HorseFixer

ARK 500 LOADER REBUILD ON A 522XI

HorseFixer

Looks like the Weather is not going to Cooperate the next couple days most especially for running electrical wiring underground plus working on electricity, So I guess I will be back on fabrication tomorrow. We had two storms that missed us  but there is one brewing out west heading straight for us!  :mellow:

WEATHER.png.9a1b292f7f3904f268b11fbb1d288eb3.png

59041b3112fd2_WEATHER2.png.17a5a6cad9a97006fd07915d25ca2d40.png

woodchuckfarmer

Looking good Duke.     Wayne

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Duke, I had 3/8" grab hooks welded to my bucket before they delivered it, on eBay they go for $9/pr and on my Kioti it came with a 4" D ring welded in the center it does OK but I prefer the outward grab hooks all 3 would be better, Jeff.

IMAG3105.jpg

IMAG2609.jpg

• Like 4

HorseFixer

Jeff I Like your thinking.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  And I think I came up with a very Similar Solution but even better. I can't let the Cat outta the bag just yet but maybe late tomorrow I will have it all together :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

Duke,

Its so cool to see the parts you had cut from the CAD file I provided.  I hope that you are able to make good use of them.  What am I saying...With that arsenal of tools in your shop (very envious!!!), you'll get it together.  Looking at what you're working with, I sometimes wonder how I got my build done...A borrowed 220V MIG welder set up for flux core because I didn't want to lug the bottle back to my place from my dads shop, a grinder and a lot of careful measuring for cuts done by a third party.  Those welds on your bucket look primo.  I wouldn't want to put mine into service if my work looked like that!  I'd be afraid I mess it up!

-Andy

• Like 4

HorseFixer

Andy Yes I appreciate that Cad File thank you again. :bow-blue:  I thought I would work on the BIG STUFF first that being the bucket before I get into the frame and so forth. Well today I was cut short 1/2 the day because the Power went off in my City due to someone hitting a Transformer or something. Anyways a weak point on many of these buckets are the top edge is Flimsy. As we talked about putting some hooks and stuff for lifting things I Integrated that into my design I didn't want the stiffners to be on the outside so I put them to the TOP Inside. I used a 1/2 X 3 piece if flat stock with a 1/2" X 1" pice and made my own Angle Iron so to speak. I cut 2 more pads of 1/2" X 4" material X 3 and used them where the Hooks and Rings will be. I welded it all together and hit the Drill Press and drilled 3 3/4" Holes for the Clevis Pins. Now of I want the Hooks on the outside no problem. If I want Rings on the outside and a Hook in the Center No Problemo. If I want to flip the hooks over I can do that too. I might to be able to make other attachments for it later.  :think:   So what do ya think will that get the Job Done?

DSCN0039.thumb.JPG.05c472fde7235dc324871785083f9c84.JPGDSCN0038.thumb.JPG.b0409a96d80c5c6cf7ff0f62f77c5051.JPGDSCN0042.thumb.JPG.900dc9c60774f8ef4a73fa7d98bc5d87.JPGDSCN0043.thumb.JPG.0c701cb8481c5fd838f60b7c9a15098b.JPGDSCN0044.thumb.JPG.a4bfc8266c962d5c97c91036937ca96f.JPGDSCN0045.thumb.JPG.b36398246cdc8aa12f3d96653571669f.JPGDSCN0046.thumb.JPG.4cc051375df566a72316fd5f3a483b51.JPGDSCN0047.thumb.JPG.59bf0c7a79ecf9aad2a2b8a2b39cd283.JPGDSCN0048.thumb.JPG.526aa3c4545b4c0481a5c1912f564b9a.JPGDSCN0049.thumb.JPG.7e0bd747c4db772e11a9805f4e68de2b.JPG

• Like 7

farmer

Nicely done and strong around your lifting points,  :thumbs:   by the way, is it just coincidence that all the power goes out in your city around the same time you installing solar arrays and laying cables. :scared-shocked: :teasing-poke: :scared-shocked: :P  

You may be interested in one further addition I added to my bucket that I recommend you think on, I'll include it tonight. :techie-eureka:

• Like 3

MalMac

Duke, are you going to put a "gusset" on the bottom of the bucket to where it joins the back wall of the bucket? The 550 had it. It will not just strengthen it but also aid in a more cleaner dump of the bucket.

• Like 1

HorseFixer
10 hours ago, farmer said:

by the way, is it just coincidence that all the power goes out in your city around the same time you installing solar arrays and laying cables. :scared-shocked: :teasing-poke: :scared-shocked: :P  

You may be interested in one further addition I added to my bucket that I recommend you think on, I'll include it tonight. :techie-eureka:

Thanks, And Brother Farmer I didn't mention this but guess I will now. When I have a Power Outage I Usually go out in the RV and start the 6500W Onan Generator and plug it in a 20 amp Outlet on the side of the house 20 ft away. And run all my critical Systems. Well guess what? Gen wont start!  :(  And by the way my enphase Solar system shuts off when Power goes off by NEC Standards so I don't fry the utility worker on the power lines. (My System doesn't have Batteries or Invert-er).  So now I have a Generator to Fix!!!!!!! The kitchen hood fan quit working, And the wife says the dishwasher has a leak!  WTF else can go wrong!  :angry-screaming: 

6 hours ago, MalMac said:

Duke, are you going to put a "gusset" on the bottom of the bucket to where it joins the back wall of the bucket? The 550 had it. It will not just strengthen it but also aid in a more cleaner dump of the bucket.

Tim, I had planned on installing  two of them. Since my Bucket is narrower by 7 inches I prolly wouldn't even need any, but for they don't take any room so why not?  :whistle:

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 1

roadapples

I would have thought your solar system would have a transfer switch like a standby generator. That way utility workers would be safe...

• Like 1

HorseFixer
6 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I would have thought your solar system would have a transfer switch like a standby generator. That way utility workers would be safe...

I don't have that kind of a system, and most people don't anymore. The Battery and Invert-er type System is OLD TECHNOLOGY, Requires alot of maintenance and replacement Parts to maintain. Sure you get the convenience of power during a power outage but in my home town it doesn't happen that often. And like I say I do have the RV for back up normally but I have a plugged fuel line (that's what I found yesterday) NO WAY will a Solar System Run a Welder 5hp Compressor and all I do in my shop and house anyways. With a Battey and Inverter type system you have to watch your power consumption.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Decided to put only (1) Gusset inside the bucket for support as two would be WAY OVERKILL.  Internally welded all seams on the inside of the bucket and installed the bucket brackets. The next step will be to install gussets to the bucket brackets for support. I have a 1/2" X 4" Wide  X 48" Long Knife edge for the Bucket ordered for the leading edge of the Bucket. That will be here Monday. Have plenty of brackets and parts to weld so there is no loss for work that's for sure.  B)

DSCN0066.thumb.JPG.8467e105c57c138d6844c11f916babb7.JPG

DSCN0065.JPG

DSCN0058.thumb.JPG.0d9c8787516f9340a5f2ef94a87eec9d.JPG

DSCN0059.thumb.JPG.b647a69e379b8ae9925feac864270226.JPG

DSCN0060.thumb.JPG.12b2d22895e4d35fef3686c4fc1731b9.JPG

DSCN0062.thumb.JPG.d3f1ce29d78a11ec06b1cbd8641e9b14.JPG

DSCN0063.thumb.JPG.a3e663bb1dd42fff523db1ea33fd210a.JPG

DSCN0067.thumb.JPG.dafcbb0902d107a95e5dd6a9437937eb.JPG

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 1

woodchuckfarmer

Looking good Duke. Red paint will be flowing soon.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Duke, you know all the "cool kids" are doing the bare metal flat clear these days on their high $ builds, but seriously looking good I would be torn between epoxy based paints and Powdercoating for the bucket boom arms and sub frame assembly, Jeff.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Switched Gears Sorry Out Of The Shop For A Few Days!  

gonefishing.thumb.jpg.ebff59a3257b28252356b53e0fa44c9e.jpg

Thor27

Duke, Just wanted to say this is a great informative build. Hope your feeling better and back at this soon!

Pullstart

I have contacted Duke a couple different ways to see about purchasing this project, as it is still active in the classifieds.

I don’t see any subframe info here, or if any subframe was in Duke’s original deal.  I didn’t know if he was modifying one, or building one at some point.  Does anyone know who this was purchased from, if they are a forum member that might shed any light on this portion of the project?

I am not sure what tractor this would go on.  If it was truly a quick attachment (less than a few hours) I might consider Hot Wheels or Frank as my best options.  Imagine either one of those machines with a loader and possibly a subframe that might support a ‘hoe?

I hope to hear back from Duke soon :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :happy-bouncyred:

Shynon

@stevasaurus maybe he can help?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Tom, Steve got me a different phone number for Duke.  I’ll try to call him this evening.

Thanks fellas!

Pullstart

@stevasaurus I called, but it was the same number I already had.  It was turned off / straight to a generic greeting unfortunately.  I left a message and hope to hear back.  @HorseFixer If you’re out there... give me a holler.  Hope all is well with ya!

Pullstart

I heard back from Duke tonight.  He’s out of town for a bit but I might be second in line still.  Either way, it’s good to hear that all’s well in his world :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I have scoured this thread so many times, it’s not funny!  @HorseFixer did a great job documenting things, but there seem to be many pictures missing from @Snowmobileaddict’s posts.  I should be able to thumb through the majority of the thread and get what I need to get this mounted to my new 520XI!  I never did update this, I made the deal with a Duke back in May of this year.

Once I catch up on some needed projects like a hauler and plow truck, it’ll be back to this build.  I can’t wait to finish it in the way that Bob intended!

Pullstart

It’s been a while...

Sizing things up.

BC48151C-7FBB-4DAD-936A-65931FE840BF.jpeg

633657C4-3F76-4D16-A9D6-37CDE4E8419A.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

Here’s a bit of a re-introduction video...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3