Oldarmy

New old guy here

Oldarmy
6 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

That deck should use a 1 peace spindle and I replaced all 3 for less then $100.00. But if there badly rusted you will have a hard time trying to got them off without destroying the pulleys. I did a post on how I got the bad double pully off without destroying the pully. Search for (spindle replacement) in the search icon top right of site . this will give you an idea of what a bad spindle can be like.  Use lots of penetrating oil and let it soak in . try this

The guy I bought it from has had it apart already but not having a computer or any info available to him thought it could be disassembled and the bearings replaced. Guess he did not know it was one piece unit. So as soon as I get it here, hopefully tomorrow I'll get the deck numbers. And try to locate a replacement. I really liked your drill and saw blade trick and will remember that one. Great ingenuity on your part. That's using your noggin. 

can whlvr

you will find the spindle easily with the correct serial number of the deck,but I'm fairly sure it will be toro part number 103119,thats the spindle number for a 75-36ms02,which is a 1977 36 inch side discharge mower deck,no loger available from toro but pretty sure on ebay,i got mine from my local parts guy who gets stens stuff,and every other manufactuer,they are pricy but if you have the pulley off already that's the hard part,and I looked on ebay and theres lots of them around 40 bucks,and the stens ones were there too and I found them to be a good product

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

@Oldarmy Can whlvr is right on the part number that is the  one peace bearing but you still have to remove it from the housing . And that is the hard part. You have to remove the pully to get to the bolts that hold the bearing and housing.

One piece refers to the bearings are one piece not 2 separate bearings. When I used the hack saw I actually cut the top of the bearing off. But since I was replacing the bearing all was well.

Retired Wrencher

Oldarmy :WRS: You can not go wrong with a B80 I have had many. That looks great. Looks to good to work with. But blow it off every time you mow and once a year take the engine shrouds of and blow out the fins on the engine. This will keep the engine running cool. And change the oil a few times while engine break in. Enjoy.

Oldarmy

Thanks again all. I just got it delivered around an hour ago and she now sits in my building. I got the numbers off the deck and they are 75-36MS01-10036 and below that is 6348. Like I was saying the PO had it apart so hopefully it will come out without much drama. If someone can point me in the right direction for the spindle it would be appreciated greatly. It is the one on the discharge side I can feel the slop in it. Are they all the same part #? Do you think it better to replace them all. The other two have a little movement but not bad I guess. I too think it's too purdy to get all dirty but I will treat her well and she will save my back. :) 

• Like 1

GlenPettit

:)  Welcome to Red Square.

Edited by GlenPettit

pfrederi

Parts listing for your deck is here

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/965-mower-rotary-36in-sd-1977-75-36ms01-tipl-dna-snpdf/

The item you referenced "should fit"  They used different spindle setups at various time check out  spindle pictures at the link above.  If the spindle in your deck looks like the one in your link you are ready to go. 

Edited by pfrederi

can whlvr

as stated you need to get the spindle out of the housing and if you can you only need the 103119 spindle asembly

jay bee

@Oldarmy  you will notice on that 103119 spindle that the shaft on one end is smooth and the shaft on the other end has a groove in it.  The shaft with the groove goes toward the top of the deck.

Jim

Oldarmy

I think I have it now and thank everyone for the help. I'll let you know how I make out. I got a snow storm to get through first unfortunately.:(

• Like 2

WHX??

Looks like you are getting hammered Army..hunker down and hang tight!

Oldarmy

I thought I would revive this old thread of mine. I have to say after using my 1977 B80  tractor this spring and summer I am in love with this old girl. She cuts beautifully pulls like a horse should and purrs like a kitten.  I have a pretty steep path that leads down to a lower level of my property where I have my shooting range. This girl climbs up that hill like the Cog Railroad and it just keeps impressing me with it's power. It blows me away that a 40 year old 8hp engine can do what it does. Did I say I love this thing lol. Hope you are all having a great summer. :flags-usa:

• Like 4

Jim Demery
On 3/28/2017 at 3:17 PM, Oldarmy said:

Hello fellas new guy here and just wanted to say hello. I am old but new to old tractors and just bought this one today in NH where I live. I have been looking for something simple like this for a couple of years now. I will use this for mowing and to help me move things around my property. The older gent I got it from is a very meticulous fellow and has restored several tractors in his 70 plus years. He did this one a year or so ago and did full on rebuild of the 8hp Kohler all new internals. Went through every nut and bolt. Only thing it needs is a spindle replaced or rebuilt. He was having fits trying to take it apart to change out the bearings. Also never added decals but I may. He was going to ride this around at tractor shows but has decided to move south and is selling off a bunch of stuff. The pics don't do it justice. It's a 77 ? B80 8 speed even threw in an original Wheel Horse gas can, anyone ever seen one of these ? Any way I know jack about these and hope to pick some brains here and learn a little. Any way that's my story. Btw I paid him $950 for this he gave me receipts for close to $700 in parts and the work he has done here speaks for it self.

00G0G_hcRlzIa7Cow_600x450.jpg

01212_9DnwV4DyNS2_600x450.jpg

00o0o_hvcdt2ni8zQ_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_87JHpSqY8rp_600x450.jpg

00X0X_jbTlprjKk5L_600x450.jpg

:text-welcomeconfetti:Jim 

• Like 1