Duramax7man7

JET Drill Press Mod: JDP-14MF quality

Duramax7man7

Found one of these this weekend for a good price.

Model as said is JDP-14MF and seems to be good condition overall.

Quality machine or waste of my money.

953 nut

Jet is a quality tool maker, their lathes and other woodworking tools are fabulous.

Duramax7man7

How does a Rockwell model 15-017 for $175 sound? Really good condition? The only thing missing the chuck key?

Edited by Mastiffman

Kurt-NEPA
1 hour ago, Mastiffman said:

How does a Rockwell model 15-017 for $175 sound? Really good condition? The only thing missing the chuck key?

Rockwell bought out Walker-Turner and then Delta bought out Rockwell.  Rockwell/Delta continued to make the Walker-Turner design for many years.  They were fantastic drill presses.  I have two of them.  Assuming the bearings are good you will happy with it..  If its a floor model, $175 is a decent price.  Chuck keys are cheap - I get mine from McMaster-Carr.

• Like 1

aHorseofCourse

I have a Jet JDP-17MF.  It's a good drill never had any problems in the 5 years I owned it.  I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

Sarge

That Rockwell will make the Jet look like a toy - if it's complete I'd already own it . Parts are pretty common to find , even tables and bases are out there at a reasonable cost . Bearings and such aren't bad to source , most of the older ones used fairly common parts and are pretty easy to fix . I have a very early casting Delta DP-220 which is it's earliest predecessor - excellent machine . Make sure it's a single phase motor or be prepared to find an appropriate replacement single phase - most of those old machines were built for industrial work and are 3ph 208-460v so keep that in mind . Also , be prepared for some weight - it's probably well north of 350lbs despite being a smaller machine .

Here's some helpful links if want to research it -

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=4255

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=13923

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141619

Hopefully the return spring isn't broken but even that wouldn't be a deal breaker - they can be repaired or replaced but they aren't commonly available although I haven't researched them much lately . Lot of nos parts out there since they built many hundred thousand of those machines . Nice part - the older stuff has adjustments to keep them in tolerance - newer stuff from foreign junk manufacturers just wear out and need new parts , only to fail again in a short time . I look for machines made from the '40's to late '70s - those are about the best bang for the buck and almost all are rebuildable . A friend of mine just got a newer Jet industrial 20" , it is built far too light for what it's rated for and already has a lot of wear but he also owns a large mill - so no big deal to him . Half destroyed my back yesterday sand blasting the old Clausing's table and base and got both primed - need to finish painting those parts and I can start working on the lift gear box which is going to need extensive work - all worth the effort in the end as this machine will easily run another 65yrs...lol .

To get something near the quality of the Rockwell and others like it you'd have to spend north of several thousand dollars and good luck repairing wear items in the future...just my take on things .

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Yes sir!

Got her home and she works well. Bearings all seem in good condition. Seems like any noise is more of a vibration coming from the motor area. May just need some fasteners tightened.

Return spring seem fine and has a tension adjuster. There is a bit of saw dust in spots of the machine so was probably used last in a wood shop. Will need a good oiling for sure. 

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Here it stands. Nothing Crazy Big but I'm guessing that this will do the job well.

Rockwell_Drill_Press.jpg

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Nice score.  It looks fantastic.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Thanks! Yeah it seems to be in decent shape for a mid 1970's machine design...

formariz

That is a great machine. You will not be disappointed.

Here is mine the bench version from the Walker Turner era. Takes two strong men to move it.

IMG_0512.thumb.JPG.76101ae8768af820256909846d63dd14.JPG

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Nice! That's a per-dee one too!

Anyway that your chuck key has a number on it or anything? Looking to order one this week.

How would I go about doing that? Measure the diameter of the hole and then the amount of teeth on the chuck itself?

By the way, last night a got to fiddling with it checking for the source of the noise and it was mainly a combination of the loose hood springs and the tension set screw wasn't tightened.

So I reset the spring gap and tightened down the hood as well as set a good tension on the belt and made sure the set screw was tight and that did a lot. No more loud humming and vibrating. She's still got a little noise to her but it's way more tolerable now. Might end up replacing the bearings sooner later. They don't sound like they are grinding, badly worn or anything. Just a bit dry. Not completely though. I tried to give the pulley's a good shake with the belt off and they weren't bad at all for a 1970's machine.

Edited by Mastiffman

formariz

You should have a Jacobs 1/2" chuck with a 33 taper. Should be marked. Should then be a K3 key.

Noise is the reason why most of these drill presses no longer have the cover. Regardless of constant fudging with them They are always making a racket sooner or later. People just take them off and wind up loosing them.

IMG_0514.thumb.JPG.e8cd38dcd90f0d3b1976d8aa67d1ce8a.JPG

IMG_0515.thumb.JPG.319a08cab37544489e2004b480201269.JPG

Edited by formariz

Sarge

Do some research on that model - should be able to find a manual for it . Don't jump on ordering bearings - most of those can be removed in a simple press , take the shield covers off , clean and re-grease them as long as they aren't discolored or galled inside . There is an adjustment for the bearing preload as well as adjustments to set the column tolerance to eliminate any slop . Jacobs chucks have a standard series of chuck keys and are easily rebuilt - just take some time to research the parts drawings and such from Jacob's site . That is a great machine - some rubber self adhesive disks placed in the right spot will shut that belt guard up from rattling - it should provide an easy 50yrs of additional service if cared for . Someone had to take at least reasonable care of it - those were not a cheap machine back in the day and seriously built to last . I'd love to find one in that condition but most have been severely abused...

Sarge

• Like 1