dewdew

What is the best all around machine

dewdew

I'm looking for a horse that is a good snow plower and a good tiller . What do you guys think? Hydro? More expensive more problems? I like black hoods. And round hoods I don't want to break the bank eaither. What's the best model for me? My driveway is 18'x65' and my garden is 200' x 40'.

• Like 2

Sparky

If it's a black hood you want then the C-165 would be the best choice. I think the 8 speed is the preferred tranny for tilling, I've read that the tiller will push the hydro's. The C-175 might have a bit more power than the 16 single but the Kohler 17 twins used then are not great motors.

Mike....

• Like 5

lynnmor

With a hydro you will be constantly trying to regulate speed with little success.

• Like 2

dewdew

Regulating speed would be with both correct?

Adams94

Never ran a tiller but I love my hydros and also the 8 speeds.   I would suggest a c160 8 speed

• Like 2

stevebo

IMO the best all around machine is a 312-8 

• Like 5

Tankman

I prefer my Stallions! Favorite Horses for wo....wo.....WORK?

414-8, 416-8 and my 520-8 can do-it-all! I think my Work Horse can handle the tasks too.

40+ years ago I had an 8 hp 3-speed that also did it all.

A Horse is a Horse of course!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

AJ-Horse.png.56fc0b2c1d66c5707e38c3f8e329f30a.png

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:or a 314-8, You'll have to excuse Sparkeye as it seems he likes to go for the heavy hitters right off the bat...good man Sparkeye! .... Eight speed would be great for tilling & ground engagements  but the H is the cats meow for pushing snow or blowing. Beast advice is get a couple of :wh:... for  any occasion...got all the bases covered. Sorry Dew but you got a double edged sword ther  what with all our addictions.

That's no fair Tank you posted before I did ....you obviously got a problem! :ychain:

• Like 4

Tankman
7 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

That's no fair Tank you posted before I did ....you obviously got a problem! :ychain:

I am suffering from Wheel Horse Addiction (WHA). Since the mid 70's!

That's one of my sons, he now has WHA too. Now Grandsons are also infected with WHA.

My first Horse, 8 hp, turned a lot of earth.

My neighbors couldn't believe how well the Horse performed! One neighbor once pulled me aside, "When you're out, your boys race the tractors down the road."

I replied, "So?" When I got home, snow plowed, grasses mowed, Parker (or Jackson) sweeper cleaned, lawn dethatched, Horses always groomed. The boys chores and the Ms. too!  :icecream:

• Like 4

HorseFixer

C-160 8 Speed is a good choice. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??

Sorry for taking your post off on a tangent Dew but please understand our problem, most of us would consider our first born as a good swap on a fair :wh: but we are really not that way and we know about being on a budget. We just have a tendency to get carried away on having multiple horses! I think Mike @Sparky hit it first with a C-series in the 12 to 16 HP  black hood category would be a good fit but I would  also have a stout B series as a back....oops here we go again!:lol: 

It really boils down on the hydro or manual thing and what you think you will be using it for most? Tilling ...manual, mowing or blowing hydro...pushing- manual. The compromises are endless and we guess that's why tractors were offered in all the configs they were. Looking at your dimensions I would say you have a larger garden than driveway which is fine so I would go with a manual and deal with shifting when on the driveway with snow. Always more trouble free than a hydro and always much more stouter when push comes to shove. Either way we'd be here to help if (God forbid) it should break! :)

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Any Black Hood.

:twocents-02cents: