jellyghost

Bidding Help?

jellyghost

Can you guys give me some insight on a local tractor auction?  

I was on my way to the viewing today, and I had to choose between a good deed and the auction.  I did the right thing, but I missed the three hour window to kick the tires.  My GT funds have been growing, and I have my eye on this tractor.  It isn't my dream tractor, but it could be pretty useful.

What concerns do you have when looking at photos of this tractor?  Does this model have a way to raise or lower attachments on the rear of the tractor?  Do yo you think it probably has 29x hours or 129x hours on the machine?

If you only had the photos, how much would you gamble on a bid?  

Thank you!  The Auction is at $300 right now, and it closes tomorrow.

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

wh3.jpg

wh4.jpg

wh5.jpg

wh6.jpg

wh7.jpg

wh8.jpg

• Like 3

Amcwheel85

Idk.. does it say if it runs well? If so I may be low but I would do $450-$550 

• Like 3

DennisThornton

If it is as it appears I think $500 would be a bargain and I think more could be justified. I'd rather spend a $1000 on it than something new from a big box store. 

• Like 5

oliver2-44

Hopefully others will confirm this, but the engine block looks like it's painted gray.  Factory engines were red or black. I've read that kohl er factory replacement short blocks and complete replacement factory engines were gray.  It has a tow hitch on the rear. A clevis hitch for rear attachments could be added. it also has a hitch under the rear axle for attachments like a dozer or grader blade.  

• Like 4

Shynon
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

but the engine block looks like it's painted gray.  Factory engines were red or black. I've read that kohl er factory replacement short blocks and complete replacement factory engines were gray.

engine is an Onan, color is correct. Engine looks pretty clean

• Like 5

jellyghost

I don't know if it runs, but I think it probably does.  Is the ignition key on these the same as the ignition on my 78 WH?

• Like 1

WHX??

I'll go against the grain  here Jelly but looking kinda rough to me and past care might be an issue...350 - 400 tops for me if I was in the market but pics can be deceving?  Should have the same 1100 Eaton and rock shaft for attachments as a 520 jus not the bells & whistles on the dash.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

The key should be the same as your '78.     If it runs and you can do a basic test on the hydro tranny and the hyd. lift,  I would pay $5-700.

The deck looks fair with some rust thru Is worth $200.  The axle brackets are $50.

If it doesn't run, and you can't test the hydro, then the risks skyrocket making it a $3-400 crap shoot with a possible part out to recover your investment.

Rear lift hitches (sleeve,slot,clevis) can be had for $100.    Can't believe I opened this hitch name can-o-worms again.

• Like 5

DennisThornton

I'd like to add that I meant that if it was as good as I looked meant that it ran & drove around.  I'd pay way less for a hydro that won't even start. 

And others have noticed things and made good comments, too.  I'd be happy to add it to my herd!

• Like 1

Dennys502

Judging from the rust on top of the hood, muffler, clutch linkage and pulleys along with the deck pulleys its been sitting for quite a while and outside. Probably hasn't been run for quite a while. $500 tops without knowing how it runs.

• Like 3

N3PUY

I purchased a 416-8 last year.  Seller said it runs.  I got him down to $225.  It did run .... on one cylinder! :(

I sold enough engine parts to pay for the tractor and kept the rear ag tires, new front tires and actually 

the whole tractor for parts.  Total $0 . 

So I suggest if it runs make sure it is on 2 cylinders!

• Like 5

T-Mo

It has hydraulic lift, which is a plus if you want to use rear attachments and implements.  But you need a clevis hitch, which you can buy the whole kit for that tractor from one of our vendors here:  http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/

Someone got a bit creative with the seat, by adding some square tubing.  Any Intek key should fit, and you can buy those even at Wally World, and is the same as your '78 WH.  If you want to have the Wheel Horse logo key and key chain, we have a vendor for that also:

The tractor itself looks a bit rough, but mostly surface rust and is just a bit faded.  I've seen a lot worse.

• Like 2

jellyghost

It's important for me to get out of this deal if a unicorn comes along, so resale is kind of important.  This would primarily be a useful tractor, and I don't have a hydro tractor.  My gas can broke a few days ago, so the can adds a little value.

What are axel brackets?

I think I would be happy with a 350-400 risk.  If it runs well, it will seem worth it.  If it doesn't run, expect me back on redsquare asking lots of questions!

If I need to sell it later, I could be richer by two hubcaps and a gas can.

I just confirmed that it is only 292 hours on the meter.

T-Mo

The axle brackets are the ones shown below on the rear axle that would be used to mount the frame of a front snow blade.  I circled it in the picture and the bracket has a them on both sides of the rear axle.  You can just barely see the latch handle on the left side of the axle for that side.

wh3.jpg.5a3e9e52972cf907b9e91ade271b6dd0.jpg

• Like 2

Jerry77
12 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

I just confirmed that it is only 292 hours on the meter

Sure does look awfully rough for only 292 hours.....if you want a GT why are you looking at this?  :twocents-02cents:

BaySide1
22 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Sure does look awfully rough for only 292 hours.....if you want a GT why are you looking at this?  :twocents-02cents:

the face of the dial is twisted so, it could easily be 1292 hours.

Can not see the digit to the left of the 292 in picture

Muffler looks rough to me

Front fins on engine look a bit full of something

seat- looks rough. Is it and it's bracket original?

plow bracket attachment on rear axle is worth $85 any day of the week

ohiofarmer

Look at the deck. In the last picture, there is perforation in the center. I would also almost guarantee that there is worse perforation on the left side at the rear/side corner of the deck based on how they wear.  That deck has cast iron pulleys on the sides which make that an old deck or at least a newer deck with old pulleys. I also think that the shaft length on the older spindles is less , based on measuring my stuff. However, experts on this site could possibly confirm this.  If this deck is a mish mash of parts, you could possibly have the outside blades turning at a different rate than the drive pulley/center blade.

A

9 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I don't know if it runs, but I think it probably does.  Is the ignition key on these the same as the ignition on my 78 WH?

If that tractor does not run, consider that engine as not rebuildable due to the expense of doing so. The key is the standard bell shape.

Jerry77

After thinking about it for awhile, I am going to jump in here again - if you are wanting a tractor like this, then look elsewhere - there are 416H WH tractors in far better shape ( this one looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet) for a few hundred more -don't saddle yourself with a headache..get what you want..( just an old man giving out "oldman advice") :twocents-02cents:

41 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

If that tractor does not run, consider that engine as not rebuildable due to the expense of doing so

• Like 5

clueless
1 hour ago, Jerry77 said:

After thinking about it for awhile, I am going to jump in here again - if you are wanting a tractor like this, then look elsewhere - there are 416H WH tractors in far better shape ( this one looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet) for a few hundred more -don't saddle yourself with a headache..get what you want..( just an old man giving out "oldman advice") :twocents-02cents:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

jellyghost

I am giving Jerry77's advice serious thought.  This isn't a slam dunk deal, and this isn't my dream tractor.

jellyghost

It sold for 485.  I am glad that I didn't go for it. I did purchase two WH hub caps, two back tires with rims, and one front tire with a rim for $45.

• Like 4

WHX??

Now that might have been a good shake Jelly:handgestures-thumbupright:

jellyghost

The guy who bought the Wheel Horse is trying to flip it for a 1,000 on craigslist.  I just offered to buy the small hubcap that is on the tractor to complete my collection.  I think that is an interesting way for this story to end, and I wonder if he will get it.

• Like 1