HamptonT

Clevis Hitch

HamptonT

What are some advantages/uses for a clevis sleeve hitch?

can you still attach a pull behind trailer to it? With the two plates and pin?

Ed Kennell

Sure, I just made an adapter that hooks on the top of the pipe for the pin.

58de7cd9eefc0_IMG_2647(640x480).jpg.8d88a05f517aa2c2b446cf7aa407fbbe.jpgIMG_4145.thumb.JPG.4691b7e73be6f17430154d5d1e84cda4.JPG

• Like 2

obone

A lot of equipment uses the clevis hitch. You still can have your other hitch hooked up. The clevis uses a chain to raise it so it can be lifted out of the way to hook a cart up to the other hitch.

WVHillbilly520H

You can also make a trailer ball mount that can be used either that way or for pin hitch trailers/sweepers, also FYI on the xi series you can lock out the mower lift lift arms with lynch pins and technically keep the deck on in the up position an use the Clevis hitch independently for whatever reason you need too(like rear scrape blade or york/rock rake for driveway repairs after a thunderstorm without removing the deck), plus I drilled extra position holes in the 1 on my 520H for extra lift height, Jeff.

withattachment.jpg

IMAG3019.jpg

IMAG3006.jpg

IMAG2566.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

• Like 2

Tankman
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, obone said:

A lot of equipment uses the clevis hitch. You still can have your other hitch hooked up. The clevis uses a chain to raise it so it can be lifted out of the way to hook a cart up to the other hitch.

I usually kept the drawbar hitch on and as noted, the clevis hitch could be raised when not in use.

Install both drawbar and clevis hitches. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Keep the mounting rod greased. I have had difficulties removing a few. Think, "Never-Seez!"

A half pint of Never-Seez and an acid brush seemingly last forever!

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

ericj

I try not to use my tractors with the clevis hitch. the reason is if you are pulling a trailer with your regular trailer hitch and you forget and lower your clevis or your mower deck witch lowers your clevis , when you turn it can catch the trailer tongue. If that happens something has to give, either your trailer slides or you bend the clevis hitch. I learned this at an early age when operating dad's 73 12 AUTO back in the day. it twisted the clevis hitch pretty bad. Dad had to buy a new one  :hide:

eric j 

• Like 1

Tankman

T-Mo posted drawings of the clevis hitch.

Been a long time since I used AutoCAD but, why not? Inspired by T-Mo. :handgestures-thumbupright:

**Note** The 1/2" x 1-1/2" steel flat bar can be longer to avoid possible clevis hitch interference.

DRAWBA--ART.jpg

DRAWBA--ART.pdf

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, ericj said:

I try not to use my tractors with the clevis hitch. the reason is if you are pulling a trailer with your regular trailer hitch and you forget and lower your clevis or your mower deck witch lowers your clevis , when you turn it can catch the trailer tongue. If that happens something has to give, either your trailer slides or you bend the clevis hitch. I learned this at an early age when operating dad's 73 12 AUTO back in the day. it twisted the clevis hitch pretty bad. Dad had to buy a new one  :hide:

eric j 

Good point Eric,  another problem with the adjustable height  hitches ( clevis and slot) is they afford no down pressure.

If you are towing a heavy balanced  load on a two wheeled cart, the hitch can raise if the load is pushing the trailer on a down slope.  It also happens when backing a load of firewood into a garage,  unexpectedly dumping the load at the wrong location.    I didn't take a picture of this one, but it did happen.   :no::angry-screaming:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, ericj said:

eric j 

When I first got my sweeper I still had my clevis hitch attached and even in the fully raised position the top "L" bracket on the sweeper's pin hitch would catch on my clevis hitch so to avoid this I made an extension(approx 3-4" beyond the Clevis) I bolted to the standard trailer pin hitch when mowing/sweeping/yard cart and even in down position the clevis hitch just rode/layed on the extended pin hitch, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2