Huntemcd

Charging problem.

Huntemcd

On my raider 8 I have been having to jump it every time. I charged he batter and it started on its own then about a half hour of working it I shut it off then hit the key again and it was dead. My volt meter isn't moving at all. It was just working over the winter. Could the volt meter be bad or could it be the stator. Any ideas would be helpful. 

jay bee

Don't overlook the obvious.  Check ALL connections first.

Jim

• Like 1

Huntemcd
2 minutes ago, jay bee said:

Don't overlook the obvious.  Check ALL connections first.

Jim

I have already done that and they are all tight. The ones on the volt meter look a little coroaded would that affect it. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

This may help.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, Huntemcd said:

On my raider 8 I have been having to jump it every time. I charged he batter and it started on its own then about a half hour of working it I shut it off then hit the key again and it was dead. My volt meter isn't moving at all. It was just working over the winter. Could the volt meter be bad or could it be the stator. Any ideas would be helpful. 

If you down load the above wiring diagram and you have a volt Ohm meter, we can help you locate the problem.

• Like 1

pfrederi

You said your Volt meter wasn't moving at all....Your tractor came with an ammeter, was it swapped out??

Huntemcd
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

You said your Volt meter wasn't moving at all....Your tractor came with an ammeter, was it swapped out??

Well I just called it a colt meter because I didn't know exactly what it was. I swapped it out about 4 years ago. Some of the connectors on the regulator are melted a little and one on the meter is melted a little. 

pfrederi
1 minute ago, Huntemcd said:

Well I just called it a colt meter because I didn't know exactly what it was. I swapped it out about 4 years ago. Some of the connectors on the regulator are melted a little and one on the meter is melted a little. 

It is significant to be sure which kind of meter it is as they are wired completely differently.  A volt meter would have the needle to the far left when turned off and an ammeter the needle should be in the center when off.  Burned terminals on the meter and regulator will cause issues.

Do you have a multimeter to do testing with???

• Like 2

Huntemcd

It is an ammeter then. And yes I do 

28 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

It is significant to be sure which kind of meter it is as they are wired completely differently.  A volt meter would have the needle to the far left when turned off and an ammeter the needle should be in the center when off.  Burned terminals on the meter and regulator will cause issues.

Do you have a multimeter to do testing with???

pfrederi

Take a voltage reading on you battery engine off   should be 12.6 if battery is fully charged

Start tractor let it run a couple of minutes take another voltage reading across you battery...Should be around 14v.

If not ten shut it down there are three wires on your regulator. One is probably orange and goes to the ignition switch.  The other two are probably white and come from the engine.  Trace them toward the engine until you find a connector.  Unhook it.  Set your multimeter to AC voltage and put the probes into the connector on the engine side. start her up and bring her up to at least half  2/3 throttle.  Should get and AC voltage reading over 30.  If you do then the regulator (or its melted connectors) are the problem. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:      Be sure the connections to the regulator are clean and tight. Unbolt it and clean the mounting point to be sure it is well grounded and tighten it well. Your system will work fine without an amp meter; since it is a part of the problem just remove the two wires from it and bolt them together, then tape it up. 

• Like 2

Huntemcd
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:      Be sure the connections to the regulator are clean and tight. Unbolt it and clean the mounting point to be sure it is well grounded and tighten it well. Your system will work fine without an amp meter; since it is a part of the problem just remove the two wires from it and bolt them together, then tape it up. 

For some reason now my ammeter is working 

953 nut
54 minutes ago, Huntemcd said:

my ammeter is working

:woohoo:                Did you clean and tighten the connections?

Huntemcd
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:                Did you clean and tighten the connections?

Nope nothing. Just started it and I ran it for about a half hour and it started right back up. I have no clue what was going on. 

953 nut
1 minute ago, Huntemcd said:

have no clue what was going on.

That has to be the worst way for a problem to be resolved; never know when it will crop up again and won't know what to do when it happens.  Oh well, at least you can go get some seat time.

pfrederi

Dirty, loose, burned connections will work sometimes...just not when it is essential.  You say the ammeter is working what i sit showing after it has run for a few minutes.