George Washington

Opinions needed on this 314-H

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, George Washington said:

UPDATE - I got it running properly - wont say what was wrong, we will just call it operator error. 

Glad she is running,    but.....We gotta know.

• Like 3

jay bee

:text-yeahthat:

Jim

• Like 1

George Washington
23 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Glad she is running,    but.....We gotta know.

it was basically my inexperience with a throttle and choke - I kept trying to start at a low throttle (made sense to me) or with the choke in the incorrect position. its a bit embarrassing but im used to newer machines with no choke. I knew there had to be something wrong with me because it ran fine at the guys house so I downloaded the operators manual and learned myself some things - there - that's off my chest - don't bust my chops too hard over it.

• Like 5

smoreau

I have some that will only start with full throttle and some that will only start at 1/2 to full throttle when cold. Noticed that each tractor has its own way it likes to start. Just its qwerks 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, George Washington said:

it was basically my inexperience with a throttle and choke - I kept trying to start at a low throttle (made sense to me) or with the choke in the incorrect position. its a bit embarrassing but im used to newer machines with no choke. I knew there had to be something wrong with me because it ran fine at the guys house so I downloaded the operators manual and learned myself some things - there - that's off my chest - don't bust my chops too hard over it.

Thanks George, confession is good for the soul.

And, now when the next NEWBIE has that same problem,  We will all have the answer.

• Like 3

jay bee
4 hours ago, George Washington said:

downloaded the operators manual and learned myself some things

It's amazing what you learn in those things!!!  I don't know why that's always the first thing my kids throw aside and tell me I don't need that thing.  :think:

Jim

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

@George Washington don't let these guys make you feel bad about that nice 314. I couldn't get my 314 to fire up untill I read the owners manual eather. 

You have to lock the brake, shift to neutral and sit on the seat before it will fire. O and turn on the gas. Don't ask how I know that.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

As long as we are confessing......When our 312s won't start, we   check the battery, check the wiring, then find the problem.

Some jerk left the PTO engaged....again.      :wacko:

• Like 5

953 nut

When I bought the GT-14 the PO drove it onto my trailer and shut it off. When I got it home it wouldn't even click the solenoid, jumped it directly to the starter and backed it off the trailer; after reading the operator's manual I found out he had left the PTO switch ON which prevented the starter from operating. You can learn a lot from reading!

Image result for true confessions

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

As long as we are confessing......When our 312s won't start, we   check the battery, check the wiring, then find the problem.

Some jerk left the PTO engaged....again.      :wacko:

:text-yeahthat: As long as I have been operating a wheel horse, there are some things you would think I would learn... nope.

As far as forward/backward, you will probably need to adjust the hydro linkage/cam. There are directions in the service manual (not owners manual) about propping up the rear and adjusting it so the tires dont creep and your fwd/rev speeds are correct. 

• Like 2

TDF5G

Here's my confession for the day.  This past Sunday afternoon I went out to the shed to use the B-80 to do a little yard cleanup, which has sat there neglected all winter with a 3 year old battery in it.  I didn't expect it to start, so I stuck the key in the ignition and turned it to check, and it didn't turn over.  So I pushed it to the house (about 25 yards, and mostly downhill) where I have an AC outlet to jump start it with the boost on my battery charger.  Hooked 'er up and jumped on the tractor to crank it over, when it dawned on me that the clutch needs to be depressed to start it (interlock switch, ya know).  So I gave it a try and she fired right up without even turning on the booster!

I could see in my mind Bugs Bunny standing there.

65051861.jpg.5a85685e508a622b7aedc1ff2c72358b.jpg

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

murr
On 3/13/2017 at 9:38 AM, George Washington said:

I'm going to look at this beauty tonight. Its a 314-H with a 42 or 48 inch deck (not sure yet), canopy (not shown), and 480 hours on the meter. He is the 2nd owner and says its always been garaged. He says he would like to get $600 so I'm almost certain im bringing it home tonight to replace a junky craftsman but I'm curious on the total value of the tractor as a package deal as well as the individual pieces) and also just what everyone's opinion is of the 314H in general - Ill be using it just for mowing and light yard duty (I have a C-160 for heavy work). I know this is a great deal but I would just like to get as much info from others who are more experienced. I always feel better when I'm encouraged by others. This will be my 2nd wheel horse and my wife's first so I want to make sure she loves it as much as I do

314-H.JPG

murr

i have the same model and bagger.  looking for manual for the bagger. specifically, how the belts can be reattached.

any help would be great

WHX??

Try searching in the file/manuals section your model number might help. Maybe the files Mod @gwest_ca can help you out too. 

:WRS:

Edited by WHX24
Manners

WVHillbilly520H
12 minutes ago, murr said:

i have the same model and bagger.  looking for manual for the bagger. specifically, how the belts can be reattached.

any help would be great

This should do it...

tom2p

on the subject of cold starting - I've never started any Wheel Horse tractor with anything but low/no throttle - and then apply choke 

no throttle - and then apply choke 

same with every motorcycle I've owned since the 70's - and every car and truck I've owned ... (obviously fuel mixture is automatically calibrated on majority of current cars and trucks)

no throttle - and then apply choke 

if open throttle is required to start a cold engine - this could indicate a problem ...  too-rich condition caused by not enough air / too much choke - or too much fuel caused by leaking float or stuck needle ...or  similar ... maybe excessive fuel pressure (?) ...