Sign in to follow this  
fritz

your favorite model

fritz

well im back with a qustion that mite be hard to answer. but i was wondering what is you alls favorite model and why?? can it do stuff better than other models or do you just like it better?? mine is the 1054. i like the round head lights and the kinda round sqaured hood. thank you all. hope to see some intersting answers so i know what would be good for my uses.

thank you

devin

HarleyMan46929

My favorite model of Wheel Horse is the D-180, which was made back in the 1973 to the early 1980's era. It is a bigger tractor than the "b", "c", and others. I like it because I'm a fairly large guy, and I don't fit on small machines easily. Being a D-180, it has a 18hp Kohler horizontally-opposed twin-cylinder engine, Hydrostatic trans, and hydraulics to handle the lifting chores: 48" single-stage snowblower, 54" 3-position front blade, and a mower that fits under the middle. I've added the 3pt hitch, and red-necked a 60" mower from a C-195 Wheel Horse to fit underneath. It has plenty of power to handle the 5' mower. I'll also be adding the rear PTO drive-shaft system I bought from Refracman back in December, and am going hunting for the 60" rear mount mower when money and weather allow....mostly the money!!!

Everyone on here has their favorites, and I'm sure all the different models have their pros and cons, but the biggest "pros" for me are the size and the power of the D-series tractors.

BRONCO14

its a hard choice for me between my 62 702 or 68 ranger, i like my ranger cause of the toy size of it, its just fun, the 702 with the 3 point hitch gives me alot of options and the chores it can handle- so for me i think its gotta be the 702,

well until i go horse hunting again and see what else i can find

TJ

My favorite tractor is my 654 because it is almost done, and then I can start on my next favorite tractor.......?

Docwheelhorse

Easy One.... out of my "Fleet" I would pick my 1968 Commando 8, It was my first one @ 13 and it was love at first sight. Its also my avatar

Tony

Michcruiser60

I would really like to do a short frame big block tractor next. I have always like the look of those.

Teddy da Bear

I believe my favorite would be a GT-14.

It is a massive beast.....at almost 1000lbs.

I have two... one with a newer 16hp magnum kohler

and one with an ark loader. I have been having some

minor problems with them. The latest was that the p.o.

swiped the cotter pins out of the pins holding the

hydraulic arms of the loader to the loader frame. I was

lucky to have seen this before one came out under load

and speared a thigh! :thumbs:

But one that is fast becoming a favorite....is my C-195.

Geeez it is reliable. Starts instantly with almost no choke.

Even on the coldest days it starts easily.

I have a B-145 electric horse....I will get it running (I hope)

and see if it becomes a favorite or not.

Duff

I seem to have landed on the 300-series tractors, at least for now. They're fairly simple, rugged, durable and parts seem to be readily available both new and used. I've set 1989 as a personal "cut off" date as I prefer not to get into the Toro-branded products. Just a personal quirk. :whistle:

That said, as I develop my skills and knowledge mechanically I can see a "round hood" somewhere in my future. They are very cool looking machines and speak to a sadly bygone era. :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

Sarge

So far, really enjoying my 1277's - rugged and very reliable , not to mention stout . Parts have been somewhat a pain , but I'm getting there ....

1232671801.jpg

Otherwise, love the early 60's round hoods .

Sarge

kpinnc

My favorite wheel horses are any of them that have 4 wheels (or provisions FOR them), red paint in any condition, and a Kohler engine. Briggs and Onans are acceptable, just NO TECCYS!

If I do get one with a Tecumseh on it, it usually gets a transplant.

And I PREFER garden tractors. No vertical shaft machines in my barn. Nothing against verts, I just prefer the horizontal engines.

I'm just not very picky.... :thumbs:

Kevin

oldandred

thats easy

Michael Bullington

This is hard because I love all of them!!!

round hood mid engine: 551 :D

round hood front engine 701 and 654 (The 604,654, 704 are best looking round hoods, but the 701 for power). <_<

square hoods - all the raider series with the eight speeds :omg:

All the C series (not black hoods) :omg:

And all the 300 series! even with toro on the side :D

and one big guy out of the group has to be the GT14 :whistle:

Sorry i cant pick just one :thumbs::whistle:

kpinnc send me all you tecumsehs when you do the transplant! I agree there not the strongest workers but they still make great tractor show tractors!! (My 654 purrs as smooth as any kohler, and starts everytime!) :lol::dunno:

:horseplay:

nylyon

No secret here, 1974 C-160 automatic..... Then a 1994 416 Hydro (close second)

I perfer the hydros, I'm just lazy I suppose :thumbs:

Brrly1

Well, I can not tell a lie, Undoubtly the GT14 is #1 for me as if you guys didn't know that. See ya Burly :thumbs: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

poodle

well I have to say its my 701 not because its a rare model or it is better at any particular task.It is my first tractor and the start of a cool hobby pluse I just can get enough of how cool it looks!!!! :whistle: I also have a 1056 that I modified in a few slight ways it is used in local pulls and I love how much work he plow has saved me his winter :thumbs:

stevasaurus

some people call me the 5th beatle...I am for sure a stevasaurus...out of the 60's.

I am really just getting ino this, but being out of the 60's, I am leaning toward the round-hoods

2008_0126whtractorsjan090009.jpg

:thumbs::whistle:

the older the better :banana: :banana:

Electro12WH

Pretty much anything w/ a square hood and a Kohler engine.

MaineDad

I would say the C-160 auto and 8 speed. The K341 and the rugged classic style of the C series go well together.

qd-16

I like the mid 60's square hoods. Though I haven't come across one yet, I especially like the 1055, 1056, 1057 models,

I saw a 1056 this last summer in an auction go for WAY too much money for the shape it was in. Oh well keep on looking!

Nick

Any model is my favorite while I own them. :whistle: But its hard to beat a round hood for just a nice classic looking tractor.

Hey AL I was up to Shelby last summer and would have did some poaching at an auction but a heavy rain hit so I went back to Glens surplus. Only came home with some trailer tires. The auction was just North of town, this was the tractor. :thumbs:

auction3.jpg

qd-16

Nick, thats the sale I was at!!! I went up to $180 on that 1056. I think it went for around $300..stood thru all that rain,, oh well :thumbs: .. Maybe I talked to you?

Nick

AL, Those headlights would have been worth a bit of that price. Thought it might be the same sale you went to. If ya noticed a loud diesel flatbed that was painted like an ambulance, that was us. :whistle: At least I didnt stay and run you up. :thumbs:

Dafixer

I guess my little 211-4 is great for just mowing since it has the gear shift on the column and with a 36 inch rd deck its a breeze in the tight spots. My 07 classic has just 70 hours on it with no probs yet, very strong when working the tiller or blade for a 15 horse, and my buddys cub cant seem to pull it when we hook em up :thumbs: .

hodge

I would have said my 520-H, but I have to admit, I have gotten very attached to the 310-8. I prefer the gear drives. So, if my back was in a corner, I would have to say the GT 1600- gear drive, plenty of power, no frills.

pond195520032003

my favorites are my 1075 as i got it for free about 10 or 11 years ago :thumbs: my 855, was my dads :whistle: and oviously my 74 D-200 :whistle: