Red144runner

Work horse 1848

Red144runner

Picking one up Saturday. Bit rough, but mostly complete. Sound like tough tractors to me. Thoughts?

953 nut

:wwp:

SylvanLakeWH
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:wwp:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Is this the one?  :scratchead:

01515_i7o80W7Sol7_1200x900.jpg

Red144runner

I didn't take these. I'll post more when I get it tomorrow 

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

• Like 7

Sparky

Regardless of the color it's all Wheel Horse. It has the Eaton 1100 hydro with hydraulic lift. I'm not a fan of the Briggs motors but plenty of guys here have em and they are still running strong. 

The rear axle is geared a bit differant than most hydro's and is a bit faster (I think that's a cool feature!), and if the rear rims are original they are the wider 8.5" rims and are very sought after.

If you find the motor is shot you can install another Briggs or go with a nice Kohler. Good luck with it!

Mike....

• Like 6

cschannuth

I would say go for it. All my Kohlers have had to be rebuilt but my '78 Briggs twin is all original and still going strong. 

• Like 1

Red144runner
50 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Is this the one?  :scratchead:

01515_i7o80W7Sol7_1200x900.jpg

Yes

I had a simplicity broadmoor with a twin Briggs and it ran well. Hopefully the trans is good if the engine is shot I could swap another in. I plan on a restoration for work. Meaning, clean it, get it running and operating reliable and strong and some paint. Seat too. I really like the look of the work horses so I'm stoked to find this. Looks like the wider wheels too

Edited by Red144runner
  • Like 6

BOB ELLISON

I really like the work horse and I like the briggs. I almost got one but I decided not to go get it because it was to far to drive for it. I really like the 18hp ones and that's what it was. It's to late in life now. I've got a 1964  1054 that I'm going to fix and that will be my last restored. So if you can I would say go for it. There all worth fixing up.

Great machines these wheel horse's are

• Like 3

c-series don

I noticed the Rolle Brothers decal on the side. There is a good chance that I saw that exact tractor in the showroom. When I bought my Work Horse brand new in 1984 they had quite a few of them lined up in the showroom, along with many,many black hoods. When I spoke to the last of the Rolle brothers a few years ago he told me that at one time they were the largest Wheel Horse dealer on the east coast. They had a parts room and a showroom that I wish everyone here could see. Just wanted to share a little bit of history of where that tractor came from. Where is it now if you don't mind me asking? No I don't want to buy it, I still have my original Work Horse and one other Work Horse! 

• Like 5

Red144runner

So we took the ride out an hour and a half to get it. Worked well since we are listing our house and couldn't be there till 6pm. It's rough for sure. Front tires are pretty bad, rears are like new and wheels  are the 8.5"! I do have the a/f cover too.

Engine...won't know till I dig into it. I didn't even try to turn it by hand, I suspect it's not stuck. Electrical looks sketchy but this isn't my 3/15 so should be straightforward. Trans moves free in neutral, motion lever moves as does brake and pto. The cooling fan is shot, again I have to strip this one down to see what it needs. Paid $100, maybe overpaid but I've wanted this model. Also subsidized this project by selling 2 commercial walkbehind 36" mowers earlier for a decent profit. The plan is see if I can get it running/moving. The big Briggs doesn't scare me but I've never worked on an eaton 1100. Hopefully it is ok. Then strip it down clean, sand, repair, replace, paint it and put it back to work. Will take a while but should be fun

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

• Like 3

Red144runner
19 hours ago, c-series don said:

I noticed the Rolle Brothers decal on the side. There is a good chance that I saw that exact tractor in the showroom. When I bought my Work Horse brand new in 1984 they had quite a few of them lined up in the showroom, along with many,many black hoods. When I spoke to the last of the Rolle brothers a few years ago he told me that at one time they were the largest Wheel Horse dealer on the east coast. They had a parts room and a showroom that I wish everyone here could see. Just wanted to share a little bit of history of where that tractor came from. Where is it now if you don't mind me asking? No I don't want to buy it, I still have my original Work Horse and one other Work Horse! 

That's a cool story, knowing the history of the tractor! I picked it up in Deerfield mass which is 80 miles west of Albany NY as the crow flies. Guess the horse headed East at some point.

Edited by Red144runner

Sparky

I think you did good for $100. 

Good luck with it!

Mike....

• Like 1

Red144runner

Got it off the trailer and in the shop cause I had to go to work for a couple hours this morning anyway. First, got the screen off the flywheel, loaded with mouse debris. I didn't think it would turn, but it did, and felt good could feel compression but no grinding or friction, could change when a stater spins it over but for now, it's good. Next took the seat tin off, checked gear box oil, and again pretty good. Not milky, a little dark but full. Engine oil was dirty and a little low. So far it's better than I thought. Rear tires are near new, the cooling fan is toast

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

c-series don

Those wide back rims are worth 100 bucks alone. At least to me they are! Please keep us updated on your progress. 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:think:  Should consider pulling them heads...

& checking the condition of the valve seats before trying to put any fire in the hole. 

• Like 1

ACman

Great find there for $100 ... can't go wrong with that :handgestures-thumbupright: .

Now that I know about the Workhorse , I'll be keeping a lookout for one . 

8.5 rims , 1100 Eaton trans and a 18hp B&S (I've owned several , good engine) ... to me that's a good combo !

• Like 2

Red144runner
50 minutes ago, ACman said:

Great find there for $100 ... can't go wrong with that :handgestures-thumbupright: .

Now that I know about the Workhorse , I'll be keeping a lookout for one . 

8.5 rims , 1100 Eaton trans and a 18hp B&S (I've owned several , good engine) ... to me that's a good combo !

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't say these are rare, but not as common as the 11hp models. The 1642 is cool, I've seen one it had the 8spd. Work Horses in general don't show up too often around here you figure you'd see more since it was sold as the "less expensive tractor". Maybe it's because they only made them from '82-'84.

• Like 1

Sparky
5 minutes ago, Red144runner said:

Yeah. The 1642 is cool, I've seen one it had the 8spd. 

I hear ya! I love my GT-1600 although the Briggs was long gone when I got it. Magnum 10 now!

Mike.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Red144runner
1 hour ago, ACman said:
44 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I hear ya! I love my GT-1600 although the Briggs was long gone when I got it. Magnum 10 now!

Mike.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great looking tractor. That's the goal for mine

• Like 3

Red144runner

IMG_3177.thumb.JPG.6f4a414826e7c44e2fbf33a19283b318.JPGLooks like the engine is no good. Damn mice made an absolute mess under the shroud. The ammonia smell burned my nose for 2 hours. The problem is that the mice excrement created a corrosive reaction with the aluminum engine block and destroyed the cooling fins. Poking it with a screwdriver I couldn't find hard aluminum on the front most jug on the flywheel side. Even if I could get it going I doubt this engine would last. Its a setback, I would have liked to keep the original power plant but now I'm looking. I'd like to stay above 15hp. Kohler, onan and Briggs are my options. I'd take a Kawasaki in that range too but none are cheap. Hopefully that trans is good. Fluid was full and clean and it rolls good

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

can whlvr

dam mice,i blew up a 10 hp kohler once due to plugged cooling fins from mice

Red144runner
13 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

dam mice,i blew up a 10 hp kohler once due to plugged cooling fins from mice

I believe it. I've never seen one this bad

c-series don

Man what a bummer 

Red144runner

Dug deeper into tractor. All tins off except dash, fuel tank and rear wheels. Rear end looks good. Little oily, but hoses, fittings, gaskets and seals look good. Axles feel tight and turn smooth but can feel gears. I got a little nervous, but in my foolishness I thought Turing the input shaft on trans would make axles turn. So I called my dealer who told me they need 700rpm to move or for the pump to move the fluid. 

So far

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

• Like 2