12 hp Kohler

Kohler starter motor issues

12 hp Kohler

I have a wheel horse c-81 with an 8 hp kohler k181s engine. Today I was driving it and parked it but when I went it start it back up the starter moter wouldn't engage with the fly wheel because it got stuck. I figured out that if I just gave the back of the gear a tap it would get un stuck IMG_0317.thumb.JPG.d10f02c5b6e301235c75b5f2d7609e83.JPGIMG_0318.thumb.JPG.d89ed0d663c580735a6231d16b4991a7.JPGIMG_0319.thumb.JPG.5d9a73fd6b99404b420d761994345df9.JPGbut I had to do that every time I went to start it, does any one have any ideas of why it's getting stuck or what's it's getting stuck on. I'm going to try to take it apart and look at it this weekend. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Sometimes the mounting bolts can loosen and the starter can become misaligned. Also, the Bendix can get gummed up. Take the starter off and clean the Bendix assembly. When reinstalling the starter, be sure that it is properly aligned.

• Like 4

12 hp Kohler

Ok will do, i will let you know if it works 

• Like 1

WHX??

Glad to see you are a supporter 12hp :handgestures-thumbupright: .....what kind of lube is best Bob? @rmaynard

Jerry77
58 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Take the starter off and clean the Bendix assembly

White lube works great on the shaft - had a lot of trouble with a 14h kohler - finally used white lube on it and problem went away..just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

rmaynard

The following was copied directly from the Kohler service manual:

bendix_serv.png.a4ac00b4bac90a04c61f7ec6d74a280b.png

• Like 1

pfrederi
10 hours ago, rmaynard said:

The following was copied directly from the Kohler service manual:

bendix_serv.png.a4ac00b4bac90a04c61f7ec6d74a280b.png

I bought a tube from my WH parts place and have used it on an overhaul  No problem with it it was about $5...but then i do not have many starter problems.

Britton Baker

I had this prroblem on my grandpas Commando 800 we took the starter off and cleaned and it went right back to wotking like they said. Just be sure to wacth the gear mesh.

oliver2-44

Hopefully a cleaning and grease will fit it.

However, I had one that would stick even after cleaning and greasing, and the front bushing had work excessively. I couldn't find a replacement bushing, but a electric motor/starter repair shop replaced it for me.  You may now be able to find one on ebay if needed. 

12 hp Kohler

Ok, thanks for all the info, I will see what works this weekend when I take it apart 

12 hp Kohler

I went to start up the c-81 today and the starter problem went away, so I just worked on the 753 instead