Kerry67

Thoughts on a Charger 12

Kerry67

So, I decided against the b-165, what are thoughts on a Charger 12?  I know nothing so I am trusting you guys knowledge.  just looking for a project that would be fun.....

• Like 1

pfrederi

I have 4 Charger/Electros. (Electros were a fancier Charger) They are excellent tractors.  Two of mine just cleaned up after a record snowfall (26-28 inches) one plow one with a blower..  Not bad for 45+year old machines.

Somethings to look for..

If it is running get it warmed up then put it up against an immovable object and see if will dig holes with the rear wheels.  Sundstrand hydros are excellent units if maintained...They do not like debris on the hydro system.  The parking brakes are internal and if people used them to stop the tractor they get ground down releasing metal shavings that can cause issues.  There are several thread here about how to renovator a worn sundstrand hdro if you do not mind a project.

If it doesn't run you can't really test the hydro and the value declines.

Most of them came with Kohler 12 hp engines which are very realiabel and easy to get parts for.  One exception is the ignition system used on some models was an early electronic ignition (called Breakerless).  If it fails it is very expensive to get triggers and coils.  You can however fairly easily replace it with a battery/ points system.

Charger 10s came with Tecumseh 10 hp motors.  They also used a solid state ignition system that is also very expensive to fix.  A lot of people do not like the Techys...i am very happy with mine.

• Like 3

charging10

I have a 72 charger10 automatic I use a moldboard plow, disc, grader blade, it performs flawlessly.

Sarge

Charger 12 is a great machine if someone hasn't destroyed the Sundstrand transmission/pump . I got one pretty cheap and restored it for a birthday present to a brother in law - runs excellent and the limited slip rear axle is a beast . A little inspiration -

58d6725776aa7_Randys68Charger12.jpg.31468542758588cf257ac8006d5c39fb.jpg

Sarge

• Like 2

Tankman

Charger 12? Great Horse!

The Sarge is always right! 10/4!

Edited by Tankman

stevasaurus

the choice is about 3000% better then that B horse you were looking at.  You have already come a long way.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

formariz

Quoting a Red Square member years ago " Love looking over that long hood".