jellyghost

Lay of the Land in GT Kingdom?

jellyghost

I have been on Redsquare every day for about 5 months.  I am always cruising CL, but I haven't been able to figure out the world of Garden Tractors.  All of my best info is about Wheel Horse Tractors, but there seems to be a world of Gravely, Jacobsen, Simplicity, Bolens, JD, Allis Chalmers, Massey Fergusen, Case/Ingersoll etc..  I know that a few of those tractors are just name plates, but how do you get an overview of GTs?  I can't get my mind around the various qualities and strong points of the different brands.  Is there an overview book?  Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine?  Can one of you guys just write me up an encyclopedia of info?

953 nut
4 minutes ago, jellyghost said:

Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine?

@tractorchick can hook you up with a subscription, send her a PM.

• Like 5

Achto

When it comes to GT's they all have their features that make them desirable in one way or another. I grew up with Cub Cadets, they are quality tractors with some very good features. Bolens had their tube frames and shaft drive implements, Wheel Horse with their strong frame, trans and serviceability, John Deere's had their name & green paint. One thing you'll notice is that with all the brands of tractors, you'll only see a few different engines. I am a Kohler engine fan, so I tend to lean towards tractors that have a Kohler in them.

• Like 6

jellyghost

How do you differentiate quality garden tractors?

Engine choice

Transmission choice

Frame Ruggedness

Ease of service and attachments

Availability of parts and attachments...

Is there anything else that is special enough to make one tractor better than another (don't say green paint)?

I hear people sing praises about a certain brand (like Case), but they don't give specifics.  They just use different synonyms for tough and quality.

slim67
6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

How do you differentiate quality garden tractors?

Engine choice

Transmission choice

Frame Ruggedness

Ease of service and attachments

Availability of parts and attachments...

Is there anything else that is special enough to make one tractor better than another (don't say green paint)?

I hear people sing praises about a certain brand (like Case), but they don't give specifics.  They just use different synonyms for tough and quality.

If they are American made, I think they are all good. I think most people would be happy with any of them. Its nice to have a choice of good tractors, or at least it was.

• Like 2

T-Mo

I would recommend going to tractor shows that have garden tractors there.  Talk to the owners, get a close look at each brand, look at the features and construction of each.  Visit the various brand specific websites, i.e. www.wfmachines.com for John Deere, and Only Cub Cadets for Cubs, or Simple Tractors for Simplicitys, Case/Colt/Ingersol website(s), etc.

I'm a John Deere and Wheel Horse guy, but I can appreciate all brands as each has their pros and cons.  I can tell you what I like about each, but it's best to check them out your self so you can get a first hand knowledge of each.  One thing you will noticed is that the older GTs are built to last with more steel, heavier construction, etc. than the newer GTS which have more plastic, more aluminum, etc.

• Like 3

rmaynard

For years I have gone to the Wheel Horse show where everyone is of course biased toward that make. But going to a show such as Olde Tyme Days, or Steam-O-Rama where many makes are represented, gives you a whole different perspective. Owners of Cubs, AC's, Deere's, Bolens, etc., will tell you what is best about their machines. You will walk away with a lot of information. Though we all love our horses, many of us have other makes in the shed as well. 

• Like 5

953 nut

Today's stamped steel big box store disposable junk is what we don't think of as a quality garden tractor. A lot of them are made by MTD. They are built to last a few years and be replaced. The MTD brand is much maligned in the garden tractor collection world, yet at one time they too built some good quality equipment. I just happen to prefer :wh:.

• Like 4

Achto
20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The MTD brand is much maligned in the garden tractor collection world, yet at one time they too built some good quality equipment

This is true, the MTD "Farm King" was quite a beast in it's day.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I personally have or have had Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Economy/Power King, Ford, and Sears. I fell like I'm missing one, but you get the point haha. I honestly enjoy all of them with the exception of the Massey Ferguson's....always had issues with those Tecumseh Engines and same goes for the sears tractors. At this point I stick to the tractor's that have the Kohler engines.......they almost never let me down with proper maintenance. I have a 1966 Cub Cadet 102 that was in my wife's family since new and I still mow the yard with it every week, but it has been well maintained. A case garden tractor with the hydraulic drive you almost can't beat. I've never come across a tougher GT and it runs and drives so smooth. I prefer the hydraulic drive over a hydrostatic any day.

I own this book and it helps give an overview of all the brands:

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Tractors-Current-Tractor-Legacy/dp/0760331960

This magazine is a must if you like all brands of GT's:

http://www.lagtmag.com/  

• Like 2

T-Mo

There are some good GTs built today, John Deere, Simplicity, Ingersoll, just to name a few, but there are more plastic being used today also.  But, there are also more creature comforts and better ergonomics being used today (as well as more safety stuff that can be annoying).

MTD made the 990 back in the 70s, and was branded by many different names, Farm King, Ranch King, etc.  They had a drive shaft driven transmissions, 3 point hitches, big rear tires, etc.  They were a truly strongly built GT, and was as big as the D-series Wheel Horses and just as capable.

Probably not many know this, but Honda made a pretty large GT back in the late 80s, early 90s.  I have some of their operator's manuals also.

Unico_15_Tractor_Manual.pdf.pdf

770-3549.pdf

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Today's stamped steel big box store disposable junk is what we don't think of as a quality garden tractor. A lot of them are made by MTD. They are built to last a few years and be replaced. The MTD brand is much maligned in the garden tractor collection world, yet at one time they too built some good quality equipment. I just happen to prefer :wh:.

I've seen some older MTDs that were there with the best of them. 

37 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

There are some good GTs built today, John Deere, Simplicity, Ingersoll, just to name a few, but there are more plastic being used today also.  But, there are also more creature comforts and better ergonomics being used today (as well as more safety stuff that can be annoying).

MTD made the 990 back in the 70s, and was branded by many different names, Farm King, Ranch King, etc.  They had a drive shaft driven transmissions, 3 point hitches, big rear tires, etc.  They were a truly strongly built GT, and was as big as the D-series Wheel Horses and just as capable.

Probably not many know this, but Honda made a pretty large GT back in the late 80s, early 90s.  I have some of their operator's manuals also.

Unico_15_Tractor_Manual.pdf.pdf

770-3549.pdf

The price for those tractors is a drawback for guys like me. 

• Like 1

jellyghost

Thank you for all of this! I am now a subscriber to L&GT magazine, and I hope to attend a show.  This thread has helped me get some ideas in order about collecting.  Thank you.

• Like 1