Sign in to follow this  
bluelinehiway

522xi PTO Problems?

bluelinehiway

Have a 1998 522xi Wheel Horse / Toro with the 60" deck. I'm pulling it out of the barn to prepare for mowing. Last year towards the end of the season. once hot, I'd turn off the blades and then, they wouldn't restart unless I let it cool down some. I thought the air gap could be the problem but whe I went to the service manual, it says the PTO is not adjustable and perform a voltage test on the coil. Should I look for anything beside this advice? Thanks.

WVHillbilly520H

The PTO clutch is electric and basically non-serviceable, usually the bearing fails which in turn causes the electro-magnetic coil to overheat and eventually fail, but remember the simple stuff first check the wiring connections for corrosion, wiring for shorts bare spots in the insulation ect and the fuse(s) block for corrosion dirt chaffe ect, Jeff.

bluelinehiway

Great advice. Will follow your info. Many thanks.

Berco

I had the same issue. I just made sure to cut without stopping. Then my mower would not restart - dead battery. I replaced the battery and not she restarts and starts fine and my PTO issue is fixed. I bet low voltage is your issue and it is related to the battery as it only happens when the mower has been used for a bit.

• Like 1

katanski
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

The PTO clutch is electric and basically non-serviceable, usually the bearing fails which in turn causes the electro-magnetic coil to overheat and eventually fail, but remember the simple stuff first check the wiring connections for corrosion, wiring for shorts bare spots in the insulation ect and the fuse(s) block for corrosion dirt chaffe ect, Jeff.

How do you remove the electric PTO?

BravoCharleyWindsor

Mine was doing the same thing. You could try blowing any debris from between the plates, but likely the gap has worn too far to close. I bought a replacement clutch, installed it, and problem was solved. It was a relatively easy repair too. The old clutch was shot, bearings were disintegrated. I'm surprised it worked at all hot or cold.