shallowwatersailor

Finally Some Snow!

elliot ness

Super nice Machine.:text-bravo:

pfrederi

24" and wind. That 16hp Kohler was working the governor...right up until the belt broke.  Replaced that (by the way what engineering genius made the drive pulley so close to the housing you have to remove it to put the belt on!!!)  Finally broke through to the road (only one pass by the town plow. Then the cable for the chute pulled out of its clamp.  i do not have a cable cutter and the end was frayed so i couldn't get it back together right away.  got her back to the shop (snowblowers do not make good snow plows thank the heavens for the 10 pinion ltd slip..  Got the cable rethreaded but i was cocktail hour...besides i  ain't going nowhere for the next day or two.

Will be back out i the AM to do it all over again

• Like 4

aHorseofCourse

I am in the same boat, I was all excited for a good snow.  Supposed to get 18-24" of snow.  Ended up with 8-9" of sleet.  What a disaster.

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

24" and wind. That 16hp Kohler was working the governor...right up until the belt broke.  Replaced that (by the way what engineering genius made the drive pulley so close to the housing you have to remove it to put the belt on!!!) 

In 1993, Toro had to change the model number on the 42" snowthrower (#79360) because there was now an electric PTO with a different size PTO pulley. That meant the pulley on the snowthrower was made smaller. It is possible to change the belt without removing the pulley on that model. 

bmsgaffer

How did those tires do!? I will likely not get enough snow this year to try them out. :(

shallowwatersailor
15 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

How did those tires do!? I will likely not get enough snow this year to try them out. :(

The tires are great! The only additional weight added on the tractor are the four suitcase weights on the rear and the weight of the cab that I estimate at about 45 pounds. I haven't put the wheel weights back on since getting the Kenda K502 Terra Tracs, and have never loaded them. Today would have been a good day for chains with the ice underneath but I never lost traction. I am adding pictures I grabbed at my neighbors house that has the steepest driveway. In fact, I had it in Hi range (forgot to switch to Lo!) because of traveling down to that house. Still climbed right up that driveway.

58c8a3ec8b46f_WP_20170314_0401.thumb.jpg.d1d0eddd18fa1647f474df285536d391.jpg

58c8a45553c57_WP_20170314_0291.thumb.jpg.16a4c2d504892b2838d8dcfef013fff6.jpg

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update!

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

In 1993, Toro had to change the model number on the 42" snowthrower (#79360) because there was now an electric PTO with a different size PTO pulley. That meant the pulley on the snowthrower was made smaller. It is possible to change the belt without removing the pulley on that model. 

I put a smaller pulley on my thrower to increase auger RPM by 10%.        The side benefit was, I can now change belts w/o tools.

• Like 3

roadapples

And only six days till spring.. dang groundhog....:bitch:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

we had about 7 inches of snow then sleet and rain on top. a tree snapped across the driveway taking the power lines out and snapping a power pole in my backyard. i spent the day watching the lineman work, new pole, redo the lines.   Ohio Edison power, shout out to them. in from out of state to help JCP&L.  These men worked all day here, couldnt give them a coffee even. Got my respect.

John, glad you had some fun you dog you.

My son Mike got on the C175, but only in front on the house. lol

Glenn

20170314_155839.jpg

20170314_102843.jpg

20170314_103059_001.jpg

20170314_103142.jpg

20170314_104513.jpg

20170314_155850.jpg

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 5

953 nut
6 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

shout out to them. in from out of state to help JCP&L.  These men worked all day here, couldnt give them a coffee even. Got my respect.

When I lived in Florida we had several out of state line crews restore power following hurricanes;  real heroes!

12 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

We were in the 8-12" forecast range but was actually 4-5"

Confucius say;    "Better to be over prepared than overwhelmed!"

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Good to hear you had quick help.       Did they also clear the tree from your driveway Glenn?  

Home owners insurance will pay for downed tree removal on driveways and fence repair.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good to hear you had quick help.       Did they also clear the tree from your driveway Glenn?  

Home owners insurance will pay for downed tree removal on driveways and fence repair.

yes Ed, they cleared it off the driveway entrance to get the trucks in. but left it on the property, ( i am not complaining )

they also plowed the driveway. they thought it to risky to drive in. 

I notified insurance co. a real mess here.

Glenn

• Like 2

oldlineman

Thats what I did for 41 years, the best part of storm work was when we turned the power on and everyone cheered. It makes you feel good to help people when they need it. Yes give them a big hand 16 hours on and 8 off in bad weather is hard work and very dangerous, but the end result is worth it.

• Like 5