slim67

clean 857

slim67
Just now, WHX9 said:

Indeed ...who has the NEED for a front mounted reel mower for an RJ when you have a 60" deck on a 18+ HP tractor??

for those tight spots?

• Like 3

WHX??
1 minute ago, slim67 said:

for those tight spots?

Explain that one to the Mrs. Slim! :)

• Like 1

slim67
1 minute ago, WHX9 said:

Explain that one to the Mrs. Slim! :)

Yours or mine !

• Like 2

WHX??
39 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Yours or mine !

Both the way it sounds!

ACman

Sometimes when she tells me NO...I'll just fall outa my chair and throw a fit   IMG_1735.GIF.0e62fed4eb7fc155a05563e21223ee06.GIF...Then she just looks at me and tells me that's some good therapy...now lets seeya get back in... :lol:

Hate to see what will happen if I come across a reel mower... :)

• Like 5

slim67
Just now, WHX9 said:

Both the way it sounds!

Im sure they want us to be happy. But in case Ill be happy to speak on your behalf !

2 minutes ago, ACman said:

Sometimes when she tells me NO...I'll just fall outa my chair and throw a fit   IMG_1735.GIF.0e62fed4eb7fc155a05563e21223ee06.GIF...Then she just looks at me and tells me that's some good therapy...now lets seeya get back in... :lol:

Hate to see what will happen if I come across a reel mower... :)

I will have to try that.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ACman said:

I'm trying to picture this Jeff   .......... Sounds like she has you under control.    :unsure:

• Like 2

WHX??
4 minutes ago, ACman said:

if I come across a reel mower

4 minutes ago, ACman said:

that's some good therapy

See how easy that was communicating with her Jeff?!?!?:lol:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

for those tight spots?

I might be able to convince Mrs K that  I need 2 mowers,    But with 5 tractors with mower decks and 2 push mowers, I don't even want to open that can-0-worms.

• Like 2

slim67
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

I might be able to convince Mrs K that  I need 2 mowers,    But with 5 tractors with mower decks and 2 push mowers, I don't even want to open that can-0-worms.

1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

maybe she wont notice?

Elkskin's mower junkyard
15 hours ago, cschannuth said:

That is a sweet looking horse. My dad's old 161 looks dark too and it's original paint with some touch up so it might be age. This is it compared to the redone 701 I got from Denny Clarke. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c09983e4a7348cc37e0c2c659760a457.jpeg

what color of red was used on the 701. doesnt look like regal red. looks like sunrise red

my airfilter cover for my 701 using sunride red

0305171855-00.jpg

cschannuth
16 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

what color of red was used on the 701. doesnt look like regal red. looks like sunrise red

my airfilter cover for my 701 using sunride red

0305171855-00.jpg

Denny Clarke had it mixed by a paint shop and professionally painted.  He gave me a couple of partial pints of it that was left over from the paint job. I can try to get you some information if you like. 

Every horse I have is a little bit different color. I don't know if that's because of vintage, age, repaints, etc. 

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 1

slim67
29 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Denny Clarke had it mixed by a paint shop and professionally painted.  He gave me a couple of partial pints of it that was left over from the paint job. I can try to get you some information if you like. 

Every horse I have is a little bit different color. I don't know if that's because of vintage, age, repaints, etc. 

ive been repainting my suburban with the rustoleum sunrise red mainly because I got a free can to start off with and it looked pretty close to me.

• Like 1

slim67

I finally had some time to go get this 857. I had a long week with this weather and snow plowing. My trailer needed attention in the worst way so I wanted to get that squared away, I changed the tail lights to LEDs,repacked the wheel bearings,painted the wheels and replaced the knob on the tongue jack. So thats all I did today after getting tractor. Hopefully I can play with them this week. Here it is alongside the RJ. I got an extra tranny in the deal to.

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

• Like 2

slim67

I had some time to play with the 857 yesterday and the battery is shot. I knew that anyways so Im not complaining. The guy I got it from said when he got it, the wiring was a mess and he had to fix it. Well the wiring is STILL a mess and now I have to fix it. There is a right way to fix wiring and the previous owners way definitely aint it ! Once again Im not complaining as I actually like electrical work and got a laugh when I saw how it was done. I have looked at the 857 wiring diagram posted here ( thank you ) and see I am going to need a voltage regulator. I didnt see a solenoid in the diagram but I think I am going to add one for the starter circuit due to heavier wire . Needless to say the splices were finger wound and wrapped in electrical tape. The cigarette lighter and generator warning light are disconnected as well. It wouldnt take much to hook them back up. Its worth getting back to 100% and its not too involved. 

• Like 1

slim67

I have been going thru this tractors electrical system in an effort to make it original or close to it. When I checked behind the fuel tank, I knew I had my work cut out for me. I needed a voltage regulator since there wasn't one and the ignition switch was not correct. I also bought a solenoid and a new battery. I rewired the entire tractor and the generator warning light and cigarette lighter do work. The carb was a Carter but was as bad as the wiring inside. I used the carb I went thru from the B-80. After getting it all back together I am happy to say it runs better than it did before. It starts without choke idled all the way down.

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

Here is a quick video of it finally running right and a pic with the hubcaps.

IMG_0555.MOV

IMG_0562.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut
On 3/26/2017 at 8:35 AM, slim67 said:

generator warning light are disconnected as well. It wouldnt take much to hook them back up.

:twocents-02cents:    The generator light will need to be wired to the S/G side of the solenoid rather than the "S" terminal of your ignition switch.

slim67

Well good things never last. I should have known some people's definition of a "rebuilt" anything differ from person to person. I rewired the tractor and got everything in order including the gen light and cigarette lighter. One day I had her out and the warning light came on. I checked the voltage at the Field terminal and almost nothing. I came across a S/G about half hour south of me but when I got there it turned out to be a CCW for a Cub Cadet. The guy sold to me much less than he wanted and it is like new so I bought for 40 and gutted it in order to swap the field coils for CW replacements which I got for 50. So for 90 I will get it back in order and call it a day. I will post pics when I reinstall it but here is what I am working with now. I see rebuilt ones for 120 in my neck of the woods. I don't think 40 is bad considering the armature is like new. What do you guys think? I love second opinions.

IMG_0596.JPG

stevasaurus

That is the way to do it...switch out the field coils....and put the Cub one back together and sell it.  Boom-sha-ka-lac-a  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1