jellyghost

Strong enough to do some plowing?

jellyghost

While looking for a plow, I found this described as a hand plow and cutter. 

Is that even possible?  What is this?

handplowandcutter.jpg

benji756

looks like some kind of garden cultivator 

• Like 1

jellyghost

While doing some more searches, I have found some hand plows, but this doesn't really look like the other ones.  Any type of hand plow must be some real work.

• Like 2

russellmc301

looks like you could mount it up and use it.

• Like 1

wallfish

Post it over on the My Old Machine site. Those guys should know exactly what it was used for.

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

Rob R

That is a hand push cultivator, when I was a kid my dad had a 1/4 acre garden next to the house we had a couple of these great tools. We used this between rototiller session to keep the weeds under control. Many of these were made by Planet Junior. In soft soil they work wonders and are easy to control and limit damage to the vegetables. 

• Like 4

wallfish
40 minutes ago, rgrottk said:

That is a hand push cultivator, when I was a kid my dad had a 1/4 acre garden next to the house we had a couple of these great tools. We used this between rototiller session to keep the weeds under control. Many of these were made by Planet Junior. In soft soil they work wonders and are easy to control and limit damage to the vegetables. 

Rob, Do you know what the "paddles" between the wheels are used for? The hand push cultivator part is easy to understand but it doesn't really make much sense for having those paddles if they aren't used for anything.

• Like 1

Rob R
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Rob, Do you know what the "paddles" between the wheels are used for? The hand push cultivator part is easy to understand but it doesn't really make much sense for having those paddles if they aren't used for anything.

Hmmm I didn't see the paddles since the pic was sideways...... I am not sure what is the reason for these perhaps to cut-down on the compacting of soil....some of the cultivators had "buckets" on top so you could add fertilizer while you were cultivating, the shoes (on some)could be adjusted so that you could either cultivate the furrow or have the shoes dig on each side of the row of vegetables.... but to be honest most of the fertilizer units were made to be pulled by either horse or three point hitch tractor..... We had at least 1/2 dozen of these on the farm with the shoes and knives set for different types of crops.  It was a two man operation one to drive the tractor and one on a seat on the cultivator with a manually operated lever so you could move the shoes left and fight to avoid hitting the actual plants but get as many weeds as possible.

• Like 1

wallfish
16 minutes ago, rgrottk said:

I am not sure what is the reason for these perhaps to cut-down on the compacting of soil

That makes sense

• Like 1

Pullstart

I've got one of these in the garden that we use for cultivating weeds sometimes, but mainly for my little girls to try to figure out how to use it.  There is a sure trick to keeping the handle at the right height so that it won't dig too much or get blocked up.

• Like 2

W9JAB

That is a hand push/pull cultivator, you hook the wife up to it.:ROTF: