aHorseofCourse

Small snowblower mod

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice idea on the modification.

Glenn

• Like 2

857 horse

Looks pretty Laget to me,,,,,,,I like it !!!!!

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, aHorseofCourse said:

Any idea how much weight is ok on the rear hitch?

We have had this conversation several times here, no conclusive answers. I have a 2" hitch receiver bolted to the rear end and hang a couple hundred pounds off it.

58cbbe7e30e1f_2hitchweightbox003.thumb.JPG.cb1f834116aadd23664358ce0828a30a.JPG

• Like 6

cleat

Loading the rear tires really helps.

Farmers have been doing it for many years on large tractors for traction.

I have loaded my rears on my big to me diesel tractor, and two of my 520's have loaded rears.

I find the added traction even in the summer mowing grass in ditches and hills to be much better with actually less sod damage since the tires no longer spin.

I use plumbing antifreeze, beet juice would be even better as it is heavier but I could not find a local source.

Cleat

• Like 4

dclarke

Nice upgrade to a poor design. :handgestures-thumbupright:  Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea.  

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Loaded tires, outside wheel weights, inside wheel weights, hitch weight, transmission damage, axle bearing damage.....Do a search and  you will find TON of opinions.

IMO,  do it all.

IMG_6697.thumb.JPG.b973fc0ea684db3b185988605709e3cf.JPG

• Like 6

roadapples

@aHorseofCourse The Wheel Horse manual for installing my Ark loader says with wheel weights you can put 250lbs in ballast box. 350lbs without wheel weights. Any more could harm transaxle. That is from Wheel Horse themselves....by the way good idea on the blower..:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 6

Ed Kennell

Looks like I'm right on the edge Jay.   :wacko:

• Like 4

Racinbob

I like that idea. With our upcoming move back to Indiana I'll be on the lookout for a blower. Count me in as another who will be stealing your idea. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

aHorseofCourse

Thanks guys.  I hope everyone steals the idea as it seems to work really well.  I was afraid the cable might want to jump off the pulley but I used it all day in the ice storm and didn't have one problem.  I'm thinking of getting one of the hitches the vendor on here sells and making a bigger weight box.  That seems to spread the weight out more than on the factory tow point.  Will the single stage blower fit with a forward swept axle?  Thinking of doing the conversion but if my attachments won't fit I might not.

11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Loaded tires, outside wheel weights, inside wheel weights, hitch weight, transmission damage, axle bearing damage.....Do a search and  you will find TON of opinions.

IMO,  do it all.

IMG_6697.thumb.JPG.b973fc0ea684db3b185988605709e3cf.JPG

How well do those rubber chains work?  My metal ones are scuffing up my driveway

Ed Kennell

I bought this 312 with the rubbers already on it and I almost took them off as I have always 2 link Vee bar steel hooks on my snow movers.

Luckily we got a snow and I had an occasion to try the rubbers a few years back.  I was amazed at the traction especially on paved driveways.

With the steel hooks and blower on the 520, I had trouble getting up my steep driveway with the blower raised and  no snow on it.  

With this 312, I can plow up and down with no concern even if a wheel would slip.

58ccb0a2c1546_IMG_7179(2).thumb.JPG.184fa47b7e29fc79f893d9aa76b7ec7e.JPG

• Like 5

aHorseofCourse
19 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I bought this 312 with the rubbers already on it and I almost took them off as I have always 2 link Vee bar steel hooks on my snow movers.

Luckily we got a snow and I had an occasion to try the rubbers a few years back.  I was amazed at the traction especially on paved driveways.

With the steel hooks and blower on the 520, I had trouble getting up my steep driveway with the blower raised and  no snow on it.  

With this 312, I can plow up and down with no concern even if a wheel would slip.

Nice.  We just had our driveway sealed this year and the wife isn't too impressed with the scratches :roll::snooty:.  Might be the ticket, thanks!

• Like 3

oldredrider

Several years ago, after the wife complained about the driveway marks on the asphalt,  I invested in the rubber chains. Cost $130, if I remember correctly. Resealing the driveway cost around $275 every couple of years.  Seemed like a "no brainer" to me.

Rubber chains work great for traction, even on dirt.  I will never go back to metal chains, given my experience. 

• Like 2

aHorseofCourse
35 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

Several years ago, after the wife complained about the driveway marks on the asphalt,  I invested in the rubber chains. Cost $130, if I remember correctly. Resealing the driveway cost around $275 every couple of years.  Seemed like a "no brainer" to me.

Rubber chains work great for traction, even on dirt.  I will never go back to metal chains, given my experience. 

Thinking about it more, would they sit right on my ag tires?

lynnmor
13 hours ago, aHorseofCourse said:

Thinking about it more, would they sit right on my ag tires?

I think that they would wear out real fast with just the area at each lug carrying the load.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I agree with Lynn.  In fact I believe all chains, steel and rubber,  last longer and are more effective on turfs where the full link length is making contact with the tire.

One other point, if the wheel spins, I believe  the rubber straps may actually twist into the snow creating a scoop similar to the cut bar on a pulling tire.

Lynn, do you have a name or link for the strap supplier in Lancaster?     I think you mentioned them when I toured your shop.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

aHorseofCourse

I love the tru powers in the summer but they don't get along with the chains very well.  Guess I'll have to buy another :wh: so I can have two tire options!

• Like 3

lynnmor
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Lynn, do you have a name or link for the strap supplier in Lancaster?     I think you mentioned them when I toured your shop.

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

Keep in mind that Mr. Esh is Amish and, I believe, he has someone else handle the phone calls.

Here is the information from the website:

ADDRESS J Esh Manufacturing
557 Sawmill Rd
New Providence, PA 17560

PHONE (717) 983-0123 (Retail orders & questions)
  (717) 786-6063 (Wholesale/dealer orders)

FAX (717) 786-7221

• Like 4

aHorseofCourse
6 hours ago, lynnmor said:

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

Keep in mind that Mr. Esh is Amish and, I believe, he has someone else handle the phone calls.

Here is the information from the website:

ADDRESS J Esh Manufacturing
557 Sawmill Rd
New Providence, PA 17560

PHONE (717) 983-0123 (Retail orders & questions)
  (717) 786-6063 (Wholesale/dealer orders)

FAX (717) 786-7221

:thanks: for the info.  The machine shop I use is Amish run.  They do great work but do things a bit different.  Not one light bulb in the entire shop

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:  Thanks Lynn.

WHX??

Yes very nice idea on the chute rotator & will steal as well. Stock on mine usually work just ok most times. A  roller for slide by closet & patio doors is common and can be had in metal with ball bearings.

On the rubber chains guys seems like quite a few guys here like them. What makes them work so well? One would just think they are an extension of tire rubber? Might have look into a set after this years driveway sealcoating.. The Mrs. is not too impressed with the marks on her new to her asphalt.... 'specially when the tires spin!

BTW I got my last set of chains here but not these rubber ones.

http://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-Rubber-Tire-Chains.htm

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

lynnmor
On 3/20/2017 at 11:18 AM, WHX9 said:

On the rubber chains guys seems like quite a few guys here like them. What makes them work so well? One would just think they are an extension of tire rubber?

The rubber chains are installed tightly with almost no air in the tire.  Then the tire is inflated to normal pressure.  Even with them being tight, the rubber cross straps tilt a bit and grab rather well.  I think they perform nearly as well as steel chains on a straight pull.   If you have a situation where a tractor can slide sideways, the rubber straps seem to actually make that worse.  I have taken a 180 on a short, steep portion of my driveway and now use more caution there.  One other negative is the rough ride, I believe another member is going to inquire about doubling up the number of straps.

• Like 3

WHX??

Point taken Lynn, I think what you re meaning to say then is you just have to change your tactics or blowing pattern abit? I would imagine they give a better ride than say two link or four link chains? 

• Like 2

lynnmor
5 minutes ago, WHX9 said:

Point taken Lynn, I think what you re meaning to say then is you just have to change your tactics or blowing pattern abit? I would imagine they give a better ride than say two link or four link chains? 

I make sure that the blower is pushing some snow on the grade so I don't have to rely entirely on tire traction to hold me back.

The rubber tire chains, in my opinion, ride about three times worse than steel chains.  Steel chains can flex the tire tread a bit but the large rubber straps cannot.

• Like 2