Kerry67

Hopefully picking up Wheel Horse

Kerry67

Finally found one in Arizona.  Not quite as old as I was hoping but it should be fun......B-165, and idea of the year?  Would like to put bigger rear wheels, etc.... Thoughts?

WH1.jpg

Wh2.jpg

stevasaurus

I'm not trying to talk you out of that, but I hope you are getting it for not much more then free.  You will be putting quite a bit of money back into it...and in the end...it is still a vertical shaft horse.  It is never going to be worth or be able to do what a horizontal shaft horse will do.  It also looks like it has been parted out to a point, and I don't think it is going to be easy finding parts for that style.  If that horse is what you are looking for and you know what you are getting into...and accept the challenge, then you are going to save a horse.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  We can help as much as possible and we would surely like to see how you progress. 

Looks like they were made from 1980 to 1984...maybe later.  They were either a 5 speed manual (Peerless) or an automatic (Eaton).  They used a 16hp Briggs for power.  We can nail it down if you find a model #...it would look something like 02-16BE01 or 02-16BP04.  The "B" is for Briggs...the "E" or "P" is for Eaton or Peerless.  I'd be more inclined to walk away if the transmission is the Eaton automatic because...it may be a long time before you find out if the auto is any good.  :think:

• Like 5

BOB ELLISON

Built 1980-1985 came with a briggs and stratton engine. This is more of a light duty tractor because of the transmission. Peerless 801 or a Eaton 700. Not to say it didn't have the power with the 16hp briggs . I like the briggs engines.

• Like 2

T-Mo

It's a Wheel Horse, but it's strictly a lawn tractor, made basically for mowing the lawn and maybe light snow duty.  As mentioned above, it looks like it's been picked apart for parts and it may be hard, especially in Arizona since you're having a hard time finding complete Wheel Horses, of finding parts.  If it was me, I think I would pass and keep looking for a horizontal shaft Wheel Horse.

• Like 4

HorseFixer
30 minutes ago, Kerry67 said:

Yeah, I decided to pass after hearing from you guys here and on another site.  I will wait until I find the right one....

Smart Move!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Amcwheel85

:text-yeahthat: there was nothing left of that machine! If I can.. what were they asking for it? 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
39 minutes ago, Kerry67 said:

Yeah, I decided to pass after hearing from you guys here and on another site.  I will wait until I find the right one....

Smart move, you will find one eventually. 

Glenn

stevasaurus

Hey Kerry...welcome to Red Square.  That is the best move.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  You will find something...I'm sure.  :)

KC9KAS
2 hours ago, Kerry67 said:

Wise decision!

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Kerry67
2 hours ago, Amcwheel85 said:

:text-yeahthat: there was nothing left of that machine! If I can.. what were they asking for it? 

$25

Sparky
2 hours ago, Kerry67 said:

$25

Overpriced by $24 if you ask me :angry-nono: !

You may have to bite the bullet and pay shipping costs. Is there a Fastenall near you? A few guys here swear by their shipping for ease and low cost. 

Mike......

gregg'shorses

" and on another site"  you mean to tell me there is another one......:happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:WRS:

Retired Wrencher

Kerry67   :WRS:   As you obviously know they are hard to find in Az. They never shipped west of the Mississippi river. If you can take a vacation to Pennsylvanian this summer for the big show. you will find something there that you will  like. Just my :twocents-02cents:.

wildman
20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm not trying to talk you out of that, but I hope you are getting it for not much more then free.  You will be putting quite a bit of money back into it...and in the end...it is still a vertical shaft horse.  It is never going to be worth or be able to do what a horizontal shaft horse will do.  It also looks like it has been parted out to a point, and I don't think it is going to be easy finding parts for that style.  If that horse is what you are looking for and you know what you are getting into...and accept the challenge, then you are going to save a horse.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  We can help as much as possible and we would surely like to see how you progress. 

Looks like they were made from 1980 to 1984...maybe later.  They were either a 5 speed manual (Peerless) or an automatic (Eaton).  They used a 16hp Briggs for power.  We can nail it down if you find a model #...it would look something like 02-16BE01 or 02-16BP04.  The "B" is for Briggs...the "E" or "P" is for Eaton or Peerless.  I'd be more inclined to walk away if the transmission is the Eaton automatic because...it may be a long time before you find out if the auto is any good.  :think:

I have to agree with Stevasaurus on this one  if the engine was toast most likely that 5 speed peerless is also that 5 speed is getting pretty rare 3rd and 4th gear will be the first to go

ericj

everybody assumes the motor was pulled becuase it was bad,,,, might have been pulled becuase the tranny was bad and motor swapped to another machine.

eric j

Retired Wrencher
22 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Thanks Craig.