newtowheelsc

1978 c120 front wheel issue

newtowheelsc

Good afternoon

i am trying to get this model functionally working and the front wheel came off.  Does anyone know the size of the eclip for the front wheel and where to get a dust cover?  i thought the manual said it was a half inch but apparently i was wrong.  i assumed tractor supply would know and that was the second assumption i made.

squonk

Take the E clip off of the other side and the dust cap too if it's there. Take them to a Napa store or a good hardware store to match them up

• Like 4

pfrederi

they are 3/4" e clips

• Like 5

gwest_ca

The clip will be 3/4" as they are sized by the shaft size. Actual ID will be smaller.

They are a stamped ring so one side has rounded edges and the other side has sharp edges. In this case install with the rounded side against the wheel. With the groove in the axle cleaned up the sharp edge has more holding ability to keep the wheel on.

One of the vendors produces good replacement items

Garry

• Like 7

oldlineman

I believe some or one of our vendors sells the dust covers, they will appreciate the support. 

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I'm guessing by the title of your post that you're working on a C-120? I believe the front wheels are held on by a 5/16 bolt on a C-120.Could be wrong though.

gwest_ca
39 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

I'm guessing by the title of your post that you're working on a C-120? I believe the front wheels are held on by a 5/16 bolt on a C-120.Could be wrong though.

You are correct but in 1977 they started using the E-clip.

Garry

rmaynard

A little confusion maybe. There is no 1978 C-120. The C-120 ended in 1977. C-121 began in 1978 and ended in 1979. The front axles though were the same on 1977 through 1979, and used the 104822 snap ring (3/4").

• Like 1

rmaynard

As already stated above, the 1976 and prior used a 5/16" bolt and washer as a retainer.

newtowheelsc

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

so the owners manual listed in hand 78 so. i assumed that but here are pictures if this helps for clarification

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Are you saying you have a 1978 manual for a 1977 tractor? Can see the ID plate behind the lift lever. What is on it?

Garry

newtowheelsc

It's a 77 in the paper work i was left it was. handwritten 78 but it's defiantly a 77.  so back to the eclip i assume 

• Like 1

wallfish

I'm surprised guys are using E clips to hold their front tires on instead of snap rings. E clips seem to come off much easier than a snap ring does.

• Like 3

TDF5G
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

I'm surprised guys are using E clips to hold their front tires on instead of snap rings. E clips seem to come off much easier than a snap ring does.

It's been a while since I looked at mine, but I'm pretty sure both of my '77s have snap rings.  Definitely not a bolt with washer.

I checked the parts manual just now and it shows part no. 104822 snap ring changed to  32120-93.

TOR_32120-93.jpg

Edited by TDF5G