Xearl

523XI Snow blower trouble

Xearl

Jeff , That makes sense . I was hoping for a miracle  cure . Looking at it I think I have to break the chain and the separate the blower housing  .  Then I can get at the sprocket and the bearing retainer which will allow me to remove the paddle and gear box in one piece . I'm try to avoid splitting the gear box .  I still can't figure how come it's so far off . I just got the last of the parts yesterday and hoped to be together today . Just a dream . 

THanks Jeff .   I hope the impeller is not frozen to th shaft .    ED

Edited by Xearl
spelling
  • Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Ed are you saying that the auger shaft is too far forward?  If it was up and down, the cam lock bearing on the impeller shaft would let the auger shaft move up and down quite a bit.  Fore and aft would mean the impeller shaft has slipped in the cam lock bearing or you have something out of place in the gear box.  Have you tried just tapping the gear box a bit.  Not hard on that aluminum gear box.  If you get any movement you found the problem.

I hate it when this kind of thing happens.  For me, I miss-wired a relay earlier this afternoon.  Easy fix, but it took an hour to figure it out.  Time for an adult beverage. 

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
My poor eyesight
  • Like 1

Xearl

I was trying not to open the gear box but I think you are right and I will do that first .. The only way it could move is that the worm gear has moved .  Thanks for the input .  ED

WVHillbilly520H

Something else, try turning the impeller shaft, maybe this will "roll" the auger shaft enough to align with the bearings.

• Like 1

Xearl

Thanks ,  Back at it tomorrow but if these ideas don't work I'm going to  take the blower of the tractor and but the deck on . I have already removed the weights because I need to clean up around here .  I will work on it a little at a time . 

• Like 2

Xearl

It's killing me not to be finding out what's up with that misalignment but family comes first today . Sitting in the house it occurred to me that if I knew the distance between the gear box and the paddle hub before I open the gearbox I might save some time .  Going over this in my mind I can't see how it could be in the gears but I will see . Doctors tomorrow so most of the day will  be shot . If someone could help me I would  be grateful .   Ed

toro - blower shaft 2.jpg

Edited by Xearl

WVHillbilly520H

Looks like 10" on mine ,Jeff.

14923815608811606143855.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I got 10-3/16" on mine.

I was just thinking (I know that is dangerous) that impeller hub could be moved in and out on the impeller shaft and not mean anything.  Probably +/- 1/4"

• Like 1

Xearl

.  Kurt ,  I think I know what you mean .  If I loosened the bearing and sprocket I might be able to move it back and get what I need but I think it's back about as far as it can go and be safe .   Thank for the measure .   Ed

Jeff , Thanks for the measure I'll check tomorrow .  I'm trying to get an idea if there is something wrong with the gearbox before I take it apart for no reason . It's always something .  Ed      You guys are great and appreciated .

• Like 1

Xearl

Well I measured the shaft 10 5/8 "  it seems that is where the problem is . Don't ask me how this came about .  I opened the gear box and found nothing wrong except that the rear seal was not in the grove . Fixed that and closed it up .  When I opened the old gear box there was no front bushing at all so maybe someone adjust the shaft before or when I replaced the chain and idler I did something . I will get the bearing and sprocket off and remove the whole thing and free up the impeller and go from there . Wish me luck .  ED

• Like 1

Xearl

Does anyone know if the impeller shaft bearing and the jack shaft bearings are the same ones being used on the auger shaft ??   I used SA205-16 on the auger shaft .  I took the chain off and spun the impeller shaft and it spins great even with the side bearings just hanging but the bearing is noisy . If I'm taking the whole thing apart I mind as well replace all the bearings and be done with it . Next is split it in half and work on getting the sprocket off and the shaft out .  After all this and more to come I must say I am enjoying doing some repair and fabricating .  Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way .  ED

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

My notes say the impeller shaft is 7/8" while the auger shaft is 1".  So bearing would not be the same. 

From my notes

Impeller Shaft is 7/8" and uses a Cam Lock Bearing no. SA205-14.

Be careful getting the sprocket off.  It is an unusual size. Mine was trashed and I had to get a separate sprocket and hub from McMaster and weld them together.  Not hard if you have a welder.

Have you thought about modifying the tensioner?

BTW,  I just checked my two stage and the main gear box is leaking.  I replaced the seals two years ago.  Looks like I have some work to do.

WVHillbilly520H

I didn't have too big of an issue with the sprocket just penetrating spray to help loosen up the set screws and shaft/keyway then some "tapping" with a dead blow/brass hammer it came off (a 3 jaw puller could work to help with that also) remember some BLUE loctite when re-installing the set screws and yes 7/8" impeller shaft and 205-14 bearing, if I had access to some more of those "quad" seals flat O-rings I would help both of you out there,  or try these guys, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170420-191657.png

Xearl

Thanks Kurt . I didn't really take a good look but I will measure things when I split the unit .  I was thinking I could drill a couple of holes in the sprocket  and make a puller  or I have one that I made from the old outboard motor days that might work . Then there is moving the paddle forward  about  1/2 " .   Trouble is I can't devote the same amount of time as I did before .  Last season I made an oak piece that just wedged in that took up the tension on the chain .  The other thought was on the back wheel of some motorcycles they have a tensioner that might work . If the oil seals leak on mine after all this I think I will just check it before each run for a few years ..  Thanks again .  ED

Jeff , I don't even have it apart and I'm making a puller in my mind .  Maybe I it will come off with a little gentle persuasion and then  I will replace all the bearings . I replaced both idlers and the chain last year .  Thanks again   , ED

Xearl

Almost done except for s grease job . Can someone tell me what this belt guard is supposed to look like .

toro belt guard.jpg