HamptonT

Got Toe?

HamptonT

On my "new to me" 314-8, I noticed that it has a noticeable toe-out alignment. Before I go all OCD on it and set the alignment perfectly straight, I thought it might be worth asking if there were any toe-out, toe-in recommendations I may not be aware of.

Thanks 

cschannuth

Others on here will probably know better but my tractors are all slightly toed in. I would say about an 1/8" on most of my tractors.   As long as it steers easily and straight and isn't wearing the tires abnormally, it's probably OK as it is. 

Amcwheel85

Yea my c81 toes out a lot also, bothers me if I look at it too much but haven't messed with it yet. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I was not watching and got one tire up against a small stump. Was moving real slow in low range. It forced the tire outward on the front and in the process twisted the arm coming off the spindle to tie rod end. A large adjustable wrench closed up on the thickness of the arm retuned the arm to it's original position and corrected the toe-in.

What surprised me was how easy it happened.

Check your arms to see they are twisted and if left and right is a match.

Garry

• Like 2

clueless

I always keep my toes-in my shoes and out from under the deck:)!

• Like 3

Achto

I like to run a slight toe out on my tractors, about 1/8" wider in the front when measured at the rim. I think toe out  makes it track better. Toe in seems to make the steering a little quicker and more susceptible to bump steer when on bumpy ground in my opinion.

• Like 1

squonk

I have seen the spindles on a lot of tractors twisted where the weld is that connects the round piece to the plate the tie rod bolts to. Just a couple of welds there. usually you can reset the location by lining up the broken weld and then welding it proper.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I set my toe in at 1/4'' and with tires properly inflated, its like power steering.

• Like 2

Cee245

I also set mine at 1/4" toe in.

Reason is, that's what I set my quad at. Riding a 4 wheeler with toe out or even is a bad idea as it will keep pulling in both directions constantly. Don't know how much of that relates to a tractor alignment though. 

Let's just ask the guy who has a new wheel horse!  What's his name with the never started 420 Lse?

C

• Like 1

wallfish

A large Toe Out can be caused by the tie rods being connected to the wrong side of the steering shaft. If the tie rods are not straight from the connection on the steering shaft  to the steering arm on the spindle, it shortens the distance. Easily adjusted with new adjustable tie rod ends but if you have the original fixed position WH tie rods, that could be the toe out issue.