Amcwheel85

First gravely!

Amcwheel85

Well I'm going tomorrow to pick up my first gravely.. it's got 16hp kohler. Needs tires and a tune up but I'm excited to have it!

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

• Like 8

slim67
5 minutes ago, Amcwheel85 said:

Well I'm going tomorrow to pick up my first gravely.. it's got 16hp kohler. Needs tires and a tune up but I'm excited to have it!

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

Gravelys are super tough im here to tell you. The school system I worked before my current one had commercial 12s and 5665 walk behinds and a couple riders. Attatchments were well built and easy to hook up and you couldnt stop them. Snow drifts over a foot high just took time but no problem. I dont remember one even being broke by careless employees. I guess you probably could tear one up but youll never wear it out. Gravely probably offered 20 different attatchments for their walk behinds including a set of planetaries and a backhoe. Sorry to ramble but I am a Gravely fan for sure. Nice score on yours!

• Like 3

Amcwheel85

So $100 isn't bad money for it?

• Like 1

slim67
8 minutes ago, Amcwheel85 said:

So $100 isn't bad money for it?

That not much more than scrap value. You could resell that for way more than that. That tractor will still be around long after the home depot specials have came and went. 

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Well then I did good! I figured the kohler is worth way more then $100

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Amcwheel85 What year is the Gravely ?

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Idk for sure but he had booklet for that says 1973

jellyghost

I don't understand.  Does that tractor have two engines?  The pics look like one engine is behind the seat.  Is there another engine under the hood?  I am also curious about the three shifter knobs.  That is awesome.

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Gravely made them rear engine, but idk about the 3 levers.. guess I will find out tomorrow lol

• Like 1

squonk

Battery is in the front where an engine is normally. Maybe you can fill the rest with ice and brewski's and make a mobile cooler! :orcs-cheers:

My retired engineer neighbor had one of those with a snowblade. He loved that thing until he hooked on to a load of junk in a crate he couldn't move. Just popped wheelies and banged the blade on the drive way. He was making so much racket I had to investigate. I told him to unhook and I brought out my Power King. I walked that crate out to the curb in 1st gear with out coming off idle. :banana-dance:

• Like 4

slim67
50 minutes ago, squonk said:

Battery is in the front where an engine is normally. Maybe you can fill the rest with ice and brewski's and make a mobile cooler! :orcs-cheers:

My retired engineer neighbor had one of those with a snowblade. He loved that thing until he hooked on to a load of junk in a crate he couldn't move. Just popped wheelies and banged the blade on the drive way. He was making so much racket I had to investigate. I told him to unhook and I brought out my Power King. I walked that crate out to the curb in 1st gear with out coming off idle. :banana-dance:

power kings are in a class by themselves.

7 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I don't understand.  Does that tractor have two engines?  The pics look like one engine is behind the seat.  Is there another engine under the hood?  I am also curious about the three shifter knobs.  That is awesome.

i was told a long time ago that the rider was a converted walkbehind. i dont know if thats true but i never researched it.

• Like 3

squonk
33 minutes ago, slim67 said:

power kings are in a class by themselves.

i was told a long time ago that the rider was a converted walkbehind. i dont know if thats true but i never researched it.

I was told the same thing. They took the power train and instead of the handles and controls out the back they went towards the front. As you can imagine the front is pretty light. Seat height to leg resting height was kind of awkward at least for me. 

I had 2 neighbor's in the 60's with old walk be-hinds. They were old then so I'm thinking they were at least 50's vintage. There was no sleeping in on a Saturday morning with those 2 duking it out mowing their yards at 6 AM. Loud son of a guns. They both had dog eater blowers and in the winter they took turns blowing snow into each other's yards. :)

• Like 2

T-Mo

@Amcwheel85, it seems like you're restocking your collection.  I guess you need a John Deere RF 110 now, and maybe a Power King, a Case big-wheel tractor, and a Simplicity, and ........it goes on and on and on and.....

BTW, if you were closer, I might sell you my '66 John Deere 110 so I can finance a couple of 953s.

• Like 2

Amcwheel85

Well T-mo I would like a John Deere to pull my 50 cart and a nice case to replace the Case 444 black knight I sold in ny. But money is getting tight lol. Took my wanted garden tractor ad down for a week or two to recover. Once I repost it I'm hoping to find more horses

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I have three Gravely walk-behinds and a UTF Mountaineer (designed by a former Gravely engineer that can use Gravely attachments.) You are correct in that they did design the four-wheel tractors using the two-wheel transmission. I believe that the Kohler engines they used had a tapered shaft so that hinders resale. I never got interested in the four wheel tractors as I believe a Wheel Horse is a better product. In my opinion, parts for Gravely tractors are more expensive (for example: clutch rings, planetary gears, etc) than a Wheel Horse.

Here is a link to the Gravely Club.

http://gtcoa.com/

• Like 1

slim67
34 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I have three Gravely walk-behinds and a UTF Mountaineer (designed by a former Gravely engineer that can use Gravely attachments.) You are correct in that they did design the four-wheel tractors using the two-wheel transmission. I believe that the Kohler engines they used had a tapered shaft so that hinders resale. I never got interested in the four wheel tractors as I believe a Wheel Horse is a better product. In my opinion, parts for Gravely tractors are more expensive (for example: clutch rings, planetary gears, etc) than a Wheel Horse.

Here is a link to the Gravely Club.

http://gtcoa.com/

I didn't know you had the 3 walk behinds but am following the Mountaineer thread. I'm not anywhere near a big a fan of Gravely riders as I am of  walk behinds. You have to use one to appreciate them. I wish I had time to dig up the pic of the walk behind with the drop plantaries and 12 inch wheels with ags.

12 hp Kohler

That's a nice gravely, I am a major gravely fan as well as a wheel horse fan. I have 2 gravelys my self and my dad has one to, like them a lot, they are practically invincible 

• Like 1