howell1000

need help

howell1000

Took starter apart wiped off lubed put back together put back on made sure everything was tight and it worked I am stumped maybe dirt I dont know I am not getting gas to engine has gas in it  does this model have a fuel pump

pfrederi

Remove the gas line to the carb and crank the engine does gas spurt out?  If not we work backwards if it does problem is in the carb we work forward.

• Like 2

howell1000

Ok thanks I will try it

howell1000

Ok took line of of carb cranked no gas  so took line of bottom of tank has gas all they way to were line goes in a small square box can blow air all the way through line to gas tank so what is the little square box?? on other side of box line goes to carb no gas in that line??

953 nut
3 minutes ago, howell1000 said:

what is the little square box

That is a vacuum operated fuel pump. There should be three hoses going to it; one to the fuel tank, one to the Carb. and one to the engine which will be the vacuum line. All three need to be in good condition.

howell1000

Went out and looked there is  only two hoses one on left side one on right going into carb no other place on it for third hose I took the two loose and blew through one side pretty hard to get air to go through

pfrederi

If your engine is Spec #71311 then you have a mechanical fuel pump (little square box) and it sounds like it has gone bad.  is it Plastic or metal.  Metal you can rebuild plastic you replace.

953 nut

:text-imsorry:          Have no idea what motor you are working with, based on description I figured it was one of these.

Image result for vacuum fuel pump

howell1000

Different from pic just square brass fittings were hose hooks to pretty sure its metal  there is a plate on bottom two screws  if i can rebuild were can I get rebuild kit???  

953 nut

You can buy rebuild kits for the fuel pump, but a low pressure electric fuel pump can be nhad for a lot less and work better, mount it lower than the tank. Yours probably looks like these.

58e03d48b1b26_kohlerfuelpumps001.thumb.JPG.c234190fd1ad805ba7a098ddde962b26.JPG

howell1000

Yep like that you know any place on web that sales them or you think ebay would  what make them go bad just being old??

Edited by howell1000

953 nut

There are two check valves in the top plate, where the hoses connect. they will start leaking by and you don't have a prime when you try to start it, electric is the way to go. Then and mow auto on the internet sells rebuild kits or you can get a new one at NAPA if you want.

howell1000

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me THANKS GUYS .       

• Like 1

WH nut

DID you get the starter to spin the motor over?

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, WH nut said:

DID you get the starter to spin the motor over?

Yes he did.  See post #26.   :)      Now he is working on the fuel pump problem.

• Like 1