FatJackDurham

New to me 416-8 with deck, about 75%

FatJackDurham

Okay, if we are all being honest, I will admit, the last hundred and fifty miles did feel a little "different" towing my wagon. 

But, hey! It's official! I have a "herd" now!

The new to me 416-8, about 1987 vintage, was a little more worse for wear than I had counted on. The seller sort of recognized that and kicked back $100 for fix up. So I got the tractor, deck and dozer for $500. The engine was hard starting and needed half choke to run, but I am thinking that is just a dirty carb. It DID run smoothly, with a throaty twin cylinder growl! I am stoked for the manual transmission, to pull my fat bum up the hill with no complaining. The GT-14 hydraulics just didn't seem up to snuff. 

The deck purred very smoothly, and had no vibrations or rattles. Now that I see how the Attach-a-matic system works, I might be able to adapt it to the GT-14 if I don't buy a deck for it.

The tires are shite, though, leaky, and don't set well on the rims. And there is electric gremlins, loose wires that sometimes keep it from starting. And, just like the GT-14, there are no brakes. There are supposed to be, but there aren't.

So, I am optimistic, but a little disappointed it's not as turn-key as I wanted. It will be a race to see which one I can get ready for the spring for mowing.

Man, I love the sound of that engine.......

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7181.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG

• Like 6

Wishin4a416

Nice haul. But if its a twin, its not an 87. Its newer. Good Luck!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Best of luck, a few more pictures would help.

Glenn

• Like 2

Sodaking27

Congratulations on the new addition.

• Like 2

FatJackDurham
1 hour ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Nice haul. But if its a twin, its not an 87. Its newer. Good Luck!

Hmm... You are right.It's an '89.

1 hour ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Best of luck, a few more pictures would help.

Glenn

I will, Glenn. Today, I drove a total of 8 hours to get it, and I am fighting an oncoming cold, and I had to rearrange my garage a little to store it. I am beat.

Old_rider is selling me an ignition switch. When I get it, I'll pull both tractors out in the light and photo them better.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, FatJackDurham said:

Hmm... You are right.It's an '89.

I will, Glenn. Today, I drove a total of 8 hours to get it, and I am fighting an oncoming cold, and I had to rearrange my garage a little to store it. I am beat.

Old_rider is selling me an ignition switch. When I get it, I'll pull both tractors out in the light and photo them better.

Thanks a million, don't rush on my account, I was just asking. Get your strength back, a cold will beat you up.

Glenn

• Like 1