tormater

520 Onan p220 burning oil

tormater
2 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

Nope because my  .20 oversize rings came in a piston kit for $230.00 and all I know is I spent $762.09 all total for the rebuild kit plus machining and incidentals for a total of about $1200.00 back in Nov 2011 Gosh has it been 6 years ago already! Where does the time go? In my opinion it was well worth the $$$ Case That engine on my SNOW CHUCKER will now last me the rest of my life being it only runs in the winter and it is well maintained.  Call T.J. at ONANPARTS.COM  he will hook you up they have great prices although in 6 years I'm sure prices have naturally went up. 

~Duke :handgestures-thumbupright:

onan.thumb.png.b66d23cc9e92e5c4b86dd7cf03e9d68b.png

What are you saying exactly HorseFixer, you stating that new rings probably are not going to fix the blow by issue with the cylinders being .003 out of round???? Service manual states .003 is the maximum allowed but if the oil rings are worn out I would sure think that would solve the issue, I am very capable but do not want to do a complete rebuild on the Onan and don't believe I will find any crank or rod bearing issues.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

NO, You asked how much New Rings cost and where to get yer stuff. I said I didn't know because they came included in the piston kit I purchased. I merely showed what I paid for my rebuild kit back in 2011 and I know I had $400.00 in machining costs + which included boring cylinders, turning the crank, valve grind, knurling guides, and he balanced my engine. I also had other incidentals involved. You very well may be able to fix yours with just rings. But you should get complete set of rings and your going to ave to hone the cylinders. You want to do both cylinders. Be advised that your starting to get deep in the engine. Its always been my thought on where do you stop? Increasing the compression in the top end what does that do to components on the bottom end? Maybe nothing? I dunno. I don't want to be the GRIM REAPER HERE, I was just showing you what THE FULL MONTY COST just as an example or reference. Or worse case senerio. How about valve seals? They could be an Issue too. My advice to you is get a hold of T.J. at ONANPARTS.COM he knows his stuff and he does this EVERYDAY and knows those engines inside out. He already posted on here up in the thread so he is wanting to help you. Whatever you find keep us posted as we all learn from this and I am interested how its all gonna shake out for you.  GOOD LUCK!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

tormater
25 minutes ago, HorseFixer said:

It looks like he is getting $19.95 for his ring sets per piston. Here is a link to his page for these.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

https://www.onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=9

RINGS.png.610d22b014df5e5ed634715e75eed81b.png

Yup, had this page saved as this morning HorseFixer, Thank You very much for your help, looks like a great place to get the parts!

By the way, I think and I mean, I think, the valve seals appeared to be in pretty good shape, carbon heavy but seals appear ok, looking forward to the valve adjustments, everything there looks pretty good thank goodness! 

By the way, I bet your Onan gained a few ponies by what you have done to yours! Bet it is no longer only a 20 horser!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

The Tractor was restored from the Ground Up, Engine. Tranny Everything. Has remote Oil Filter System and many extras installed. This tractor was transformed into "THE ULTIMATE SNOW CHCUCKER" Here is a picture of me and my Pal Fred Young The Drummer from the Kentucky Head Hunters. Fred stopped by my place while him and his band were performing at our local Apple Festival and checked out my Stable. Enjoyed the afternoon and evening with Fred and the Band. Fred is a Big Collector of all kinds of Tractors and was in LAGC Mag a month prior to an Article I wrote. I was the first from the forum to be in the mag there has been many many since. Here is a link to one of their Music Videos.  ~Duke

DSCN5263.thumb.JPG.5dc79f18b0af8a587eaf3c2c32093e7d.JPG

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Gosh I came back to this post to ck responses, ended up watching that Video like 5 times admiring that chick and now my OIL PRESSURE is Peaked out and I forgot all about burning any oil!   :ROTF:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Just watched the video also Duke...that's definitely not the coal mine I worked in 60 years ago....oh no..the cap on my Nitro pill bottle is stuck.

• Like 2

tormater

Parts are ordered fellas!

• Like 1

tormater

Honed cylinders and popped the Pistons back in, nice that the Pistons can't be moved .020 like before, hahaha they are nice and tight now!

Screenshot_2017-03-28-08-38-48.png

tormater

Got er all back together, seems good, no more blue smoke and seems to run pretty well, we'll see after working it for awhile what it does on oil consumption.

Screenshot_2017-04-03-08-33-25.png

• Like 2

onanparts.com
5 hours ago, tormater said:

Got er all back together, seems good, no more blue smoke and seems to run pretty well, we'll see after working it for awhile what it does on oil consumption.

Screenshot_2017-04-03-08-33-25.png

For proper ring seating/break in, the engine should be run alternating between half and full loads. Don't baby it! Normal use but try to avoid letting it idle for long periods until you have 3-4 hours on the clock. :) Good to see it's back up and running!

Edited by onanparts.com
  • Like 1

tormater
18 minutes ago, onanparts.com said:

For proper ring seating/break in, the engine should be run alternating between half and full loads. Don't baby it! Normal use but try to avoid letting it idle for long periods until you have 3-4 hours on the clock. :) Good to see it's back up and running!

19 minutes ago, onanparts.com said:

Yup, that's what I have been doing Onanparts, thank you and for your service