WHX??

Pressure Washer Woes

WHX??

So I got this Generac from Home Cheapo quite a few years ago. Motor always ran good and is a nice little unit....when the pump works. I had boughten one and it was such a POS I took it back and told them to stuff it. They gave me another identical one as a replacement, stupid me I took it, and then when just out of warranty it did the same thing. Now I got told to stuff it & :bitch:at Generac. Was by told by them I had to take it to a service center a zillion miles away but since it was out of warranty I would be raped for any service charges they might bestow on me. Shoved it in a corner and borrowed the cheapy Crapsman from the shop.  Turns out the pump had some design issues right from the git go.

So now the trusty old Sears is giving up the ghost so now time to revive the Generac. OK... replacement pump no problem according to these guys http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts.com/generac-pressure-washer-model-1292 note what they have to say about my model!

I always knew I could get a replacement pump but too much of a tightwad hence borrowing form work!

Here's the real dilemma, for 189 clams I can get the pump which is plug & play or think about a whole new one for 320 somolians? Maybe repurpose the Briggs on the Genny for a go cart for the youngins or rat rod Suburban for myself?

The Generac is rated 2300psi @  2.5 GPM. While the one at Northern is 3100 psi, either one powerful enough to destroy a fine patina if not careful. More other ones out there in my price range I'm sure. Either way can't live without one for those greasy new to me's & other chores around the ranch.

Some pics .. I bet the Briggs, which is a fine motor by the way, doesn't have 20 hours on it.

Thoughts/suggestions?

20170328_095026[1].jpg

20170328_094903[1].jpg

20170328_094730[1].jpg

Edited by WHX9
speeling
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Sorry for your woes Jim.   

Reading Generacs confession on the bad  pump, it sounds like they have a handle on the problem and have faith in the upgrade pump by  offering  a  2 yr warranty.

I guess I vote to give them another chance.    Have you pressed them for compensation for the bad pumps if you buy the upgrade?    The should at least sell it to you at wholesale .

• Like 2

WHX??

I probably should try that Ed but I fear I let to much time pass, I think I bought this in early 2000's.  Wouldn't hurt to try tho I guess. I wasn't aware that they had "officially" fessed up to the issue?? I was so po'ed I kinda swore off their products for awhile, figured they were getting too big for their britches.  

While we're on the subject does anyone use those turbo nozzle thingys, I been thinkin about one but the prices vary wildly. why is that?  

• Like 1

JoeM

I had the same problem a few years ago with a similar unit, I got a replacement on evil bay for less than $90. Bolted right on and ran fine. I did have a problem with the un loader on the unit several months later and the people that sold it to me we great and supported their product.

Might be worth a try???

• Like 1

Racinbob

I really don't have any advice for you Jim but I'm not sure I'm liking this. I got tired of going through the vertical l motor things so I purchased a Generac about a year ago. It's a larger unit and I can only hope it's got the better pump Ed mentioned. We've used the snot out of it as well as the kids and so far, so good. :)

Spoiler

• Like 1

WHX??
23 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

I did have a problem with the un loader

Unloader issues here too, it would unload and regulate fine when working but if it unloaded it would not load back up without a lot of fiddling and French.  I wouldn't worry too much Bob, I believe this was an isolated incident and really wasn't Generac's fault. General Pump (GP) is the maker of the pump. I'm sure this particular pump model  is long obsolete.  

Jerry77
47 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

turbo nozzle thingys

Had one on an electric powered washer - not a high priced turbo but did an incredible job.  Things sure are pricey tho. Probably not worth the money unless you have some really stubborn stuff to remove...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

pfrederi

I bought a Northern Unit over 20 years ago with a Horizontal shaft Techy.. Engine still runs just fine...Had an issue a couple years ago the pump froze and cracked (was about 0 and i forgot the light bulb under the unit in the garage:(.  Put on a CAT pmp and it still works great.

WHX??
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

pump froze and cracked

I always worried about that so kept them in the heated garage till they took up too much room. Now just blow them out good at seasons end and out to other sheds they go.

• Like 1

ztnoo

If there is no drain plug on the pump to purge water from the pump, in our northern winters often the pumps freeze and crack the housing or something else rendering the pump useless.

If you are going to replace the pump, I'd look for one with a drain, or drill and tap my own for a plug to make certain there's no water in the unit over the winter.

WVHillbilly520H

Jim, you think you're cheap, I use a $79 HF electric power washer (1800psi max?) just a hopped up garden hose in reality, enough to splinter the decking but sometimes not nearly enough for those (sometimes) grimy horses and dad's old Cub Cadet original last summer, guess it's the happy medium between full on pressure washer and the garden hose, wish I had access to the old steam Jenny I used at my first job at the IH farm dealership back home, Jeff.

• Like 4

clueless
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I bought a Northern Unit over 20 years ago with a Horizontal shaft Techy.. Engine still runs just fine...Had an issue a couple years ago the pump froze and cracked (was about 0 and i forgot the light bulb under the unit in the garage:(.  Put on a CAT pmp and it still works great.

Put a Cat on it, you'll be fine.

JoeM

I have a old inlet hose from a washing machine that I made up. I connect it up and pour windshield washer fluid through it to keep it from freezing. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 5

stevasaurus

I was just reading this thread where a guy up by you has just the thing you are looking for.  It's a steam washer.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

00505_d3bvdUMJkSa_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

pfrederi

Pump gets used all year round we live on a dirt road and last winter had 800-1000 water tucks and dump truck heading up to the gas well pad to frac it.  Winter before not quite as many but bigger as they hauled the drilling rig in and out and all the support it needed..  Mud Mud Mud except when it froze then dust...

stevasaurus

Paul...can't believe you are that close to the fracking thingy.  Any earth quakes yet???  :(

pfrederi
25 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Paul...can't believe you are that close to the fracking thingy.  Any earth quakes yet???  :(

Not to go off topic but no earthquakes..More concerned about screwing up the well water. Eleven wells on one pad about 300 ft from my property line.

• Like 1

can whlvr

I purchased a bearcat pressure washer with a horizontal Honda and it was only 500 up here in Canada,which should be about 300 bucks in the usa,its an echo product and seems to be pretty good,alot of use and tonnes of power,i also have acess to an electric sthil which is nice,and we have a be brand at work with a 13 Honda,it blew the decals off of our brand new deere loader

Spoiler
Spoiler

JimD
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I was just reading this thread where a guy up by you has just the thing you are looking for.  It's a steam washer.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

:ROTF:

6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

• Like 2

WHX??

Nice that you clowns get belly splitters off of my dilemmas! :lol: 

• Like 1

stevebo

I have had a honda powered one for at least 7-8 years and still working great.