Ed Kennell

Any stone carvers out there?

Ed Kennell

I had this piece of slate that I picked up about 3 years ago at the quarry on our camp in Potter Co.    I had good intensions of making a Pa shaped stone sign.

Well, today was a cold rainy day and both my WH projects in my heated shop were finished, so out came the slate.

This was my first attempt at stone cutting and carving  so I proceeded with caution and drilled a lot of holes with the masonry bit at the critical locations.

Now you geography purists will probably notice ...Philadelphia is missing. 

I wanted to use as much of the stone as possible, and  after stepping a map down to scale to fit the stone, I had to sacrifice a corner.   Sorry Philly Fans, but you had to go.

I still need to grind the edges, but that is too dust to do inside. 

Then I could use some advice on the lettering.   I could drill a series of dimples,  or use the router, but an not sure if a carbide bit would cut the slate or if the dust would kill the router motor.  ???? 

IMG_7288.thumb.JPG.b6fb656276372bbda30f046d37595bb7.JPGIMG_7285.thumb.JPG.b056fd1b1854ba1d58c151fb5a43ddea.JPGIMG_7286.thumb.JPG.894c6c1a68dbf830ec884ffe17eefdf0.JPGIMG_7289.thumb.JPG.771db1a2e8f983a7941d395a95d11381.JPG

• Like 9

Wishin4a416

Looks good Ed! That is a thick piece of slate. Im used to the thin ones for roofing. Good Luck.

• Like 1

roadapples

Nice job Ed, Lettering could be giving a crack a place to start..

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:             I don't think I would use a router for then lettering, too much dust and the high speed would probably burn up the bit. You could use the router to make a template and use carbide tipped drill bits with water and run them through the template. This is not something I have done, but if I were doing it I think this is what I would try (use a scrap piece first of course).

Good luck, hope this helps.

http://www.harborfreight.com/carbide-tip-glass-and-tile-cutting-drill-bit-set-6-pc-61617.html

• Like 1

WHX??

Sorry can't help you with this project frEd, only thing I know about stone carving is the nice marks on the Missus sidewalk with the chains this last winter! I do have this friend Barney I'll send over who might know a thing or 2 tho 🐊 :ychain:

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed KennellEd how about a rotary tool with some diamond tipped cutters.  You are showing off your skills. If it were me and with my skill set I would use a magic marker.

• Like 4

953 nut

Another thought, if you covered it with a layer of silicone and carved the words out of it you could sand blast etch the words.     :twocents-02cents:

3 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

use a magic marker.

Just saw Jim's post, like that too!   :ychain:

• Like 2

WHX??

Ok Ed ... Richard's on to something here....the guy I take all my tractor parts to for sandblasting is a headstones guy and the work he does on them is amazing.  Don't have a clue how he does it but I know sandblasting is involved?  You guys wanna all chip in for my get a  HF sandblaster fund.......:lol:

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Thanks you guys,  for all the advice.

Cracking  and just flaking on the surface does have me concerned Jay.   My idea was to cut a shallow 1/16 " deep groove for the letters and then paint the groove with black enamel.

The slate is really soft and drills very easy with a standard masonry bit, so I don't think I need a diamond glass or tile  cutting bit. 

There is some flaking on the back side when the bit breaks thru.    Based on the drilling I have done, I believe I could safely drill a series of equally spaced holes on the drill press with the masonry bit, but that would take quite a bit of time to drill and to paint each hole.

I actually have a letter template guide set for my router Richard and I do have some carbide bits that I don't mind sacrificing for a learning experience.    I would prefer to use script instead of the block letters though.  This means, if the router bit works, I would have to follow a line drawn on the stone....not sure I can keep the dust sucked away well enough to see the line.

You and Jim have me interested in the sandblasting.  What was the silicon coating you were referencing Richard?   I am thinking a coating of liquid silastic rubber (RTV) or bed liner.  I am not sure If it would peel off after the carving and sand blast etching.   Just had a thought , I have used rubber electrical insulating tape that could be carved and would peel off.

I need to do some more research and experimenting.

And Jim, If all else fails, send Barney over with Jim Ws magic marker.

Keep the ideas coming.....we are learning.   :text-bravo:

• Like 1

squonk

Ed I would avoid Philly too! :) Now if you ever visit there, wear a hard hat because they will throw batteries at you. And if they think you're Santa, well this is a family forum and I can't get into the details. :violence-blades:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
33 minutes ago, squonk said:

Ed I would avoid Philly too! :) Now if you ever visit there, wear a hard hat because they will throw batteries at you. And if they think you're Santa, well this is a family forum and I can't get into the details. :violence-blades:

OK Philly, Sixer and Eagle fans,  please send your comments directly to  Mike via PM @squonk or by snail mail to Waterloo, NY.    I am sure the Waterloo mailman will know him.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Related image

20150254d9088667c5c.jpg.b18a223c02cb7b9e12368270d17bb0ee.jpg

squonk
6 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Related image

20150254d9088667c5c.jpg.b18a223c02cb7b9e12368270d17bb0ee.jpg

I understand your outfit Craig, but how did you get the green tongue? :confusion-confused:

AMC RULES

It's a side effect from my visit to Waterloo, NY.  

Related image

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I knew this would get ugly......I should have flipped the slate over and left Erie off the map. :think:

• Like 3

953 nut
28 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I knew this would get ugly......I should have flipped the slate over and left Erie off the map. :think:

Now you are going to offend @daveoman1966!   :ychain:

Ed Kennell

I know Richard,   But I don't think  Dave would get violent like the fans in Philly.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

Growing up my friends dad made granite headstones. He covered the polished stone with a rubber sheeting like gasket material. Maybe 1/16 or 3/32 thick. I'm not sure what king of glue he used then he would lay his design drawn on paper on it and hand cut it out with a razor knife. He made intricate do designs by blasting area the covering part of the blasted area with rubber sheet and blasting the remaining uncovered area deeper.  I remember a strong solvent smell when he cleaned the rubber/glue off, probable lacquer or acetone thinner. For blast/carving the hard granite he blasted with steel shot that was recycled. With slate being much softer I would think any regular grit would work. I'm thinking you could take a scrap. Give it a couple of coats of floor wax the use sheet rubber or paint on several coats of that plasticote tool dip stuff

keep us informed, good luck

• Like 2

squonk
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I don't think you'd want this dude showing up at your door in the middle of the night! animated-smileys-sport-030.gif.31a3165e5af4ed38b86d3308b8fb36ac.gif

images.jpg.6a21fdbd99f76049028955ced191f0d4.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I remember a few years ago, we had a member that was into stone carving.  He would put up pictures of his projects.  It was impressive.  I tried searching, but I am coming up empty.  Might have been before the big upgrade. Toolman sounds right, but I am not sure.  :)

• Like 1

oldredrider

Dino, did you happen to use "stone age" or "cave drawings" in your search? :ROTF:

• Like 4

953 nut
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Toolman sounds right, but I am not sure.

Might have been Fred!    :ychain:

Image result for flintstones

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Guys name was "stoneman"...from Ohio.  He was really into doing this.  :)

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I've been looking at You Tube videos of several techniques and the engraving pen looks like something I could handle.  I need to start experimenting.  This may go back on the rear burner for a while though.   Spring has sprung and the calendar is filling up fast with baseball and volleyball games,  music concerts, robot matches, trout fishing,  turkey  hunting, grass mowing, crab camp opening,  Steam-o-Rama, and then there is "the BIG SHOW".

Whew, am I glad I don't have to work.  :ychain:

• Like 4