Indianajohn

520 PTO lever and mule drive?

gwest_ca

For anyone that uses a 05-37SC01 37" deck with the 6-sided belt this is a good page to download and keep handy for belt replacement time.

Garry

Ed Kennell

Sorry, I was confused having never seen one of these decks and did not know they existed.  Thanks Eric and Garry for the information.  So the two idlers on the deck were fixed position and the mule drive provided the only tension on the single belt.  I think I finally got it.

Yes Garry, that picture would be a necessity to install the belt correctly.  It would be very easy to get the twist in the wrong direction.

gwest_ca

The 60" decks for the C-195 Auto went from a 4-sided belt with flat idler to a 6-sided with v-idler. Just the opposite to the 37" that went from 6-sided to 4-sided.

Garry

Ed Kennell

Interesting Garry.  Sounds like this change was made for a more durable belt on the 60".      Maybe that is the same reason they were used on the 37" single belt system.  I can see how you would need a stronger belt with less stretch for the longer belt without a spring loaded tensioner.

ericj

was the difference in belt a year thing or possible the bagger set up that didn't use the power flow set up ?

eric j

gwest_ca

The 60" deck for the C-195 Auto was only used 1982-1984 and the service bulletin was issued in May of 1988 so probably the change in belt/idler design was merely an improvement.

Garry

Indianajohn

Wanted to thank everyone for their responses. This thread kinda took on a life of its own! Amazing how much Wheel Horse knowledge is collected here.

Thanks to your help, I have a spring on the way for the PTO rod. I took off the lower dash panel, as that seems to be the easiest way to get in there. Still doesn't look like an easy job, but I'm sure I'll figure out a way.

Still don't have a mule drive yet, but hopefully soon. And I still don't understand why they only got a 42" deck for this big tractor. The only thing I can think of is that they planned to use it more for plowing snow than for mowing, so they bought the smallest (cheapest) deck they could get. Judging from the condition of the deck, it's obvious it wasn't used a lot. Conversely, the snow blade looks to have been used extensively. Kinda funny tho that they bought tire chains for it, but no wheel weights.

Tankman
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, squonk said:

Good Topic! Who would have thought about the mules being different? I have 3 of my own, burnt up a brg. on one a few years ago and whipped out a spare. Fixed it and now and have 2 back up decks, 3 mules and tractors. I have no excuse not to cut the grass! :)

My grass is always groomed, mowed more than needed.

Grandsons want to ride drive Horses! They want food too!

Mow or go hungry!   :ROTF:

• Like 2

MalMac

Another thing to add to this topic is, some of the older mule drives had heavy cast iron pulleys with replaceable bearings, and not the cheap formed steel spot welded pulleys the new one have. To me the old cast ones I have are smoother and quieter. 

• Like 3