HamptonT

Deck belt guards.....

HamptonT

Took the belt guards off a new to me 42" deck. Bought it used and in very good condition. Paint is bright red and only a few scratches. However, under the belt guards..... it was full of crud.

Seems to me that the belt guards harbor corrosive environments.

Also, I very much prefer to see the belts and pulleys on the deck when using it. It adds to the overall experience....

How about you? Belt guards on or off?

Anyone had a bad experience with them off?

Ed Kennell

I agree, the covers do collect the grass clippings and trap moisture causing the corrosion. 

They are on there to protect the operator and  I have never left mine off, but have considered cutting away the part that is totally under the tractor, using the existing small studs as alignment pins,  and installing  two 1/4 turn dog type fastener  to clamp the smaller cover down.    This would allow quick removal without any tools for cleaning after every mowing job.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Belt guards are there for a good reason...SAFETY.  One slip of your foot...that'll remind you.  

cleat

Actually, the newer Wheel Horse guards are not too bad for holding in grass.

They are open enough to be able to blow the grass out with a leaf blower or air compressor.

I think the old 42" decks had a single guard that would be much worse.

My Ford deck had a single guard that fully covered the belts and pulleys so grass would get built up with no way to get it out short of removing the guard.

I would keep the guards on and just blow it out the best you can after each use.

Your safety is more important than rust on a deck.

Cleat

Tankman

Belt guards for safety. We remove the guards frequently but use compressed air and/or a shop vac all the time.

Very good reason for having Grandsons on weekends. :laughing-rofl:

Charlie_Linus.jpg.d9972c2535f4da4927446157688fe795.jpg

• Like 1

69 fury

my deck never come with guards  from factory . i guess that's why the deck is in such fine shape.