petes

Tire, rim width advice

petes

I'm getting ready to do some tire switching and the more I look at the tires on my Bronco, its as if the rim width is smaller than the tires width. What do you think?:think:  The tire is not overpressured.

brnco rear tire ll.JPG

bronco rear tire l.JPG

clueless

Looks copacetic to me. 9.5 inch tire on a 7.0 inch rim, pretty much SOP. 

pfrederi

Rims are always narrower than the tires. 

petes

It just looks strange. Than I wonder if the 23x10.50x12 ag tires I have will work on these rims?

pfrederi

the will work, they will look bulgy and if you inflate them to much only the center of the tread will contact pavement.

petes

I agree. I think I have to look around for different rims. From what I understand I just have to watch the offset. Any suggestions?

pfrederi

WHs used 1-3/8" backset.  Others may clear but you will not be able to use chains.

petes

That would be fine, I don't plan on putting chains on anyway. Thanks

bmsgaffer

Look for rims from a 418C (maybe 418A too?), Work Horse 18xx, 1990 or later 520H, 520HC or any XI model (518xi, 520xi, 520lxi, 522xi, 523dxi) to get the wider 8.5" width rims that will fit your 10.5" wide tire and have correct offset. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tankman
6 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

Look for rims from a 418C (maybe 418A too?), Work Horse 18xx, 1990 or later 520H, 520HC or any XI model (518xi, 520xi, 520lxi, 522xi, 523dxi) to get the wider 8.5" width rims that will fit your 10.5" wide tire and have correct offset. :handgestures-thumbupright:

That'll do the job properly. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Perhaps look on your local Craig's List. The 10'5's were designed for 8-1/2" rims.

Or, if cost isn't a factor, try Xtreme. http://xtrememotorworks.com/Parts Catalog/Rims-Cub-Cadet.html

Edited by Tankman

petes

Thanks, I was thinking about looking tomorrow. The tractor rim list will surely help.:thanks:  Tankman,  I didn't know the 10.5's were designed for the 8.5 rims, thanks for the info.

Sarge

Sidewalls are made to be pulled inward a bit on nearly every tire type made , the 2" less difference is pretty much a standard . If you put a 10.50" tire on a 10" rim - you're gonna have a lot of fun trying to inflate it , not to mention it will look pretty stupid . I see a lot of the younger generation making this mistake with aftermarket wheels on trucks/offroad Jeeps, ect...almost comical until they blow the bead seal and stand there with a dumb look on their face , blocking the trail...

Sarge