HamptonT

Seat Strut

HamptonT

My new to me 314-8 has a seat strut on it to hold the seat up while refueling. It needs to be replaced, but I can't find it on the parts schematic. Anyone know what/where to buy?

Thanks

clueless

You can get a far cheaper one at your local auto parts. A new original is around $70.00. Take the old one to the auto parts store see if they have one the same size.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

This is a classic example of poor design. Could have made the seat simply pivot to rest on the steering wheel like my 1982 C-105. Works like a charm. IMHO Struts in this application are a very expensive way to do what could be done easily for free...Being cheap - I'd go with a broomstick or metal rod cut to size, drill / pin one side to the strut mount and let it pivot down / up to support the seat....My favorite four letter word - 'free'.:twocents-02cents:

But if you do go with a strut - Clueless has the right idea - get a generic replacement...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 6

Jerry77
48 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

metal rod cut to size, drill / pin one side to the strut mount and let it pivot down / up to support the sea

I used  a 1/4 inch steel rod, bent a 90 and used 1/4 inch  collets to attach it to the seat...used a piece of 1/4  inch fuel line on the other end and then bent a 90 on it....works perfect.

MOV01916.AVI

MOV01912.AVI

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

shallowwatersailor

Tractor Supply has one from their pickup bed tool boxes that works.

KC9KAS

The struts that failed on my truck topper had a brand name as well as a number on it.

I "Googled" that info and found new struts very reasonable.

cleat

I use this one on all of my 520's

Direct factory replacement.

Strong arm F4673

Cleat

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Being born with 2 hands thankfully,I hold the seat up with my left hand,pour gasoline out of a 1 gallon jug with my right hand.No fancy fabrication work required.

• Like 1

WHX??

I got the same one as Cleat ......they weren't giving them away but far less than a OEM and was the same thing. 

T-Mo

It's part no. 114343, about $67 from Parts Tree.  Researching this and finding a similar thread from 2013 here gave the same part as Cleat showed above.  You can buy it at Advance Auto parts for about $13.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/strong-arm-lift-support-f4673/19940007-p?searchTerm=f4673&showTitle=&vehicleIdSearch=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdFromReq=-1

• Like 2

Racinbob

I just have to ask. I know about the seat struts but never really thought about them. So, I looked at various years of the 314 and it looks to me like the seat set-up is the same as my 2005. I don't have a strut. The seat just tips forward and rests on the steering wheel. What's stopping you from doing that? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1