carlosking450

Valves k161

carlosking450

Good night from Spain, I have to change the valves of my k161, I would like to know if all the valves for this model are the same or there are several references. My model does not have screw adjustment of clearance and I know that there are other models that if they carry.
I would also like to know if the valve seats are dismantled and sold or you have to mechanize the block to renew the seat. Thank you!

stevasaurus

Hi Carlos...check out these links...one for the exhaust and one for the intake valves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-K141-K161-K181-6HP-7-HP-8HP-Cast-Iron-Engine-Intake-Valve-230582S-/271967055225?hash=item3f527fed79:g:IhUAAOSw9N1V29xa

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-K141-K161-K181-6HP-7-HP-8HP-Cast-Iron-Engine-Exhaust-Valve-230710S-/272600442427?hash=item3f7840a63b:g:gukAAOSwhQhY0ogK

The valves are the same for the engines listed.  They come ground for your valve seats...if your valve seats are or have been ground recently.  You will still need to lap them to seat correctly.  To get the gap correct, you need to grind the end of the valve...that is the adjustment.  I used a knife sharpening stone and a file to sneak up on the tolerance.  As far as your valve seats.  I would let a machine shop determine that you need that and let them do it.   Hope that helps...and if any of this information is not correct...please correct it.  :)

• Like 3

Anglo Traction
20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I would let a machine shop determine that you need that and let them do it.   Hope that helps...and if any of this information is not correct...please correct it.  :)

I wouldn't dare correct Sir!.....all good to me:thumbs:.

Only to say to Carlos.... if the Exhaust Valve Seat is damaged or badly worn,, they can be replaced. the procedure is shown in the Kohler K series Manual and here is a link to a listing- EXHAUST VALVE Seat Insert 

Regards

• Like 1

carlosking450

Hello again, then the adjustment between the valve and the pusher is made by eating the valve stem?
I will surely buy the valves and try to make the seat through the emery paste if it is okay I will not change the seats.
I thank you for your patience with the language and your help.

• Like 1

Anglo Traction
22 minutes ago, carlosking450 said:

Hello again, then the adjustment between the valve and the pusher is made by eating the valve stem?
I will surely buy the valves and try to make the seat through the emery paste if it is okay I will not change the seats.
I thank you for your patience with the language and your help.

No problem Carlos you are ok.  (is made by eating   molienda?/grinding the valve stem ends?) :thumbs:. Yes that is correct.

Yes, hoping only emery paste will make the Valve Seats good for you. 

Regards

stevasaurus

It does not take much to grind the valves Carlos.  When you do the exhaust valve, make sure the ACR is not holding the value up a little.  I turned the cam just past the ACR to get the correct gap.  :think:

carlosking450

WHAT IS THE ACR?

rmaynard

Automatic Compression Release. Older K-161's don't have it. Newer ones do. It causes the exhaust valve to remain slightly open until the engine reaches 300 RPM for easier starting.

By older, I mean my 701 (1961) does not have it, but the next year (1962), the 702 did.

• Like 1

carlosking450

Good evening, my kholer must be of the oldest since it has gas pump by vacuum and it does not have any system of decompression, nor does it have system of regulation of slack valves.
Thank you very much

I would like to know the serial number of my engine but it does not have any identification plate

stevasaurus

Do you have the Kohler Manual Carlos??  It has a section on the ACR.  You can find it in the Manuals / Engines Section.  I would think if you do not have the ACR, you would have the 2 piece cam shaft.  I was just not wanting you to get caught in a situation and have to tear it back down and get another valve.  :think:

Kohler_Guide_To_Engine_Rebuilding_19890900.pdf

carlosking450

Have or do not have ACR valves are all the same, right?

I did not have that manual, thank you very much for the help I receive

• Like 2

stevasaurus

As far as the length...yes the valves are the same length.  It is the tappets that are a different length if you have the ACR.  Do you have a 2 piece cam shaft?? 

Edited by stevasaurus

carlosking450

I would have to look at it, this weekend I will look at it

stevasaurus

Here are the 2 choices of the cams.  The first one has the ACR...the stuff for that is on the right of the cam gear.

DSCF8647.JPG

Here is the other option that advances the gap in the points to mainly do the same thing that ACR does.  This is on the left side of the cam gear  This is the 2 piece cam shaft.  This is automatic Spark Advance.

20160305_111856.jpg

Camshaft WH.JPG

Camshaft compare.jpg

If you have the second one...your tappets are the same length and you do not have to worry about the ACR holding up the exhaust valve when grinding the valve clearance.

Here is the good manual...

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

carlosking450

emjCA8V.jpg

Good night at the end uncover the bottom lid and I saw that it does not have ACR.

• Like 1