trees and some slope to it in front. The drive has a couple of long fairly steep up and down sections. I'd like to mow,push/blow snow,grade the drive,pull a cart,and drag some trees from the woods. I've been eyeing a couple of WH rigs. I was looking for advice as to what would suit my needs best. #1.  WH 312-8 w/front blade,weights,chains,42" deck,winch,AG tires pretty clean $850. #2. WH 520h 60" deck,weights,chains pretty clean $950 #3. WH 10 auto (w/12hp Koehler)  Front blade,42" deck very clean AND a WH B-165 42" deck clean $750 for both. Also found a couple of green rigs with blades 212 for $750. 175 for $700. I like the 312 but didn't know how much of a pain it would be mowing around the trees. But with package 3 I could use the b165 for mowing and the 10 auto for working. I was just concerned about the hills with the hydros. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 3

roadapples

520H sounds good depending on hrs and condition. With an acre to mow and a 1/4 mile to plow or blow, I`d be looking for 14-16hp or larger...:twocents-02cents:    and  :WRS:

• Like 2

farmer

If it were me (and it was in good condition) I would go for the 312. 

Bomb proof 12 horse Kohler. 

Cool running, positive, 6 speed gearbox.

Good on fuel. 

Uncomplicated electrics. 

Comes with ags tyres for the banks and slopes. 

This is just my opinion but I would avoid the onan and the hydro, but be sure to pick a :wh: (we can't have you calling yourself horseless). 

Welcome to RS.  :text-welcomeconfetti:

As an extra point, if you suffer heavy snowfalls you might need more hp for your blower, depends on how long you want the job to take. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by farmer
  • Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      I would go for what's behind door # 3!

#3. WH 10 auto (w/12hp Koehler)  Front blade,42" deck very clean

Very capable snow pusher that will be able to do other chores with ease. implements are interchangeable on the two :wh:

WH B-165 42" deck clean $750 for both. 

The 42" deck is better than a 60" when you are mowing on slopes and around trees, less scalping. Having a bit more power is great when mowing up hill on those steep slopes (never mow across them, engine will be starved for oil)  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

fast88pu

Buy them all

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Get all them red ones.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

68143.gif.571fba43966cd48a32c0272ad0d2afe7.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.9a2a228644ae0fa0eaceae43abc2a138.png

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher

Horseless    :WRS:      Pretty much what every one else said I would go with a big deck larger displacement engine to do more work for you. With a large deck you do not have to spend YOUR FREE time keeping up with the grass. Also with the larger engine and frame may be some day you can get a front  loader for it. Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Sparky

I would chose the 312....easy to work on, dependable as heck, easy on fuel and plenty of used and new parts available. With a 42" deck I would think you could mow your acre in approx 1 hour. 

Mike.....

• Like 5

Jerry77
4 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I would chose the 312

:text-yeahthat:    the most dependable    :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Welcome  to red square, it's the best place.    

:wh:           Glenn

• Like 1

elliot ness

Welcome to Red square.:text-welcomeconfetti: If it was my choice, the 520H hands down. All the power you will ever need, and you can get any attachment you could ever need for them. and parts are plentiful And by far the best steering wheel horse ever built.

• Like 2

bobert94

As with anything you can ask 10 people & get 10 different answers its like comparing chevys,fords & others.The 520's are great tractors  but they will cost you more to operate than the single cylinder kohlers and parts are more expensive for the onans than the kohlers.I love my hydros but if your going to do serious ground work a 8 speed might better serve your needs. your best bet is to have at least one of each!

• Like 3

Shynon
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I would chose the 312....easy to work on, dependable as heck, easy on fuel and plenty of used and new parts available. With a 42" deck I would think you could mow your acre in approx 1 hour. 

Mike.....

:text-yeahthat:

ericj

I love my onan's and the 520's, but the 60" is one heavy mama, it take 2 men and a boy to move. If your ground is unlevel and hilly it probably wouldn't be your best choice, the 312 has 2 of the implements that you seek in one package. depending on the year and model of 520 you will need a extension kit to put a plow on it. package number 3 has some merit but, the B-165 is a vertical shaft lawn mower and don't have a heavy duty rear end. Aluminum verses cast iron in the other garden tractors. I would run it up and down hills and get it warm before pulling the trigger on it. it mat run good on level ground but not up and down hills. if you want to purchase a snow blower the 520 is the way to go for sure hands down. so I know how hard money can be to come by but if you can afford more then one it wouldn't be a bad idea, why do you think the majority of us on here have more then one ourselves  :ROTF:

eric j   

• Like 3

Sarge

There is one serious difference you need to know about the engines used in these machines - some are pressure fed oil systems and some are not . If you are dealing with hills and ever mow or whatever across a slope - that can be a big issue in a hurry with a splash lube engine . All the Kohler single cylinder engines are fantastic and last an amazingly long time , but they are factory rated for only 25* of side hill and it's easy to exceed that . Mowing ditches is what kills most of them as it's a huge pain to mow 90* to the slope in so many short passes . Running along a ditch isn't beyond what the tractor itself can handle , but you'll start the connecting rod of oil due to the splash system and I've seen far too many Kohlers with broken rods as a result , sometimes destroying the block in the process with a large hole in it .

If the engine has an oil filter - it can handle higher side slope angles , period . The one oddball exception is the 18hp K482 Kohler - it has an oil pump but no filter on it .

The 20hp Onan is a great engine but it also has it's issues with cooling the rear cylinder - it's well documented here time and again . Also , that model has some fairly complicated wiring and they are known to develop issues over time - just some things to be aware of . Hydro transmission will give you a hydraulic lift as well - something to consider and all models used very heavy and well built hydrostatic transmissions that are extremely well built - but , their condition is dependent upon whether or not the previous owner ever changed the oil so a machine's history is something to consider . Rebuilding either a Sundstrand or Eaton is not a fun job and not for those that aren't highly mechanically capable . The manual transmissions are tough and reliable but you lose the variable speed as well as the hydraulic lifts for attachments - especially blade down pressure for snow plowing/dirt work . A two stage blower requires extra springs to help lift it if you have a manual trans , just for an example . All the attachments for these tractors are heavily built - so keep that in mind unless you want to build a Popeye left arm/shoulder .

When buying used - overall condition tells a tale of whether or not a previous owner took care of their investment . It's rare to find anything these days this old that hasn't been abused at some point . Parts are easy to source and for most models these things are quite easy to work on overall . The depth of repair work can range from a simple fluids change to having to rebuild the entire machine to address worn out parts . It's common to see front spindles badly worn to the point of needing replacement and some aren't made anymore , stuff like that . But , they are built simple enough that many parts can be reconditioned easily with a welder and some time . Just keep an eye out for things that are severely worn into a metal part - like the front axle and steering system . That said , there is almost nothing that can't be fixed yourself or by a competent welder/machine shop .

Good luck with the hunt , a bit of searching and just keeping your eyes peeled will reveal a lot more tractors out there that are hiding behind sheds/barns/garages...lol .

Sarge

• Like 4

Horseless

Wow. Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I would get them all if I had the$$ and space. I'm going to check them all out. And I'll be sure to let you know what I end up with.  I'm sure whatever I get I'll need the expertise of the fine folks on this forum. Thanks again. 

• Like 6

ClassicTractorProfessor

:WRS: good luck with whichever one you decide on...

onanparts.com

:WRS: +++ on the 520. :)

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I have 3 520H so there's my vote and have yet had any problems mowing slopes or the dreaded rear cylinder issues, some wiring but not so much it couldn't be overcome, overall Wheel Horse #1 brand garden tractor for me with a hydro drive and hydraulic lift, but for the manual shift/lift it's really hard to beat a shaft driven old school(pre '86) cast iron trans Cub Cadet, just my :twocents-02cents:, Jeff.

bmsgaffer

Keep a look out for a nice condition 518xi, 520xi or 522xi. They were the "next generation" wheel horses. They have tighter turning radius, weigh at least 400lbs more (heavy duty), have shaft driven hydro static drive with high/low and use more modern pressure lubed twin cylinder engines. They also have a low tunnel which makes it easier to get on and off.

The 522xi (and the more unique 520lxi with liquid cooling or 523dxi diesel) all have power steering too. Some love it some dont (feels a bit more disconnected, but much easier).

The bad: attachments are harder to find as these arent very prevelent on the used market yet, but they will be. Thats all the bad i have found with it. If you are patient and dont mind a little work, you can find most attachments for them without too much problem.

If I was picking just one to be a worker  (you arent fooling anyone, I give you 6 months till your second WH once you have owned one ;)) I would pick the 522xi or 520xi hands down.