HamptonT

How do you sharpen deck blades?

HamptonT

Just wondering how it should be done. I've always ground them on my bench grinder. 

rjg854

That's one way ;) I tend to sharpen mine by hand with a file, but then I'm old school :laughing-rofl: I just feel I don't use up as much blade just sharpening them.

• Like 4

Jeff R.

I have been using the 4 1/2" angle grinder lately and this is my new preferred method.

• Like 4

pfrederi

Flap wheel on an angle grinder

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I use the bench grinder and a bucket of cooling water.  Then dress and deburr with a 12" half  round bastard file.

• Like 3

DennisThornton

4 1/2 grinders with different grits. Faster & better than anything else I've tried. 

slim67
16 hours ago, Jeff R. said:

I have been using the 4 1/2" angle grinder lately and this is my new preferred method.

6 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

4 1/2 grinders with different grits. Faster & better than anything else I've tried. 

:text-yeahthat: I use a Zirconia Z80flap disc on my grinder at work and home. I think thats the easiest way. 

Sarge

Ceramic flap disks on the 4-1/2" Metabo - goes quickly and the ceramic doesn't create nearly as much heat . If you decide to try these wheels do not use a lot of down pressure or you'll burn it and they won't cut . Best performance I've found so far is from CGW (Camel Grinding Wheels) . For polishing/cleaning they now make a non-woven surface conditioning flap disks in 3 grades - love those things !

Sarge

• Like 2

WHX??

4.5 grinder with a basic wheel, may have to give the flap wheel a try sometime. Make sure you balance.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

If the blades are rough I get aggressive with a very coarse hard wheel but never enough to heat the blade edges to any color.  Then usually a 120 grit flap disc to touch up the cutting edge.  Love the flap discs!  And I'm quite the fan of a fine double cut file to finish if I'm showing off.  That sharp edge will last and last for about 10 minutes around here!  Sand & rocks! I've got to set up two mowers.  One for the lawn around the house and another for the trails & less groomed areas. 

• Like 2

T McCool

Angle grinder/flap wheel. Hasn't failed me yet😉

can whlvr

angle grinder and don't even them off,ive done it so often they rarely go out of balance