Sparky

Ignition switch "lube"

Sparky

On a couple of my lesser used machines the ignition switch doesn't turn as smoothly as the ones that get regular use. One of them it feels like the key doesn't turn back once the machine starts. Is there a particular lubricant that's ok to spray into the key slot? Silicone spray? White lithium? WD-40 (probably not).

Mike......

• Like 1

Jerry77

PB Blaster is safe ( and effective ) for electrical systems..:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

Sparky
5 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

PB Blaster is safe ( and effective ) for electrical systems..:twocents-02cents:

Perfect! And I have PB on my shelf already!

Thanks Jerry.

Mike......

• Like 1

stevebo

:ph34r:

oliver2-44

If you have some dielectric grease or silicone grease that also good. filling the key switch with grease doesn't leave any room for moisture.

• Like 2

Adams94

I would use pb blaster as well:twocents-02cents:

JPWH

I use spray graphite on all my outside locks. Usually lasts about a year. It can be messy till it dries so use sparingly.

W9JAB

Ignition switch "lube"

Hey go into the garage and next to the blinker fluid and spare muffler bearings you'll find the ignition switch lube.:ROTF:

• Like 1

Sarge

I wouldn't use a penetrant oil of that type on switch contacts - best thing I've found over the years for those switches and other electrical components is from Caig - DeOxit D5 Gold - takes very little to work and will clean the contacts as well as lube it and keep it protected from corrosion . I always try to save any old switches I run across since the newer replacements are built with really cheap , crappy components/parts and will never last long compared to the originals . When we did the electrical system in a buddy's '55 Chevy 210 I rebult/cleaned every electrical switch/plug and made new electrical connections to refresh them - the original parts were heavy brass/copper and far better built than the replacement junk he bought - I refused to install any of it . Door/headlight/ignition switches were just dirty and corroded a bit , a light cleaning and a coat of D5 makes them work perfectly - should last another 60yrs easily from when we did the wiring system in 2010 .

Here's a link to the stuff , it's not cheap but a small can should last the average user about 5-10yrs - it takes very little to do it's job .

https://www.parts-express.com/caig-deoxit-gold-g5s-6-spray-5-oz--341-225

Sarge

• Like 1

Jerry77
On 3/26/2017 at 9:17 PM, Jerry77 said:

PB Blaster is safe ( and effective ) for electrical systems

Read the label years ago and have used it on numerous old car electrical (switches etc) restorations - not a problem...:twocents-02cents:

Sarge

They will all make that claim - it just means the stuff won't eat any of the internal parts or conduct electricity in a manner as to cause a short/fire . I just kicked in a $50 order to them yesterday for a few of their products that were on sale - Caig makes some really top notch stuff for anything auto/industrial/audio electric cleaning/protection . It's priced a bit high , but their stuff always takes very little to make it work , unlike most cleaners for electrical contacts and is the only one I've found that will dissolve arc film from silver contacts in relays - such as our starter-gens . I've got some vintage audio equipment and their stuff is the go-to for cleaning pots/switches and relays to get old equipment working again and prevent future problems . The can sizes are pretty small , but as much as I use it the stuff seems to last forever .

Sarge