cod

lawn drag

cod

Looking for some ideas or suggestions to flatten lumps of compost that I spread over my lawn instead of fertilizer.  I've thought of getting a piece of chain link fence, tossing a couple of cement blocks on it for weight and using that as a drag to break the compost down so it doesn't smother the grass underneath.  I've thought about a spring harrow of the disk harrow but I don't think they'd work on a lawn.

As always any advice is appreciated.

Cod

Tankman

I do drag a 4 ft square of iron fence at times but, my 4 ft wide spring tooth dethatcher does a great job. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Drag the wrought iron fence most always only on my stone driveways. I don't think dragging fencing would do much on the lawn.

The dethatcher does a great job without weights but, thinking I might add a couple of cinder blocks just to see what that does. :icecream:

image.thumb.jpeg.350419800c35dd2a128b081865bac761.jpeg

• Like 4

Hacksawhero123

I was on a job recently for a new golf course. The "pros" were dragging cyclone fencing with a railroad tie tied across the end of it. It worked well. 

Mark 

• Like 1

953 nut

I have used a 6' X 4' piece of chain link with three 4' 4X4s (front, middle and rear) attached to smooth out an area I was planting, then spread the grass seed and went over it again to bury the seeds. It broke the little lumps up and didn't leave any trenches.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

@953 nut, looks like Northern Tool stole your idea, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170326-154120.png

953 nut
58 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Northern Tool stole your idea

I KNEW I should have patented that thing!    :ychain:

• Like 3

pfrederi

we used that back in 1966 to drag the ball fields and other athletic area (track) when i worked summers for the school district. ( we pulled it by hand)  

They had the coolest Toro industrial lawn mower.  Ir had 6 or 7 gang reel mowers that could be picked up so Tiny (the sole operator) could drive it between the schools

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Tankman
On 3/26/2017 at 3:42 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

@953 nut, looks like Northern Tool stole your idea, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170326-154120.png

They stole the idea from their local Little League! :ROTF:

cod

Thanks Gents!  Never heard of a drag harrow but now I've got something else to root around for.

Cod