HamptonT

Any Harm in Degreaser and Car Wash

HamptonT

Is there any harm I can do by using some arisol can engine degreaser and then washing with a car wash wand on my 314-8?

After cleaning it up, I would regrease. 

wfrpalm

Make sure you wet it down gefore you spray the degreaser on otherwise it may stain.

• Like 2

Blasterdad

I just use the soap setting on the car wash wand, crud comes right off, then rinse....

lynnmor

I use engine degreaser and a garden hose.  High pressure will likely push dirt, water and degreaser into places where you don't want it.  A stiff brush and multiple applications should be sufficient. 

Jerry77
1 hour ago, HamptonT said:

washing with a car wash wand on my 314-8?

If you have the later 314-8 with the warning lights - don't use pressure wash ( or your garden hose ) directly on them from the rear - don't ask why I know this :(

• Like 3

stevebo

Pressure washing on sheet metal will peel any compromised paint areas. Be careful.

• Like 2

Sparky
55 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Pressure washing on sheet metal will peel any compromised paint areas. Be careful.

It will also quickly remove any decals that are not affixed firmly!!

Mike......

• Like 2

SPINJIM

I found that some degreasers  (Purple Power ?) will stain the WH paint and leave streaks.   I'd suggest trying first it on a hidden part of the body paint.

Jim

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

I use paint thinner in a spray bottle and a small paint brush. I just spray on engine ,brush and spray off. It doesn't hurt the paint at all. Then use dawn soap and spray off with water hose. It doesn't smell bad eather.

• Like 2

can whlvr

I guess as usual I'm different,i power wash everything,not extreme on electrical of coarse but every thing else,and I have a very powerful machine with a 13 hp Honda,dont even need degreaser,just blast her clean

WHX??

Any kind of power washing is supposed to be a :angry-nono: no...but we all do it and sounds like our Canadian brethren do it with more HP than some of our tractors! Regular garden hose pressure should suffice & a quality degreaser used with caution on fine patinas. A pressure washer is/can be a dangerous substitute for elbow grease.  If we must  PW prefer one with an adjustable unloader to tone down things abit. Shift boots, engine seals and fuse/electrical blocks are no match for 4000 psi. Dry thoroughly after a bath, best accomplished by a leaf blower at a suitable distance or seat time on a sunny day! :)

• Like 1

W9JAB

"Is there any harm I can do by using some arisol can engine

degreaser and then washing with a car wash wand "

If your at a pay car wash not your own pressure washer you can do a lot of harm to the system.

A lot of car wash places need to recycle the water, and use R.O. filters,

those filters can be ruined with the wrong type of  detergents.

WVHillbilly520H

Most small electric power/pressure washers are only 1200-2000 psi not as much as the gas powered versions, still it's under more pressure but sometimes the garden hose just isn't enough, also there's a siphon style degreaser tool to use with your air compressor where the tube is put into your solvent of choice then press the button, Jeff.

Sarge

I've found that some of the Zep brand concentrate cleaners for pressure washers work really well - use it in my Rigid 3200psi unit a lot for cleaning up parts - but that's only for full on repainting , not preserving what is there . As said before , avoid trans seals and electrical stuff , I've had to dry out more than one set of points to move a dead tractor...

Sarge

aHorseofCourse

I use simple green degreaser and a pressure washer.  I just use it on greasy spots (axles and pivots points) and regular car wash with a garden hose and wash mit on the hood, fenders, etc.  I never had any issues, just stay back when washing the engine and don't point it at electrical connections (prolly stay away completely from the dash and gauges).  I think my washer is 2400psi and I use the widest fan nozzle.  About 3 feet from the nozzle it just feels like a strong mist on my hand so I can't see it doing any damage.  Been washing my truck engine like this for years too with no issues.  Just my :twocents-02cents:, good luck!

ohiofarmer

THE BEST STUFF I ever used was [back in the day] Gunk formula. what you did was to mix it with kerosene and spray it on full strength and wait 15 minutes to a half hour. We usually just sprayed enough to keep it wet and sprayed extra on the horrible places. The grease really liquefied nicely and sheets of it came off. Cheap,too.

The EPA would have a hissy fit with the idea that you would spray that stuff and rinse it off into the environment, so that may be the reason it is only in those little bitty cans today.and costs at least ten times what it used to. A mixture of half gas and half kerosene is pretty close in performance but still not as good. This tool is one [not environmentally responsible] way to apply solvents, but I also just paint it on with a brush over cardboard and later burn the cardboard in my trash burner http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html 

For a safer and nicer product, Tire Shine works great and will not harm the paint. Spray it on and you have scrubbing bubbles and wipe it off and you are done. Motorcycle guys use it a lot,and  i am talking about around the engine and not for tires in this application. For final showroom stuff, some bike guys use Lemon Pledge or even branded motorcycle cleaners that are for keeping the shine maintained.

I hope this gives you guys who live in town some ways to get it done. Out in the country we can clean some pretty serious stuff off farm equipment with gas or a gas and diesel mix.

As far as a paint friendly soap,use Murphy's Oil Soap. My car looks almost like fresh wax when i use it.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

can whlvr

one thing to remember is the pressure drops from the nozzle when u get farther away,and get closer when needed

TDF5G

I've used kerosene or mineral spirits with a parts cleaner brush with very good results.  I just clean the greasy and sludge areas around the engine and trans.  Rinse with garden hose. 

My neighbor gave me some Super Clean in the purple spray bottle. It does clean grease and grime but it leaves a dull finish. 

Edited by TDF5G