G-Sarge

Newb Needs Advice on C-120

G-Sarge
7 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

It may have been a 1971 800 Special model 1-0150 or a 1974 A-90 Special model 2-4300.

Garry

So, now that I have no idea what the original transmission was, is there any way to know what the actual model number and year is?

4 hours ago, varosd said:

love the Chevy Bowtie!

I'll sell you the bowtie for $100.00, and you can have the tractor for free!

Edited by G-Sarge
  • Like 3

G-Sarge

I noticed the old Kohler has a label on it saying it has a 15 amp alternator.  Does that also mean that I will have to have a battery connected to start it even if I attempt to manually start it with a pull rope?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sarge, you need to figure out if you can get this thing running first.  I have a feeling that it did run with that transmission.  So, don't worry about changing out the trans.  I would like to see some more pictures of the trans if you can get them, might be able to identify it.  Don't put much (if any) money in it yet.  Check the gas tank, hose, fuel, oil in the engine, points, spark, plug...all the things that count that you can do for free.  A little time spent with no money is well worth the time if this horse runs.  Let's see some pictures of the go-cart. :handgestures-thumbupright:  That could give us an idea of the expertise that was involved in this horse...plus, I would like to see what you got for free there.  Hope that helps...and welcome to RS.  :)

I'm not really sure about your battery question.  Somebody will know. 

• Like 1

G-Sarge
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Sarge, you need to figure out if you can get this thing running first.  I have a feeling that it did run with that transmission.  So, don't worry about changing out the trans.  I would like to see some more pictures of the trans if you can get them, might be able to identify it.  Don't put much (if any) money in it yet.  Check the gas tank, hose, fuel, oil in the engine, points, spark, plug...all the things that count that you can do for free.  A little time spent with no money is well worth the time if this horse runs.  Let's see some pictures of the go-cart. :handgestures-thumbupright:  That could give us an idea of the expertise that was involved in this horse...plus, I would like to see what you got for free there.  Hope that helps...and welcome to RS.  :)

Thanks.  I have no plan to put any money in it at all, other than maybe a spark plug and fresh gas.  The go-cart is what I was after in the first place and the neighbor asked me to take the tractor too, so I had to oblige.  The go-cart is in surprisingly good shape and I have already got the motor on it to start, so it should be up and running for under $250 bucks including a new carb, tires, cables and a few other doo-dads, so this is a 'win' already.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Excellent, you just told me that you kind of know what you are doing around small engines.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  You should not have any problem selling the horse...if it runs...because of where you live.  If the trans was a Wheel Horse, the trans could be worth $75 to $150 with no water and in good shape.  It might be worth it to try to identify the trans you have.  Would need some good pictures of all sides to go there.  Let us know.  :)

It was a pleasure going back and forth with you.

• Like 1

G-Sarge
33 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

It may have been a 1971 800 Special model 1-0150 or a 1974 A-90 Special model 2-4300.

Garry

Thanks for the links to the files.  So, do you think the 3-speed transmission is correct if my WH is an 800 Special instead of what I thought was a C-120?  If so, then I will adjust my listing accordingly.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an ID plate on it anywhere.

stevasaurus

It is not a Wheel Horse Transmission.   The shallow side is always on the right side of the horse.  Try to take some really good pictures of that trans from different angles...tip the seat...take off the belt guard.  I do not think you would have to take off the tires.  There should be some casting marks on it somewhere...those are up by the shifter on Wheel Horse transmissions.  :)

• Like 1

G-Sarge
14 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It is not a Wheel Horse Transmission.   The shallow side is always on the right side of the horse.  Try to take some really good pictures of that trans from different angles...tip the seat...take off the belt guard.  I do not think you would have to take off the tires.  There should be some casting marks on it somewhere...those are up by the shifter on Wheel Horse transmissions.  :)

OK, will do.  Thanks!

• Like 1

gwest_ca
1 hour ago, G-Sarge said:

I noticed the old Kohler has a label on it saying it has a 15 amp alternator.  Does that also mean that I will have to have a battery connected to start it even if I attempt to manually start it with a pull rope?

If it has battery ignition you need to power the (+) terminal on the coil and ground the chassis to the battery (-).

The charging system will not power the ignition.

It should pull start then. If no spark clean the ignition point contacts.

Garry

• Like 2

N3PUY

I think it is an "800 Special".    3-speed transaxle .... NOT a Uni-Drive.   The stub at the front of the frame is for the deck pulley.

IMG_5658.JPG.ea0b819104c71f1ba2391bb9142165dd.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG.fe201fc0e12350e79d00999cdf18b121.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG.d3c746371db38112c613431c1d1eb3f6.JPG

• Like 3

G-Sarge
6 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

If it has battery ignition you need to power the (+) terminal on the coil and ground the chassis to the battery (-).

The charging system will not power the ignition.

It should pull start then. If no spark clean the ignition point contacts.

Garry

Thanks!

3 hours ago, N3PUY said:

I think it is an "800 Special".    3-speed transaxle .... NOT a Uni-Drive.   The stub at the front of the frame is for the deck pulley.

IMG_5658.JPG.ea0b819104c71f1ba2391bb9142165dd.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG.fe201fc0e12350e79d00999cdf18b121.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG.d3c746371db38112c613431c1d1eb3f6.JPG

YEP, YOU NAILED IT!  I went out before it got dark and took detailed photos of the transaxle  and it is exactly like that.  I'll post them tomorrow.  The rear frame and hitch are identical too.  I'm certainly learning some good stuff here (and I believe some others are too...)  Thanks!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

AMC RULES
15 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I would bet it has a Mom somewhere to give it some love.  :)

:rolleyes:  Really...Moms do that???  :think:

68143.gif.9ca4cb3dae150b0b4084e08f24826c02.gifhdr-logo-100b.png.d8302e51c157c9cdd398ae3120bc4020.png

• Like 1

wildman
18 hours ago, George Washington said:

to the pro's on here - has the rear-end/hitch been modified? That doesn't look like a WH set up to me - I think your best bet for the money would be to part it out but that's just my opinion.

Factory hitch, that rig came with a tecumseh peerless 2300

I would say 800 special the A90 was a 1974 model only with late 60's hood

• Like 3

T-Mo
11 minutes ago, wildman said:

Factory hitch, that rig came with a tecumseh peerless 2300

I would say 800 special the A90 was a 1974 model only with late 60's hood

I agree, it looks like a Peerless 2300 series transmission to me also. I have seen a few of those on John Deere 110/112 and the older 200 series.

G-Sarge

OK Fellas, thanks for knocking your heads together on this jalopy!  Now that you have, and it looks like the general consensus says its an 800 special with Peerless transmission from the early 70s, (unless I'm completely confused), I have a few more questions: 

#1:  Is it 'stock' or not, and if stock AND I get it running and the transmission doesn't show signs of water intrusion and works correctly, then is the value still at $100-$150?  

#2:  If it isn't a 'stock' transmission and it is one that is more suitable for high-speed racing, then do you think it would be more valuable to the mower racing folks? (If it isn't stock, then that transmission lines up and bolts up like it was made for the tractor)

Here are some close-ups of the transmission.

Thanks again for all the help and info!

20170324_184628.jpg

20170324_184637.jpg

20170324_184736.jpg

20170324_184749.jpg

20170324_184806.jpg

20170324_184826.jpg

Edited by G-Sarge
  • Like 1

N3PUY

I sold this running one for $100.  And included an extra transmission.  The original motor is 8HP.

I say the condition yours is in maybe $50.

58d68edbd5754_IMG_5939(800x600).jpg.2857d24a7074ce1c190df0ac66b83a7c.jpg

58d68ef6c21f8_IMG_5940(800x600).jpg.3b0fdb94a60cff9354930c4b64bab4fc.jpg

• Like 2

T-Mo

Yep, definitely a Peerless 2300 transmission.  Weak spot in those are the shifter fork detent springs, which become weak or break and will allow the transmission to locked into one gear.  Easy fix, and cheap, about $12 for the springs and detent balls, and a few more $ for a gasket.  You have to drop the transmission and split it open, just be sure the half with the shifter is on the bottom.  If not the gears will fall out and you have a mess to figure out.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Nobody actually said it, but that trans is stock to that horse.  Thanks for all those pictures.  I did not spot any leaks...that is a good sign.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Noticed the available info on both models shows the transmission as a model 1400 Peerless and the only two models to use it. Is the 2300 similar?

Garry

• Like 1

T-Mo
12 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Noticed the available info on both models shows the transmission as a model 1400 Peerless and the only two models to use it. Is the 2300 similar?

Garry

Yes.  Pretty identical, I believe, at least from quick observation.

• Like 1