G-Sarge

Newb Needs Advice on C-120

G-Sarge

20170324_114721.thumb.jpg.d7b352e8136d900aa4c4fa3798790f7c.jpgHello to All!

I just acquired a Wheel Horse 800 Special 3-speed with what looks to be the original Kohler motor.  As you can see in the photos, it was used as a 'racing mower' in it's later days.  I love my 'toys' as much as anyone and have more than I can stay on top of, so I'm looking for advice about an estimated value as-is for it and once I have an idea, then I will gladly offer it up for sale here where it will be most appreciated, instead of putting it up for sale anywhere else.  The motor turns freely and has compression and was said to be running when stored under a tarp two years ago and the transmission shifts20170324_114721.thumb.jpg.d7b352e8136d900aa4c4fa3798790f7c.jpgin and out of the gears, so it seems to be in operating condition too.  I'm asking for honest opinions on it's value running and not running, so I have a starting point.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and information provided.

20170324_114333.jpg

20170324_114425.jpg

20170324_114712.jpg

Edited by G-Sarge

varosd

love the Chevy Bowtie!

• Like 2

pfrederi

Being a retired racer/puller to me means the engine is probably shot and the tranny abused. 

• Like 2

G-Sarge
14 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Being a retired racer/puller to me means the engine is probably shot and the tranny abused. 

OK, maybe so.  That's why I was honest in the description and posted the photos.  So, does that mean the frame, body  and anything else on it is 'worthless' because of it's history?  To be honest, I came here looking for advise, not random condescending comments.  If this is the best information I can get here, then I'll simply put it up for sale elsewhere, and if that doesn't work, then I'll sell it for scrap.

pfrederi
19 minutes ago, G-Sarge said:

OK, maybe so.  That's why I was honest in the description and posted the photos.  So, does that mean the frame, body  and anything else on it is 'worthless' because of it's history?  To be honest, I came here looking for advise, not random condescending comments.  If this is the best information I can get here, then I'll simply put it up for sale elsewhere, and if that doesn't work, then I'll sell it for scrap.

I didn't mean to be condescending sorry. I was expressing my opinion which is part of what you asked for.. Those factors limit the value, to me anyway.  . 

• Like 2

HorseFixer

That Tractor looks to me to be very VALUABLE The paint job is like a Picaso To the right NASCAR Dale JR. FAN you could probably get upwards of $150.00 for it.  B)

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 5

Adams94

I would say 100-150 tops,  IMO.:twocents-02cents::WRS:

• Like 2

George Washington

to the pro's on here - has the rear-end/hitch been modified? That doesn't look like a WH set up to me - I think your best bet for the money would be to part it out but that's just my opinion.

• Like 2

Adams94
11 minutes ago, George Washington said:

to the pro's on here - has the rear-end/hitch been modified? That doesn't look like a WH set up to me - I think your best bet for the money would be to part it out but that's just my opinion.

Yea didn't catch the rear hitch the first time but I never seen anything like that.   C120's are not rare at all, can get them all day long for 400-500 so 150 for this would be plenty.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

WHX??

Bet it would be fun for the kids to blow around on...maybe throw some flames on!  Id say 100-150.

:WRS: G Sarge

• Like 2

HorseFixer
9 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Bet it would be fun for the kids to blow around on...maybe throw some flames on!  Id say 100-150.

Yeah what WHX9 said. Welcome to the MADNESS!

• Like 1

Lee1977

Don't think it is a C-120, looks to have a 4 speed transmission don't see a high/low shiftier.

• Like 2

G-Sarge
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I didn't mean to be condescending sorry. I was expressing my opinion which is part of what you asked for.. Those factors limit the value, to me anyway.  . 

Fair enough.  I guess since I didn't get any idea of existing value from you, I assumed you considered it to be of zero value.  Sorry and thanks.

2 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

That Tractor looks to me to be very VALUABLE The paint job is like a Picaso To the right NASCAR Dale JR. FAN you could probably get upwards of $150.00 for it.  B)

Personally, I have never liked NASCAR at all, or Chevy's either for that matter, but everything can be repainted.

1 hour ago, Adams94 said:

I would say 100-150 tops,  IMO.:twocents-02cents::WRS:

Thank you for your honesty.  Since you kept it straightforward without bias, do you recommend I offer it up for sale on the classified section of this forum?

1 hour ago, George Washington said:

Thanks, I might end up doing just that.

1 hour ago, WHX9 said:

No kids here, but thanks for the valuation.

G-Sarge
36 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Don't think it is a C-120, looks to have a 4 speed transmission don't see a high/low shiftier.

Good point.  I thought the other lever was a range selector.  I just pulled on it to find it is the tilt-lock for the seat/fender tray.  I will adjust my info accordingly.  Thanks!

Edited by G-Sarge

KC9KAS

@G-Sarge :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I am sorry if your 1st experience here wasn't as rewarding as you may have expected.

The people on here really are friendly and very helpful.

A couple of questions that really rub most of us raw are, and in no particular order:

What color to paint my Wheel Horse?

What color are the wheels?

What is this tractor worth?

What oil is used on the hydros?

And on and on and on....

We have a very good "search" function that most fail to see or use and just about every question that has been asked 1 to 1000 times has been answered!

Our "manuals" section is also very good and can help someone wanting to make repairs or if buying something, help you decide what might be missing on your "prospective" purchase.

I hope you find a good Wheel Horse to work and play with and visit us often.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

G-Sarge...welcome to Red Square.  :)  The members above have given you their honest opinion...and here is why.  I don't see the hi/low shift lever in those pictures, which tells me it is a 3 or 4 speed.  It was painted with a mop (or just as bad) and would take tons of work to get it back to health...and that is what this site is about.  It would help if you took the chip off your shoulder and see if it at least ran.  I would say it is worth next to nothing without knowing if it runs.  It may be worth $100 if it does run.  Check the oil in the trans and see if it has water in it.  You just come in here with a real piece of junk and expect honest opinions, and then get your feathers ruffled when you get honest opinions.  Sorry, maybe step back and try again sir.  :think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 6

gwest_ca

Transmission does not look like a cast iron Uni-drive this type of tractor originally had.

Kohler built the engine spec 47454b in 1972 for Dunbar Manufacturing.

See if there is an ID plate up high under the dash housing.

Garry

• Like 1

G-Sarge

OK, thanks for everyone's opinions here.  I'll try to fire up the motor and check the transmission for any water in the oil, and then sell it accordingly based on what I find. 

• Like 1

HorseFixer

G-Sarge As I said before find a NASCAR Dale Jr. Fan they buy anything. Did Picasso use a MOP BRUSH? :think:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You know, it might help if you give us the story about how you came to have this...that would go a long way here.  :)

Excellent eye @gwest_ca, you are correct.  That is not a Wheel Horse transmission.  The shallow side would be on the right and in the picture the shallow side is on the left.  :think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

G-Sarge
1 minute ago, HorseFixer said:

G-Sarge As I said before find a NASCAR Dale Jr. Fan they buy anything. Did Picasso use a MOP BRUSH? :think:

No idea about the history of this thing.  It was in a neighbor's yard along with a go-cart and I inquired about them, to which they said "They are yours for free and I'd be happy to see them gone".

3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

You know, it might help if you give us the story about how you came to have this...that would go a long way here.  :)

It was free for the taking along with a go-cart in my neighbor's yard, so I figured "what the heck"!

• Like 1

HorseFixer
3 minutes ago, G-Sarge said:

No idea about the history of this thing.  It was in a neighbor's yard along with a go-cart and I inquired about them, to which they said "They are yours for free and I'd be happy to see them gone".

Some people use stuff like this as Yard Art normally a lil older stuff but ya never know That Dale JR Fan that has just had the right amount of ROCK -N- RYE Just might slip you a few EXTRA SCHECKLES!

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 3

G-Sarge
14 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

G-Sarge...welcome to Red Square.  :)  The members above have given you their honest opinion...and here is why.  I don't see the hi/low shift lever in those pictures, which tells me it is a 3 or 4 speed.  It was painted with a mop (or just as bad) and would take tons of work to get it back to health...and that is what this site is about.  It would help if you took the chip off your shoulder and see if it at least ran.  I would say it is worth next to nothing without knowing if it runs.  It may be worth $100 if it does run.  Check the oil in the trans and see if it has water in it.  You just come in here with a real piece of junk and expect honest opinions, and then get your feathers ruffled when you get honest opinions.  Sorry, maybe step back and try again sir.  :think:

Sorry I got off on the wrong foot. No chip on the should here at all.  I just fired back at the first comment prematurely, (and have since apologized) because it wasn't helpful, nor did it answer my question.  I got the thing for free, so any value is good with me.  It is such a 'tank', that the worst case scenario is that it is worth something just for it's weight in scrap.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Free is good!!  See what you can do with it and post back here and let us know.  I would bet it has a Mom somewhere to give it some love.  :)

• Like 1

gwest_ca

It may have been a 1971 800 Special model 1-0150 or a 1974 A-90 Special model 2-4300.

Garry

• Like 3