Big John

restoration D160 mower deck

Big John

Last weekend I went to Texas and purchased this mower deck. Now I'm have disassembled it.I'm taking over to my friend's shop to have it blasted. I'll be making repairs where all the cracks are. I purchased  this from Todd.This man has nice collection of horses.

Edited by Big John
more pictures
  • Like 1

Lee1977

If your deck has cracks on the back side around the lift brackets and the brackets for attaching the wheels and height adjuster. Make sure that all the reinforcement plates are in place under the deck.  The ones under the rear lift brackets were missing on my deck from the factory. I added those I made out of 1/8" plate.  After welding the cracks and adding the plates. I also added a 3"x2" x 3/16" angle to the top under the rear lift brackets. This cured the cracks.

I wanted to use a 1/8" plate but the angle was all I had at the time that would work. The only thing wrong with the angle is it catches grass and dirt I have to blow out before putting it in the garage. I also added a 3/8" rod to the front edge of the deck like the new deck have as I had bent the deck on tree roots several times. This require using a 14" pipe wrench to pull it back in shape and away from the blade.

It's been upgraded to metric spindles, and the deck rollers are dogwood with brass bushings. I was busting the newer plastic rollers one or two a year. The front dogwood rollers have have been on there since the early 90's and rear one a few years later. I replaced the roller bushing and the shafts on the front around 4 years ago.

i IMGP1676.jpg

Edited by Lee1977

Texas Todd
On 4/1/2017 at 2:05 PM, Big John said:

Last weekend I went to Texas and purchased this mower deck. Now I'm have disassembled it.I'm taking over to my friend's shop to have it blasted. I'll be making repairs where all the cracks are. I purchased  this from Todd.This man has nice collection of horses.

Nice meeting you John! I wish I wouldn't have had to rush away. Glad you made it back home safely!

Big John

thanks lee,I bought a punch press die and square punch.This what I'll use on my plates to reinforce the back side.I'll fiquire out make how toget multable pictures on this to stay.That deck looks nice.Big john