Searcher60

Good Source for Tires

Searcher60

Hey everybody, where can I get the best deal on rear tires? 23x8.50x12. Thanks

Lee1977

Remember we need pictures when you get the tires on the tractor.

ACman

:text-yeahthat:... and free shipping to your door ! 

Bought and sold tires from Miller Tire for years....I did end up purchasing my front tires through them :) . Easy to deal with and also got free shipping (was on there eBay store) , even sent me pictures before purchasing .

Home Depot even had good prices on tires.

I just did my homework and searched the net :techie-typing: got all four of my tires for my 520H for a total of $150 delivered... :D  I guess you can call me cheap... :lol:

• Like 6

HamptonT

Hello. Where's a good place for new tires? Also, is a tire change a do it yourself process or is it best to have a shop do it?

Just picked up a 314-8

Thanks

Edited by HamptonT
Added information
  • Like 1

pfrederi

DYI depends on if you have appropriate tools...How many tires are you doing??

Edited by pfrederi

Jerry77
28 minutes ago, HamptonT said:

do it yourself process

Wish you luck - no one in my area will change a tire of less than 13 inch rim...go figure !.. as  pfrederi  said,

you will need the right tools.   :twocents-02cents:

T-Mo

Since this question was just asked recently, I merged the two threads together.

• Like 1

HamptonT

I successfully changed the tires on our 1980 Honda 185 ATC, but that had split rims. I'm very proficient in changing bicycle tires but that's a different animal.

i would assume a similar process with larger pry bars???

Front tires are worn and need replaced.

Rear turf tires are good.

I received a second set of rims/bar tires with the tractor. They don't hold air.

With the second set of rims, I would like to have a quick change set of shoes for the tractor. Just trying to figure out the best combination. Turf tires are a given. In the past (previous Wheel Horse), I've used tire chains for winter snow plowing.

I'll be doing lawn mowing, snow plowing, dirt/grading work, and pulling a trailer for fire wood. I'm thinking a set of turf, a set of bars and a set of chains. Are chains used on bar tires?

thanks

littleredrider

By a harbor freight bed breaker. They have a tire changer, but IMO a huge POS. I use the bead breaker all the time, from tractor tires to ATV to car/truck tires. From there I use big screw drivers to get it off the rim. Not too hard, biggest pain is holding the tire still. I just ordered a set of tires from Miller, super nice people to deal with. Little on the expensive side, but not sure where else you can get the tri-rib fronts from tho. Ags are great tire, all I run. But not so good with chains. The chains end up in between the lugs, and when they don't they lay on top of the lug, creating a high spot, and uneven-ness, read: rough ass ride!!! With turf tires and chains, the tread is a flat surface, and the chains don't fall in between the lugs, meaning smoother ride. If any of that makes sense lol...

• Like 2

JimmyJam
On 3/4/2017 at 9:11 PM, AMC RULES said:

As AMC... has said, those two companies (m.e. Miller Tire and Greater Cleveland Tire) are both very good. Competitive prices and great to do business with. Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

slim67
3 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

As AMC... has said, those two companies (m.e. Miller Tire and Greater Cleveland Tire) are both very good. Competitive prices and great to do business with. Just my :twocents-02cents:

I personally know Greg from Greater Cleveland Tire and have bought tires from him several times. He has always been helpful and easy to deal with.

• Like 1

HamptonT

Wow! I hope changing the 12" wheel tires is easier than the 8". I got one Vredestein V61 on this evening. Now I need to get checked for a hernia before I do the other side....

Good. No hernia. But in all seriousness, that was difficult. I did learn a few tricks. Wear the right footwear. Like boots. 

i could not find a rotation direction on the tire so I hope the blue stripe goes on the outside. I also could not find a max pressure. Anyone know?

953 nut
9 minutes ago, HamptonT said:

hope changing the 12" wheel tires is easier than the 8".

12" are a bunch easier to change.      :twocents-02cents:             Use some rubber lubricant too.

Lee1977

If you don't have one of those small tire changers, I have found that clamping a 3/4" shaft in the vice helps. It's a lot easier if you have a friend to help on those small tires.  I had to change one of those little 4" tires by my self, I finally used the vice grip pliers on the rim to keep it jumping back off when I was trying to get it the rest of the way on. I wouldn't try it if I had just painted the wheel.

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

clamping a 3/4" shaft in the vice helps.

3/4" all thread with a nut and washer at the top to hold it still.  

7 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

vice grip pliers on the rim to keep it jumping back off

:handgestures-thumbupright:   done that too, works good.

• Like 1

WHX??

@Zeek did a nice piece on the HF tire changer for those interested.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Check Summit Racing. They usually have good prices and free shipping over $99. Also they box the tires to prevent weird, contorted tires.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tires/tire-size/23-x-8-50-12

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
11 hours ago, HamptonT said:

Wow! I hope changing the 12" wheel tires is easier than the 8". I got one Vredestein V61 on this evening. Now I need to get checked for a hernia before I do the other side....

Good. No hernia. But in all seriousness, that was difficult. I did learn a few tricks. Wear the right footwear. Like boots. 

i could not find a rotation direction on the tire so I hope the blue stripe goes on the outside. I also could not find a max pressure. Anyone know?

I hope you tubed the front tires. Some people havent had troubles, but V61's of that size are supposed to be tubed and I found that my first set let air get in between the plys of the tire and form bubbles that wouldnt come out for weeks of being deflated and they leaked like crazy (I had a pro shop do mine).... Worked great after being tubed. 

• Like 1

HamptonT
24 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

I hope you tubed the front tires. Some people havent had troubles, but V61's of that size are supposed to be tubed and I found that my first set let air get in between the plys of the tire and form bubbles that wouldnt come out for weeks of being deflated and they leaked like crazy (I had a pro shop do mine).... Worked great after being tubed. 

Yup. Got tubes. 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

You will be good to go then, excellent! :handgestures-thumbupright: