RT WH520

Onan P220 for my 520H

Need help...I have a 520H and I have not worked on small engines other than basic maint.

My P220 is showing that it is not charging the battery. I got a new battery and after using it a bit, it will not start. I know the basics of looking for wires shorting and other basic.

I have the manual also. Should I start with the rectifier regulator. It is cheap enough.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated!!!

Pull and check the legs of the fuses.   Don't forget the one at the front of the tractor near the starter.     And, yes the RRs are suspect and relatively cheap, but I would pull the fuses and every connector 3 times to clean the lugs. And loosen and clean all the ground connections  including the bolt that fastens the RR to the tin.  These 520 wiring  connectors have a tendency to corrode and loose contact.

You may find your RR is OK, but it is a good idea to have one in stock, as it will fail eventually. 

Good luck....keep us posted,    and  :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 1

:text-yeahthat:

Test it for DC voltage out with a multi-meter first.

You can also test the wires coming from the engine too if there's no voltage coming out, 2 wires go to the rectifier/regulator from the engine's stator. They put out AC voltage and although I'm not familiar with Onans, think each should put out about 36 volts AC. If you have AC voltage on both of those wires, clean all the contacts and connect them back up and test the third lead on the regulator for DC voltage. Should be around 14v DC or so coming out. AC voltage in and no DC voltage out = bad regulator. No AC from engine= investigation into the stator. AC in and DC out = your problem is after the regulator and the electrical fun begins.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

:text-yeahthat:      Just to clarify where to measure, The two outside lugs on the RR are the AC wires from the stator where you should see the 30-36 VAC at 3600 RPM and it will vary directly with the RPM.    There is a second wire on the rear lug that is the trigger signal to the tachometer.     The center lug is the +DC to the battery where like John says,  you should measure 13.5- 14 VDC at 3600RPM .

Edited by Ed Kennell

If you want to clean contacts in wiring , plugs and such get a can of DeOxit D5 , 5% solution . It's not cheap , but works far better than anything else I've ever used and will also protect from further corrosion . Caig labs has been making this stuff for years for electronics techs - nothing better out there other than full blown commercial stuff - and be aware , a little goes a very long way .

https://www.parts-express.com/caig-d5s-6p-deoxit-d5-spray-with-perfect-straw-5-oz-60th-anniversary--341-201

Sarge

Don't forget to check the 9 pin block.                                     Wayne

• Like 2

The 88 and 89 520's do not run the charge current through the 9 pin.

I have rewired all of mine this way. Just a wire from the regulator straight down to the starter solenoid with a 30 amp inline fuse close to the starter.

Gets rid of most charge issues.

You can just make out the sealed fuse holder in these pics tied to the dipstick tube.

58c9d1c28aeb0_520footcontrolasofFeb1720145.thumb.jpg.fdb906581389883da0bd2efda3cedb7d.jpg

58c9d1c70dcde_Frontaxle1.thumb.jpg.95d8d3a1d19982be175bee84c1a9d336.jpg

58c9d1cc305f0_Frontaxle2.thumb.jpg.2f196e49e69186f9b10cce8fa1f845bf.jpg

Cleat

• Like 1