HorseFixer

ARK 500 LOADER REBUILD ON A 522XI

peter lena

@Pullstart  looks good to me , the welding detail finish , is spot on , done any front wheel hub/ bearing , detailing ? glairing thing to me is the over strength of that plow frame to the original , tractor base , wheels should be re greased  and shimmed for a zero side to side , shucking play , that quickly wallows out rims , and related spindles . hi temp / stress grease . maybe a magnetic heater on that pump , oil supply ? pre heated oil is nice . good work . Pete

Pullstart

Long time again, very little progress.  I welded some nuts on the loader frame to bolt the hose guards down.  The center/left side guard has locators left and right, so only one bolt should be needed.

5E3F740B-B0ED-46F9-B911-39902AC04294.jpeg

38293FD9-DA5B-4F72-B695-36820CCB7F6C.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

I looked at the to-do list for the FEL today and thought maybe I’d try to knock something out.  This is the filter mount, turned guard.  1/4” plate, tough, heavy, simple.  

Overkill?  Nope!

1B512BC0-E5CF-4275-BC39-96D2219CFB18.jpeg

B177A45C-1BEF-4ACB-90B4-B53E06B38D0E.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

Kev pretty industrial hose guards! :handgestures-thumbup:

I do have a question on the front tire loading. What is the thinking behind filling them? 

Plenty of front end weight with the loader. 

Just wondering.

wallfish
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

I do have a question on the front tire loading. What is the thinking behind filling them? 

Just wondering.

That backhoe tractor had added weight to the front tires because the hoe was so heavy of a counter weight.

Adding weight to the front could help with digging or scraping with the bucket. He's got power steering so turning it isn't a problem. Just my $0.02

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

That backhoe tractor had added weight to the front tires because the hoe was so heavy of a counter weight.

Adding weight to the front could help with digging or scraping with the bucket. He's got power steering so turning it isn't a problem. Just my $0.02

This one is still standard steering, but Xi series have a gear reduction of sorts compared to standard Horses.  

2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Just wondering.

Kind of why not type reasoning.  Being unsprung weight I can’t see it creating a counterbalance to the counterbalance.  Mainly though, I just wanted to see if I could load some tires WITHOUT tubes.  Being new tires and clean wheels, these were the winners.

• Like 1

JoeM
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Kind of why not type reasoning.

I was kind of curious, just trying to learn something. 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I hope to get things at least prepped for paint soon!  I’m very close to completion!

• Like 4

Pullstart

I got the cylinders torn apart last night and a body hole drilled for the fitting orientations on each long one.

It might be getting fairly warm here in the next week or two.  It sure would be cool to see some paint on this project for a final assembly!

E0513558-257E-4CF1-A335-A7D86BD88A0D.jpeg

0585DA97-F00E-4F0E-AFCA-92E7F63E844F.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Wind… err… sea? chimes are cooking!

• Excellent 1

JoeM
20 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Wind… err… sea? chimes are cooking!

I have not had much luck with paint removal in an E tank. On rust and light paint it works great. 

Any paint removal tips for the tank?

Pullstart
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

I have not had much luck with paint removal in an E tank. On rust and light paint it works great. 

Any paint removal tips for the tank?

I have found more washing soda brings up the effectiveness of the current, and running 24V vs 12V seems to have exponential advantages.

• Like 1

Pullstart

@JoeM of course it helps if SOME bare metal is exposed, the electricity needs a place to start.

• Like 1

JoeM
20 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

running 24V vs 12V seems to have exponential advantages

I did not try 24v but I did use a battery in conjunction with the charger and there was improvement.

I also found have the piece as vertical as possible helps too. 

And I started out with warm water to help dissolve the soda wash.

I used old leaf springs around the perimeter of a tote.

I will say there was at least 4 coats of paint in place two of were automotive type. Was a slow process and ended up with stripper. I should have stripped them and then threw them in for a final clean but did not think of that till now. 

• Like 1