hondasl125

damaged spark plug hole threads in K161

hondasl125

I have a Kohler K161, 28522E with possibly damaged thread holes in head! The spark plug doesn't screw in very well through top but bottom threads seem fine! Is there any way to repair this(threaded insert possibly) OR do I have the WRONG spark plug possibly? Manual calls for a Champion RJ8C!

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
3 minutes ago, hondasl125 said:

I have a Kohler K161, 28522E with possibly damaged thread holes in head! The spark plug doesn't screw in very well through top but bottom threads seem fine! Is there any way to repair this(threaded insert possibly) OR do I have the WRONG spark plug possibly? Manual calls for a Champion RJ8C!

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

looks stripped. helicoil would be best bet but if you are looking for a good used head id sell one cheap. i got a couple spares.

• Like 6

KC9KAS

@hondasl125 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

953 nut

:WRS:     the J-8 is the correct plug. any good auto repair shop or machine shop can insert a Helicoil for you, call around for prices first, could vary wildly. 

Image result

• Like 3

JC 1965

:WRS:

rmaynard

You definitely have stripped threads, but you also have a lot of options available to you. A Helicoil kit, a machine shop, eBay (always full of K161/181 heads), and many of our members have a spare head just laying around. Good luck and :WRS:

• Like 2

Sarge

Could send it here , I can weld the hole back within tolerance and retap the 14mm threads easily....just shipping costs .

Sarge

• Like 7

WHX??

Good Idea Sarge, I would opt for a spare head, looks like there maybe some flatness and other issues going on there. :)

:WRS: Honda

clueless
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Could send it here , I can weld the hole back within tolerance and retap the 14mm threads easily....just shipping costs .

Sarge

Send it to the Sarge, that's probable the cheapest thing. Shipping would be less than a machine shop. The problem with a Helicoil  kit is that you get extra inserts, so unless you plan on doing more heads down the road, it's a waste of money. Ship It to Sarge:twocents-02cents:

WHX??
1 hour ago, clueless said:

that you get extra inserts

Not a problem with some of the hoarders we got hangin out here! I myself, guilty as charged, like havin some "extras" for the shelf. Problem is now where did I put those hoobie doos?!?! :confusion-confused: :confusion-shrug::lol:

• Like 3

hondasl125

I have hundred or so STANDARD thread taps! Does Helicoil have O.D standard thread size and 14MM I.D which would make easier? I can get a Helicoil insert for about $4! If not I'll look around Mid Mi. here for a couple of weeks for a used head( I know a couple of folks who may have one)! If not,I'll look into some of options above! Thanks to all!

Sarge

Helicoils typically use a different/odd thread size taps to make the kit work and are specific to each coil size - I can take a look at mine for the 14mm spark plug and see what size it is - some are general standard thread sizes , but most aren't and are specific to Helicoil .

If you want it welded , it's either the next 2 days or after a few weeks - headed to a power plant outage next Monday - working 6/10's until it's done...

Sarge

WHX??

Nose around here Honda for an answer to see what they have.

http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm

rmaynard

@hondasl125 I have a head from a K181 that has been repaired with a Helicoil. I sold other parts off the engine, but if you would like to try this head, I can send it to you for the cost of shipping. Needs to be cleaned, but it looks quite functional. PM me if interested.

head1.jpg.efc8acc55e19634eb31007ace9d2f503.jpghead2.jpg.55f6a0b0e610996d4185bfd4b8dd8e78.jpghead3.jpg.28afc7a0665967a618c9cdf8242e8b53.jpg

• Like 2

WH nut

Get ahold of Kelly on here. Im sure he will have a head for you. I have heilicoiled but they didn't last Better to jut replace the head

oldredrider

@hondasl125 I've got a GOOD K161 head. Send me a pm if your'e interested. 

Howie

I like the type that is an insert instead of the helicoil. When installed the top rolls over and kind of crimps into place. The name escapes

me right now though.

Sarge

Timesert - and they require a pretty good whack to set them properly - you have to take a lot of care on a single cylinder aluminum cylinder head due to the risk of cracking/breaking the head .

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

Sarge

Howie

What I have is probably the same thing, but this one is from an Australian company. Its called Fix-A-Thred Plug Saver. Alcoa Fastening Systems.

I set the spark plug hole on a piece of hardwood when seating the insert. Did not want to seat it without some support. I came upon this set at a

store that does buyouts and got a very good deal on it. Have not seen any more at the price I paid.