Britton Baker

Big Elecrical Issue

Britton Baker

I have a 1963 753 with the k161 kholer and my wiring has burnt twice. The first time had the voltage regulator cover off and I saw the contacts stick together then all wiring was melted. I have since then rewired it and the same thing happened again. I have looked in my manuals at the wiring diagram and I have done it correctly. My question is could I put in like an inline fuse or does anyone know the solution to this or has anyone had this problem.  :wh::thanks:

Edited by 1962wheelhorse753

Britton Baker

Screenshot_2017-03-28-18-39-29.thumb.png.6496cddc082ade91624f3c83ad49acaa.pngThis middle wire burns first and the wires from the amp meter. 

Screenshot_2017-03-28-18-39-18.thumb.png.8a374d217324bb0021db8baec6f26ca0.pngAlso this one on the back. I think this is where it goes.

Screenshot_2017-03-28-18-39-29.png

gwest_ca

Will let the more experienced respond to your problem. Here is a link to a Kohler manual that covers this system so you have it available.

This is the one you want to download.

Kohler 4-72 SM Section 07.1-7.6 Starter - generator HR.pdf

Garry

953 nut

Your center terminal on the voltage regulator should go to the battery (if you have an amp meter it will go to it and then to the battery). If that is smoking you have a short to ground in the regulator or some other place. Take a look at this guide and diagrams. The diagrams are not :wh: but have some good info.

Starter Generator Assembly Trouble shooting.docx

58daf505d41d6_Startergeneratorwiring.jpg.c1c09e559d9afee207e37b2b552378e4.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

My guess is the ammeter. I have seen a few bad ones and if it's original, it's time

Britton Baker

The amp meter is original and also my wiring diagram for the 753 looks nothing like that.  Wonder what it could be I have seen a few different diagrams. I guess thats just the joys of the tractors. Tanks for the help but im still dumbfounded

pfrederi

Terminals on the Regulator are corroded looking, Clean them up they are stamped B (battery to teh left as you look at it G in the center F to the right goes to F terminal on Genny

Is there a terminal in the bottom of the regulator? Something doesn't look right in the pictures?  i doubt that is the original regulator

you said the contacts stay shut in the regulator??/ Can you work a points file between them to free them and clean them??

753.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

pfrederi

If you have a 4 wire regulator (one on the bottom 3 out front the wiring changes a bit)

The under wire goes to the A terminal on the genny along with a heavy black wire from the starter switch

The front three are then L (Load)  BAT (battery)  F Field

L will go to the igniton switch

Bat will go to Pos terminal on battery Normally would go through the ammeter but since it may be a problem leave it out of the circuit for row

F goes to Field on Genny

4 wire.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

Britton Baker

I think the regulator is original once I rewire it again I will file down the contacts. Should I wire in a fuse tho to be safe. Im a newby to electrical but I can fix the mechanical issues

pfrederi

Does it have a terminal on the bottom of the regulator?  An original would have a black case not white.  I am working on a longer post to help you run this down.

Britton Baker

Yes there is a terminal on the bottom. Sorry it has beem painted white by previous owner. I will fix everything eventualy

pfrederi

That is  key.  the wiring diagrams are inaccurate in that area.  The bottom terminal should be connected to the A terminal on the Genny (along with the heavy wire from the starter switch)  That wire doesn't appear in the wiring diagrams (it is part of the S/G itself not  a WH part.)

The left terminal on the front of the regulator is the load and goes to the ignition switch

The center one is battery.  Until you are sure you ammeter is good i would wire it directly to the battery positive.

Right is Field goes to F terminal.

You do not need a fuse

If you get it running take a voltage reading.

Edited by pfrederi

Britton Baker

Thank you so much I still have two more questions. One how could i test the volt meter and two could this happen agin if it is wired correctly with a working amp meter.

pfrederi

I meant hat you should use an independent multi meter to get a voltage reading while it was running ..should be 13.6 to 14.6 v

If it works OK bypassing the ammeter then a new ammeter will solve it. However if the contacts in the regulator are badly burned or stuck it may happen again.

• Like 1

Britton Baker

OK thank you that 7hp kohler runs great just electrical isssues  wil tell you if I have any more issues

• Like 1