Indianajohn

520 PTO lever and mule drive?

Indianajohn

Gentleman ( and ladies, if we have any here), got a couple of semi related questions. What is supposed to keep the PTO lever in the off position on a 520H? Is there supposed to be some kind of spring loading on this thing? On mine, somebody had a bungee cord wrapped around the lever where it goes into the side of the dash to hold it in place. I know that ain't right! But without the cord it just flops back and forth (mostly forth, which makes it a pain to start). Not seeing anything on the parts diagram.

Next question. I finally got the mower deck for this thing. It's in great shape, apparently used very little and stored indoors, but it's only a 42" rear discharge. Why they had such a small deck for such a big tractor I'll never know. Anyway, we weren't able to find the mule drive but they are going to keep looking. But I may need to find one on my own. Been looking on fleabay, but not sure what I need. I see lots of Wheel Horse mule drives for different model tractors and they all look the same to me. Do I have to have one off another 520? Or will any of these mule drives that fits the Quick Attach hitch work?  Do most Wheel Horse tractors use the same drive?

Thanks!

• Like 1

benji756

The mule drive for the 60 in deck is different from the others, not sure but I think the pulleys are more in line on those and angled on the others.I have a mule drive that came with my 520H and one that came with my c-81 and they look the same to me.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

There is an L bracket below the right side of the battery. The spring 38 hooks into a hole in the corner of it. The other end hooks to the eye of a cotter pin 6 in the rod.

Garry

PTO linkage spring SS.jpg

PTO linkage spring2 SS.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

IMG_7216.thumb.JPG.51a5862457385d19e3bd90a89718fc49.JPG

You can see the spring here hooked in the cotter pin in the PTO control rod.

The mule drives are  the same for all tractors and decks,   except for the spring loaded one used on the 60" deck.

IMG_7107.thumb.JPG.01214873f3280b8bc7c827f173ea355f.JPG

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Perhaps it does not hook to the L bracket on all models.

Ed's photo looks like it is hooked lower than the bracket.

Garry

ericj

make sure there is enough pressure on the clutch, ie the trunion adjustment. part 10 on rod 37. good luck

eric j

Lee1977

There is also a notch in the tower right below the one in the L-bracket on my 312 the spring is also missing.  The lever leans back far enough that it hasn't been a problem. It's the cam action built in to the lever that holds pressure on the PTO not the spring.

I went back and read your post again, if it goes all the way forward the rod adjustment is too loose. It needs to be adjusted so that when the PTO is engaged that the cam action locks the lever in place.

Edited by Lee1977

Indianajohn

I did see that spring in the diagram, but it wasn't clear where it went or what it did. Ed's photo helps a lot. And Ed, that's quite the pile of mule drives there! I've seen lots of these on fleabay, but many times they don't give the model of what tractor they came off of, and they all look the same in the pictures so as a newbie to these tractors, it's a bit confusing to say the least. Don't want to spend money on something I can't use. Good to know that I won't have to be too picky looking for one. Thanks for the responses guys! 

Ed Kennell

Garry, my picture is of my 312 and the spring is hooked in a notch in the  lower plate.   It is loose with the PTO disengaged and under  tension when PTO is engaged.

It may be hooked differently on a 520.  My 520 is in winter storage, so I can't check the spring location.

Yeah John, I have quite a few mules, those in the pic are the ones  for sale that will be bringing to the Big Show In June.

I have only ever seen two styles,  the normal one and the special spring loaded one for the 60" deck.

• Like 1

squonk

Ed. Any of those mules named Francis? :)

Indianajohn

I see mule drives on fleabay from $25 and free shipping, up to $125. Don't understand why there's such a disparity in pricing, when they are all pretty much the same thing. I guess there are some real optimists out there, or they're smoking some really good sh*t!

• Like 1

ericj
1 hour ago, Indianajohn said:

I see mule drives on fleabay from $25 and free shipping, up to $125. Don't understand why there's such a disparity in pricing, when they are all pretty much the same thing. I guess there are some real optimists out there, or they're smoking some really good sh*t!

a little of both. when you buy one you have to make sure that the bearings in the pulleys are good and the shield is there, if any of these are bad or missing that could make for a lower price. and if the belt is included or not could make the difference also. a new belt from the dealer could cost around $ 30.00. good luck

eric j 

• Like 1

Indianajohn

Pullies, bearings, and belts I can get at cost since own a shop. In fact I could probably build a mule drive from scratch if I had to, but right now I just don't have the time. Spring is here and things are starting to get busy in the shop. I'm still hoping the PO will come up with the original mule drive, but I'm not counting on it.

Ed Kennell

Complete with good bearings , good paint , good knob and good decal.  $50-60.     Broken or no knob $20.       My three sense, scents, cents.

8 hours ago, squonk said:

Ed. Any of those mules named Francis? :)

Actually I do have one Mike....and his cousin  Mr Ed.

• Like 1

rlrnot

I don't believe all mule drives have the same pulley arrangement.  My 37" side discharge deck uses a double 'v' belt, consequently the mule has 2 'v' pulleys.  Decks that use a normal belt require a mule with 1 'v' pulley and 1 flat pulley I believe. Just my .02.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Good point @rirnot.   I have heard of these double Vee  belt arrangements, but have never seen one.

Maybe Garry can shed some light...were they specific to any particular model tractors?

bmsgaffer

The double vee is for 37" decks only and only certain years... it will be unlikely that you come across one of them. That and the 60" are the only odd ball mules i know of.

• Like 1

ericj
13 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good point @rirnot.   I have heard of these double Vee  belt arrangements, but have never seen one.

Maybe Garry can shed some light...were they specific to any particular model tractors?

Ed, the 6" front tires on the 300 series that ran the 37"' ran the double V pulleys, but not all ran the double V pulleys  I've seen them both ways. you have to look at the deck and see which pulleys it has on. All of the mule drives are the same except the 60" decks with the spring. All the rest where basicly the same except for the pulley configuration. My C195 uses the same mule drive but different spacers and only one pulley. So if he dosen't mind buying his own pulleys all he needs to do is buy a mule drive with 2 pulleys and it should have the right spacers for him to use.

eric j 

Ed Kennell

The 312 I have had the 6" wheels ( I have replaced them with 8") ,  but it came with a 42" deck and the regular mule and belt.

So Eric, how was the deck pulley different on the 37" double V belt deck?  The outside pulley on the mule is the only pulley that would ride on the outside or top half of the belt. 

The deck would still only be using the same side of the belt as the PTO.   I'm thinking maybe the guards may be different to clear the double thickness belt.. 

Hopefully someone has pictures.   

gwest_ca

Belt covers are the same

Garry

Mower Idler assembly 05-37SC01.jpg

Mower Idler assembly 05-37SC02.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

Good Topic! Who would have thought about the mules being different? I have 3 of my own, burnt up a brg. on one a few years ago and whipped out a spare. Fixed it and now and have 2 back up decks, 3 mules and tractors. I have no excuse not to cut the grass! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

ericj

The 312 I have had the 6" wheels ( I have replaced them with 8") ,  but it came with a 42" deck and the regular mule and belt.

So Eric, how was the deck pulley different on the 37" double V belt deck?

Ed, the 37" deck with the double V runs V idler pulleys instead of flat idlers. the belt is a double V, there is no flat side on the belt therefore you have to run all V' pulleys.

eric j

Ed Kennell

Ok,thanks Eric,  so the PTO drive belt and the deck blade drive were both double V belts.

I thought we were just referring to the PTO belt. So all the deck pulleys and both mule pulleys were Vees.

I wonder if the purpose was to increase belt life by flipping the belts  over or to minimize the pulley styles, or both. Whatever the purpose was, It must have failed as the design was rather short lived.

The HP loss may have also been a factor. as there is a greater frictional loss as the belt leaves a v idler versus a flat idler.Friction for V Belts

ericj

the 37" only used one belt from the pto down to deck and around the deck pulleys, not the usual 2 belts of the typical wheel horse decks

eric j

DennisThornton

Crap! I didn't think WH even made a 37" for their GTs!  For some time now if I'd see an ad that mentioned "37" deck" I just ignored the ad! 

Thanks guys! 

• Like 1