jellyghost

Shopping and Looking for Advice

jellyghost

This cute wheel horse just came up for sale.  The engine is a Tecumseh 5hp, and I think it is a suburban.  The engine turns, but it doesn't run.  This is the only pic so far.  What other issues should I be concerned with?  What is a decent price for a tractor in this shape?  I wanted a round hood with a small engine for me and the kids.  They don't surface very often around here.

Cute Wheel Horse.jpg

• Like 5

rj35hunter

That is a 1960 Suburban ST550 with the 5.5 HP Lauson/Tecumseh engine with both electric start and recoil start....biggest thing is the engine...they can be good but quirky. 

• Like 5

HorseFixer

I'm with Clay on this indeed a Suburban 550 that is a pretty nice one compared to many that I have seen that has been found.  I would say if it ran I would try not give over $300.00 for it. A Nice Suburban 550 don't come up all that often. I live 12 miles from South Bend and I havent seen but a couple and they were crap compared to that one. A Tractor is worth what you want to spend for it. A Good friend of mine Ray Baker Suburban550 on here found one back in 1997 and restored it, and it runs like a TOP. The finished paint job shown does not do the Tractor Justice. This Tractor has the BEST PAINT JOB I have everseen on a tractor. :bow-blue:   You may be able to clean that up pretty nice and keep it original. Some are better left that way. As you can see by Ray's his needed some attention.  Good luck with it if you get it let us know :handgestures-thumbupright:  ~Duke

58d980a8790b6_12-28-200845827PM.thumb.jpg.d672d85bc3b687031717c718ba9fdbad.jpg

58d980b3481e3_12-28-200850628PM.thumb.jpg.988ea771a1f2899a725b73c29eeca64f.jpg

2008WHSHOW022.jpg.b9e1258d599f6d271b71d4a122b6ad0c.jpg

2008WHSHOW023.jpg.7debf429e596f6fc945c452bb81c23c8.jpg

2008WHSHOW025.jpg.f378a6d0d460f06e5cbad2319ff3e079.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 6

jellyghost

If the engine fix is beyond my capabilities, can they be sent off for a rebuild or is their a good repower option?  Is their anything about this model that may be extra dangerous?  I notice that the engine is really close to the seat.

• Like 1

JimD
7 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

If the engine fix is beyond my capabilities, can they be sent off for a rebuild or is their a good repower option?  Is their anything about this model that may be extra dangerous?  I notice that the engine is really close to the seat.

That's why they call them nut roasters. :)

• Like 4

HorseFixer
34 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

That is a Valuable Tractor with alot of history. You want to keep it original.  Many guys on here would prefer Kohler engines but Lawson's aka Tecumseh engines were used on many models also. See if the engine has compression by pulling the starter plug in of course. Make sure you ck the oil in it and if it has been sitting may be a good Idea to take spark plug out and shoot some oil through spark plug hole in the Cylinder, then pull the rope a few times to ensure cylinder walls and rings get some oil on them. Re-tighten plug Then Put a little gas in it maybe a pint choke it and see if you can get it to Puff and start. Let us know how it goes. These tractors  1955 to 1964 are known as ROUNDHOOD'S and many have the engines in front of the seat and as Jim stated are known as ball burners or Nut Roasters.:handgestures-thumbupright: 

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 3

Racinbob

Now that's a nice find. I was prepared and willing to go over what Duke suggested, and was probably right, for my 1960 400 but fortunately I didn't have to. They just aren't out there anymore. If you want it then by all means get it. :)

Spoiler

• Like 2

HorseFixer
8 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Now that's a nice find. I was prepared and willing to go over what Duke suggested, and was probably right, for my 1960 400 but fortunately I didn't have to. They just aren't out there anymore. If you want it then by all means get it. :)

Hide contents

I'm with Bob on this, as I said Id try not to spend over $300.00 for it that's a good starting place but it is worth more than that in that shape. :wh:

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    depending on the age and attention span of your children a :wh: could develop into a learning experience. You will need to supervise them when they begin doing anything that has the potential to injure children (or adults). The nut roasters have a bad habit of doing a wheelee if the clutch is let out too fast. 

• Like 3

jellyghost

I just noticed that it doesn't have a belt guard.  Is that something that can be made?  

• Like 1

DennisThornton

It would tempt my pocket for more than $300!

• Like 2

HorseFixer
1 hour ago, jellyghost said:

I just noticed that it doesn't have a belt guard.  Is that something that can be made?  

There are some guys out there making aftermarket Belt Guards for the RJ's and Suburbans. ;)

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 1

T-Mo

Jelly,

I would definitely buy it if I was you, unless it was ridiculously too high priced.  I have the model that replaced that one, a 1961 551.  They're neat little tractors and will attract a lot of attention at tractor shows.  Just be aware that parents and kids alike, think it's a kiddie tractor and so you have kids who want to climb all over them, and with their parents encouragement. :angry-nono:

• Like 2

WHX??

Go get it and :auto-layrubber: Yes that looks in great shape compared to some we've seen. Sheet metal looks good. I personally would max out at around 450 pending inspection. Solid seat pan might suggest an early year 550.

evanloock

$300 is low for that tractor.  The 550 is seen much less often than a 400.  It still has the shield around the carb which is often missing.  When blowing up the pic it appears to have the belt guard in place.  The original engine is a Lauson H55B-1170 engine.  It's worth more if it has not been shortblocked (check the PTO side of the engine for an indention near the bottom for the oil pump apparatus).  Some engine parts for the original motor are NLA such as oil pump parts and carb parts for the Tillotson carb.  See if it still has the hardware to secure the battery in the toolbox under the seat. Good luck!

• Like 1

jellyghost

I made an arrangement to get the tractor.  I hope to have it next week!

• Like 3

WHX??

Good man Jelly......:wwp:

T-Mo
8 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I made an arrangement to get the tractor.  I hope to have it next week!

You won't regret it.