Cee245

97 416H tranny oil change

Cee245

Hi everyone, I have a question about my 97 416h model 73423 and (I think) Eaton 1100 transmission.  I feel dumb about asking but here goes... 

I downloaded the manual (it says eaton 11 not 1100) for it and it says to use about 5 quarts of 10w30. I clicked on maintenance to get that ~5 quart capacity 

I'm not new to changing the trans fluid but today it's seems to be taking forever!  I'm fearing I overfilled by taking the downloaded manuals advice on 5 quarts..... 

In the past, I always went to the dealer and bought EVERYTHING needed to complete the job.  I hate to admit that I haven't done it in a couple years.

This time I looked here on RS for capacity and also bought the Napa filters as they have good reviews here.  Am I being impatient or what did I royally screw up? 

Thanks

C

1490658136567.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

The 5 qts is based on a complete draining of the system.  Unlikely you will ever get in a full 5 qts.  Go with the dipstick.  it takes forever to fill them.  You can try loosening the filter or removing a bolt from the the top of the transaxle..or just be very patient and work slowly.

• Like 4

953 nut

The only vent path is through the oil in the filler; some folks put a piece of wire along side the funnel as it enters the trans to allow air to escape. Like Paul said, put in four quarts and run it then check the dip stick.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

pfrederi

A small wire along side the funnel may help also to bleed out the air

953 beat me

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Cee245

Thanks for the quick response pfrederi, 953 nut!

I drained fluid and changed filter, there is about 4.5 quarts added as of now including the oil in the funnel.  Its been ~ 2hrs now and doesn't seem to move now.  Will try venting using my extra snowblower chute wire now. 

• Like 1

Cee245

This doesn't seem to have much effect. Its gone down a very little though. but its been a half hour.

I will check tomorrow and post updates. 

1490660230370.jpg

leeave96

Crack open the oil filter and fill it up.

• Like 2

Howie

Wire should be on the outside of the funnel where it goes in transmission.

• Like 4

WHX??

Good advice above...tranny needs to burp when filling... I take out a trans top bolt when doing this but I do the trans. maintenance when I have the fenders off for cleaning. Can be just as simple as a drinking straw next to the funnel.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Well the first thing you did wrong was use a filter with a ck valve (I THINK). To my knowledge only a wheel horse filter does not have a ck valve built in to prevent flow restriction. I know a little bit about filtration  and cut away many filters to prove a point.  I have since talked to many WH Toro Mechanics and they have verified this.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

953 nut
16 hours ago, 953 nut said:

wire along side the funnel

along side, not inside.

• Like 1

rmaynard

If you used a NAPA-1410 filter you are okay. Let the fluid settle as much as possible, jack up the rear wheels, start the engine, put it in gear and let the oil circulate. Operate the lift cylinder a couple of times. After a few minutes of that, stop and check your level. If it's still too high, drain a little out. After you've got the dip stick reading in the correct range, take the tractor for a drive. Re-check.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 6

pfrederi

I have wix 51410 (they make Napa) on 6 hydos no problems.

• Like 3

rmaynard

My 416-H had the wrong NAPA filter on it when I got it. Hydro was spitting oil everywhere. A new 1410 fixed that, and it's been running fine since. Recently plowed snow with temperature around 12 degrees. Tractor sat outside all night, and I didn't even have to let the transmission warm up. 

• Like 4

WHX??
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

take the tractor for a NICE LONG drive.

:)

• Like 1

Cee245

Thanks for all the tips!  I have the Napa Gold 1521 filter. I seen from another post that it was the one to use.  So the Napa 1410 filter is the better one??

Also put a Napa gold 1762 on the onan.  Is this ok? 

After letting it sit over night with fluid still in the funnel, it all drained into the tranny.  I ended up putting on jack stands and moving the wheels back and forth for a few minutes also used the lift cylinder a bit.  That seemed to do the trick.  I haven't ridden it yet as it been rainy here. 

Thanks 

C

Edited by Cee245
  • Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Cee245 said:

That seemed to do the trick.

:woohoo:

• Like 2

Cee245

I really appreciate all the support this site has to offer!  You guys help a lot of less knowledgeable guys, like me, out all the time. 

What is everyone's MOST preferred filter set up for the 416? Please include Engine (p216) transmission  (eaton 1100) and air/fuel filter. 

I had always gone to the dealer in the past and told them what maintenance I wanted and then they gave me all parts/fluids to do the job..

Thanks

C

Edited by Cee245

squonk

1762 is the correct engine filter and 1410 is the correct trans filter. A Napa 1521 IS AN ENGINE OIL FILTER. DO NOT USE! 

• Like 2

Cee245

Squonk, thanks for that info.  I will change to the 1410 later today... good thing I haven't driven it yet. Thanks!

• Like 1

Cee245

Just a quick update... With 3 little ones to take care of, I didn't have the time to work on it today after getting home. 

I did however buy 2 Napa gold 1410 HYDRAULIC Filters today!  Lol.. On sale for a little less than $7 each.  I thought that was pretty good deal compared to usual price.  Is the Hydraulic filter stronger/thicker or something? What could have happened?  

I hope this thread help the next guy into MAKING 100% SURE you get the correct parts before performing a (what should have been an easy) job.  I will try to get a little time tomorrow. 

Thanks

~C

Edited by Cee245
  • Like 2

WHX??

Thats a good deal C.. I think I paid about 10 bucks a piece. Who knows what might have happened with the wrong filter but lets not find out! Run into problems use us here and :romance-grouphug::romance-grouphug:hug your kids!

• Like 1

can whlvr

a hydrolic filter has no by pass valve like an engine filter does,if the filter gets plugged to a certain point the bypass opens and lets all the crap into the clean reservoir,then inside the pump which will destroy it ver y quickly,if you had run it I dought much crap would be let into the reservoir as its all new oil and new filter,but you caught it and all is good

• Like 3

Cee245

Thanks for that info Can whlvr...,

I was able to change to the correct filter today and ran it around the yard a little bit ago.  There wasn't much oil loss and I only had to add a little over a quart to get it to the proper level.  It's raining here again so that wasn't much fun BUT, I now have learned a few things so overall it's all good. 

Thanks to everyone for their input

~C

• Like 2